PDA

View Full Version : Announcer Poll

jwcomposer
09-28-2006, 12:15 AM
Being an announcer-in-training (I've been training for the past year), I've wondered preferences among horseplayers regarding announcers, and quite frankly, I'd like to create some sort of poll to come up with a statistical (though subjective as it may be) ranking of the active announcers in both thoroughbred and harness racing. So, I ask . . . who are your top five for each breed? Feel free to add commentary.

samyn on the green
09-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Top five announcers

Need strong pipes, call everyone in the field at least once, some insight into the action of tiring horses and those gaining ground(without saying gaining ground). Urgency inthe vocal increasing as the field closes in on the wire.
1 Tom Durken

2 Mike Wrona

3 Mark Johnson

4 Trevor Denman

5 Dave Rodman

Stevie Belmont
09-28-2006, 01:19 AM
Ill base this Pretty much on what tracks I listen to the most. The top 2 are the track I primarly focus on. However there are some callers that I do enjoy, although I do not follow the circuit that closely. I do pay attention to Philly do to it's loaction and activity of local trainers. Gulfstream in thew winter gets a lot of attention from me based simply on it's relation with the top two tracks I mentioned.

Tom Durkin-Still the Champ in my book...The voice of NYRA and the Spring Classics. His Afleet Alex analysis after the Preakness was Emmy Material.

Larry Colmus- He calls a track I follow very closely..I think he is very good...Calls Monmouth, Suffolk and now the Big A

Kieth Jones-Philly Park-Just think he is solid all around and a loud clear voice

Trevor Denman-Almost get as much air time as Durkin, and will now be calling Breeder's Cup Races...If they had to pick a replacement he would be the guy.

Terry Wallace-Oaklawn Park I was sold on him after the 2004 spring races and Smarty Jones. Solid work. Great tone.

Several others I like as well. Honorable mention...Mark Johnson is super and Vic Stauffer can really get pumped up....his little quip during the earthqauke a couple years ago was great.

Don't follow buggy racing one bit.....but Ken Warkentin calls Meadowlands TBreds with Sam Mkee, and I know they both do harness, so they are my top harness guys...Both are excellent.

Best up and coming announcer....well thats Travis Stone...Sounds like a 10 year vet already

JustRalph
09-28-2006, 02:30 AM
don't forget Chamberlain at Sam Houston.........

rrpic6
09-28-2006, 06:38 AM
Bring back Jimmie Dolan from Mountaineer. He never mentions the jock aboard or who ran 2nd or 3rd, just "IN FRONT" or "Heads apart for the lead", followed by minutes of silence. The old-timer at Turf Paradise was a throw-back also, before Luke K. stole his job. I hope the guy at tampa bay stays forever.

Bruddah
09-28-2006, 08:16 AM
1. Vic Stauffer
2. Luke Krytbausch (sp)
3. Terry Wallace
4. Tom Durkin
5. Keith Jones

I don't listen to Harness calls. Just not interested in the buggy races.

bigmack
09-28-2006, 12:02 PM
And the award for the most tired thread topic in all the land goes to................................................ .................................

Who's the best announcer:sleeping:

jballscalls
09-28-2006, 12:50 PM
And the award for the most tired thread topic in all the land goes to................................................ .................................

Who's the best announcer:sleeping:

No kidding, i'm an announcer and i'm sick of us LOL

46zilzal
09-28-2006, 12:51 PM
At least they got SOMEONE to improve that HORRID replacement guy at Philly..Whew he was painful

ghostyapper
09-28-2006, 01:17 PM
It seems that people talk more about announcers on this board than horses.

toetoe
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm with Mack. It's like religion, just too personal.

Of course, I must plug Michael Wrona Boat Ashore. Currently at GGF. :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-28-2006, 05:53 PM
I like the "dots!"

xfile
09-29-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not trying to be biased here but the more I think about it Travis Stone might the up and comer to focus on. The young gun to take the spot of the oldies who are headed out to pasture. His call in the Super Derby was awesome. He should be listed in the top 5 right now IMO :cool:

Zman179
09-29-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not trying to be biased here but the more I think about it Travis Stone might the up and comer to focus on. The young gun to take the spot of the oldies who are headed out to pasture. His call in the Super Derby was awesome. He should be listed in the top 5 right now IMO :cool:

You've gotta be kidding me. He's nothing more than a Tom Durkin imitator. He should get his own style.

TravisVOX
09-29-2006, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Xfile... I really appreciate it.

You've gotta be kidding me. He's nothing more than a Tom Durkin imitator. He should get his own style.

If I was an imitator, it would have been, "The inconquerable, invincible, unbeatable Strong Contender!"

I fully admit my style has a Durkin flavor to it. I grew up in NY and listened to NY only up until OTB joined our cable lineup in high school. I have corresponded with Durkin about it and others as well. All announcers have the flair of their idols when they first started, and when they shared their stories, I felt relieved.

That said, it will take some time to make my call more unique, and more distinctive. I already feel that I have made some good progress. I have worked hard on finding new phrases, sayings, vocabularly words and other aspects here or there. When I'm calling, and I say something that Durkin frequently says, I cringe in my mind and feel sheepish that I did not come up with something different. Moments later, I remember I just started calling full-time in May and realize that it'll take time.

Anyway, I do not mean to ramble. I take to heart criticism and try and incorporate new ideas, thoughts and input.

Zman179
09-29-2006, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the compliment, Xfile... I really appreciate it.

If I was an imitator, it would have been, "The inconquerable, invincible, unbeatable Strong Contender!"

I fully admit my style has a Durkin flavor to it. I grew up in NY and listened to NY only up until OTB joined our cable lineup in high school. I have corresponded with Durkin about it and others as well. All announcers have the flair of their idols when they first started, and when they shared their stories, I felt relieved.

That said, it will take some time to make my call more unique, and more distinctive. I already feel that I have made some good progress. I have worked hard on finding new phrases, sayings, vocabularly words and other aspects here or there. When I'm calling, and I say something that Durkin frequently says, I cringe in my mind and feel sheepish that I did not come up with something different. Moments later, I remember I just started calling full-time in May and realize that it'll take time.

Anyway, I do not mean to ramble. I take to heart criticism and try and incorporate new ideas, thoughts and input.

Boy, you sure know how to make someone who criticized you feel like crap. :lol:
I do like the fact that you're trying to incorporate your own style into your own race calls. Even though imitation is the best form of flattery, over the long run it won't make you stand out in a crowd. Imitation works only for comedians and tribute bands. Take your current style, morph it, do what you have to do to not only improve your level of work, but to perfect it and put your own stamp on it.
You definitely have what it takes to be a top race caller in the game, I look forward to hearing you call a race less like Tom Durkin and more like Travis Stone. When that happens, Trevor better look out.
By the way, if you had tried that "invincible, unconquerable" stuff on a horse winning by a half-length, I woulda hopped on a Greyhound bus with a bat to Louisiana. :lol:

JimG
09-29-2006, 01:40 PM
I like the "dots!"

Tom,

I know you probably said that "tounge in cheek" but the "dots" are a great addition. Hopefully, all tracks will use them. Especially helpful when watching online.

xfile
09-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Ok my official 5 - complete with old and new:

1-Durkin
2-Denman
3-Vic
4-Colmus
5-Travis - go kid :cool:

Travis #5 and on the move

jballscalls
09-29-2006, 02:37 PM
1.Al michaels
2. John Madden
3. Dave Niehaus
4. Kevin Calabro
5. Chris Berman

The Judge
09-29-2006, 02:47 PM
Wrona and Denman but I'm in Cal.

What I can't stand about any announcer and maybe someone can comment on this, when it's clear that a horse has won the race, why do they say "too close to call"? This normally happens after they tried to set-up some sort of close finish as they are coming down the stretch, it just didn't quite develop.

It's almost like I suckerd you guys in (made a mistake) I'm not going to back off now.

TravisVOX
09-29-2006, 03:06 PM
Speaking for myself, the actual point where I call is a good 20 or so feet before the finish. And while I could look to the TV, that split-second of movement can be deadly. Factor in momentum etc., it makes it difficult to jump off the ledge and make the call. Also, I would say that saying it wrong, is worse than not saying it at all.

There have been a few instances where I've laughed at myself for not calling a photo, but there was also an instance where I needed a mop after sweating out the picture.

kenwoodallpromos
09-29-2006, 03:26 PM
I do not follow enough tracks to name names, but this is what I like:
annoucing in a clear voice, naming all the horses a couple of times, announcing any horses gaining on the last turn, announcing "hold your tickets for possible inquiry/ photo" ASAP.

Si2see
09-29-2006, 03:47 PM
VIC STAUFFER, YESSSSS!!!

toetoe
09-29-2006, 06:30 PM
xfile,

Is that Vic Damone, or has our own PickSixVic branched out into racecalling, maybe? ;)

BlueShoe
09-29-2006, 10:58 PM
In all fairness,there are certainly many fine announcers that I have never,or very seldom heard.For example,SoCal does not simulcast Louisiana Downs,so have never heard Travis.Most generally agree with what has been said,with minor exceptions.For whatever reason,do not care for race callers from the present or former British Empire.That said,certainly must put Denman in the top 5 because of his superb way of calling the race flow,whos going to be a threat and who is not.Also in my top 5 would be Tom D.,Luke,Vic Stauffer,and John Dooley.

sjk
10-18-2006, 06:19 PM
I had a winning bet on the horse but it is hard to listen to a call where Ribot's Valor is pronounced "Rib-bots Valor".

Wickel
10-18-2006, 06:46 PM
How about Frank Miramahdi? Here's Durkin, Denman, Wrona, Kruytbosch, Dooley, Stauffer, etc. rolled into one!!

Seriously, Tom Durkin still tops my list. I also like Luke K and Vic Stauffer. Chamberlain (Houston), Cross (Hoosier) and Becker (Keeneland) are the upstarts.

ceejay
10-18-2006, 07:21 PM
One guy's favorite may be another's worst. My favs: Durkin, Luke, Denman, Dooley.

Least: Wallace, Battiglia.

Snow Chief
10-18-2006, 07:26 PM
Dave Rodman in Maryland is very underrated. I hope he gets a big break soon.

BlueShoe
10-18-2006, 07:36 PM
Is Frank Miramahdi the man that called the California fair circuit?Never could catch the fellows name.Whoever it was,in the last race of the day he would do a terrific imitation of a famed race caller,either past or present.Once he did the late,great Harry Henson,it it was like turning the calendar back 30 or 40 years.Fine job.

Zman179
10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
Dave Rodman in Maryland is very underrated. I hope he gets a big break soon.

I don't think that he wants a big break. He's got year-round employment: the holy grail of all announcers.

dylbert
10-19-2006, 12:00 AM
I have enjoyed Mr. Stone's race calling during this current LaD meet. I agree with several posters here that he is up-and-comer.

My favorite announcer remains Dave Rodman who worked for LaD for many years. Rodman gets his spotlight moment each year with Pimlico and Pimlico Special events.

On the other end of the spectrum, LaD tried retread announcers Tony (last name I do not recall) from Fair Grounds and Terry Wallace from Oaklawn Park. Both were miserable! Plus, you had to endure Mr. Wallace's horrid attempt at race analyis in pre-race show and his less-than-vivid replay show work.

My top three would consist of Rodman, Durkin, and Stone. Mr. Wallace should watch out -- new kid on the block, Stone, would be refreshing change during Hot Spring's winter/spring season.

cj
10-19-2006, 01:19 AM
I really like Rodman as well. The only thing he does that REALLY, REALLY annoys me is his constant reminders of the "mile finish line". Since a lot of races are run at a mile at Lrl, it gets tiresome.

I do understand he does it because some of the idiot jockeys can't seem to remember and pull their mounts up, but it still gets old.

jwcomposer
10-20-2006, 08:33 AM
Tony Bentley, perhaps?

I agree, Rodman is VERY underrated.

Doc
10-20-2006, 10:34 AM
My picks for the WORST announcers:

1. Pat Cummings, fill-in at Philly Park ("They'errrrrr racing!" has got to be one of the worst send-offs in the sport)
2. Vic Stauffer (for God's sake, just call the race and leave out the editorials)
3. Dave Johnson (couldn't call a two-horse contest accurately)

My BEST choices:

1. Larry Lederman (have a big laugh while you lose your money!)
2. Durkin (for all the obvious reasons)
3. The Calder guy (who reminds me of Bob Weems, the longtime announcer
at Monmouth Park)

Doc :)

dylbert
10-20-2006, 07:25 PM
Yes, it was Tony Bentley. Thanks for reminder!