PDA

View Full Version : What were the odds on this sad outcome?

PaceAdvantage
09-28-2006, 12:10 AM
1/5?

Second of June euthanized after shattering ankle (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=66740&subsec=2)
Grade 3 winner Second of June shattered his right hind ankle near completion of a one-mile workout on Wednesday at Churchill Downs, and he was euthanized at the Louisville track. Thoroughbred Times (http://thoroughbredtimes.com/todaysnews/newsview.asp?recno=66740&subsec=2)

And what's with all the hind-end injuries I'm reading about this year?

cj
09-28-2006, 12:19 AM
1/5?

Overlay.

Stevie Belmont
09-28-2006, 12:53 AM
I did not even read the story....yet

Did not this guy have a break some time before he was recovering from last year?

Another one history...Part of todays game for sure. To bad.

classhandicapper
09-28-2006, 08:53 AM
IMO, the probability of a breakdown or recurrence of problems is always higher when the horse has a history of physical problems. The worse the problems, the worse the outlook.

OTM Al
09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
I loved this horse from the first time I saw him. He was just injury plagued his whole career so I guess it wasn't really all that surprising. He looked to be coming into pretty good form too. I will miss him.

BIG49010
09-28-2006, 10:18 AM
Was he a gelding? He ran with big front bandages, so he must not have been that sound, I would guess.

OTM Al
09-28-2006, 10:33 AM
He was not gelded. The fronts were probably due to the fact that he had a hairline fracture in one of his legs when he ran in the 2004 Fountain of Youth. That was his first setback of many. He was fast back then though. Ran a 113 BSF despite that fracture in the race and narrowly lost.

BIG49010
09-28-2006, 11:33 AM
Looking back in my notes, I notice Bill Cesare runs most of his horses in front bandages.

Must be his football background, some trainers tape everything, or train them so hard they need tape.

ghostyapper
09-28-2006, 01:16 PM
Wow very cold first 2 posts on this thread. This is a horses life we're talking about here.

I remember he was offered a big chunk of money for this horse right after the FOY but turned it down.

He was a gutsy runner.

PaceAdvantage
09-29-2006, 12:50 AM
Wow very cold first 2 posts on this thread. This is a horses life we're talking about here.

Exactly.

The title of the thread calls it a sad outcome. Not cold at all. Just stark reality.

JustRalph
09-29-2006, 03:38 AM
Gary Seibel was talking about this today on TVG. You could almost see it in his eyes when he talked about the horse "having suffered previous injuries" he wanted to say something........not completely sure what though......but his body language was seriously closed and upset

DrugSalvastore
09-29-2006, 05:15 AM
That horse would have been a sneaky good stallion prospect.

What is with that trainer and these 8 and 9 furlong workouts? Over the winter at GP, I see he was even working maidens that far.

kenwoodallpromos
09-29-2006, 08:35 AM
This year is when I am reading about all the wonderful detection methods- MRI, Ultrasound, XRay, Nuclear scan- are they being used to their best potential? I'm wondering how cognizant trainers are of past problems with a horse- either new trainees or even ones they have been training?
Or do at least some trainers just figure the horse is not limping so it is OK?