PDA

View Full Version : Are we welcome in Iraq?

Secretariat
09-27-2006, 04:01 PM
After reading the post below, I am amazed that we are choosing to stay in a country where 65% of residents want us to pull out immediately, and 71% of Iraqis want us out within a year. This is NOT just a few extremists that want us out as the Prez has inferred, but this is 71% of the Iraqi people. Obviously, we're not winning hearts and minds over there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html

"Most Iraqis Favor Immediate U.S. Pullout, Polls Show
Leaders' Views Out of Step With Public

By Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 27, 2006; Page A22

BAGHDAD, Sept. 26 -- A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

In Baghdad, for example, nearly three-quarters of residents polled said they would feel safer if U.S. and other foreign forces left Iraq, with 65 percent of those asked favoring an immediate pullout, according to State Department polling results obtained by The Washington Post.

Another new poll, scheduled to be released on Wednesday by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, found that 71 percent of Iraqis questioned want the Iraqi government to ask foreign forces to depart within a year. By large margins, though, Iraqis believed that the U.S. government would refuse the request, with 77 percent of those polled saying the United States intends keep permanent military bases in the country.

The stark assessments, among the most negative attitudes toward U.S.-led forces since they invaded Iraq in 2003, contrast sharply with views expressed by the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. Last week at the United Nations, President Jalal Talabani said coalition troops should remain in the country until Iraqi security forces are "capable of putting an end to terrorism and maintaining stability and security."

twindouble
09-27-2006, 04:25 PM
After reading the post below, I am amazed that we are choosing to stay in a country where 65% of residents want us to pull out immediately, and 71% of Iraqis want us out within a year. This is NOT just a few extremists that want us out as the Prez has inferred, but this is 71% of the Iraqi people. Obviously, we're not winning hearts and minds over there.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/26/AR2006092601721.html

"Most Iraqis Favor Immediate U.S. Pullout, Polls Show
Leaders' Views Out of Step With Public

By Amit R. Paley
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 27, 2006; Page A22

BAGHDAD, Sept. 26 -- A strong majority of Iraqis want U.S.-led military forces to immediately withdraw from the country, saying their swift departure would make Iraq more secure and decrease sectarian violence, according to new polls by the State Department and independent researchers.

In Baghdad, for example, nearly three-quarters of residents polled said they would feel safer if U.S. and other foreign forces left Iraq, with 65 percent of those asked favoring an immediate pullout, according to State Department polling results obtained by The Washington Post.

Another new poll, scheduled to be released on Wednesday by the Program on International Policy Attitudes at the University of Maryland, found that 71 percent of Iraqis questioned want the Iraqi government to ask foreign forces to depart within a year. By large margins, though, Iraqis believed that the U.S. government would refuse the request, with 77 percent of those polled saying the United States intends keep permanent military bases in the country.

The stark assessments, among the most negative attitudes toward U.S.-led forces since they invaded Iraq in 2003, contrast sharply with views expressed by the government of Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. Last week at the United Nations, President Jalal Talabani said coalition troops should remain in the country until Iraqi security forces are "capable of putting an end to terrorism and maintaining stability and security."

I would put it to a vote right now, stay or go. You'll get an intirely different responce in my opinion. Hell we could take on Iran, Syria and them if they turn on us. At least we would know who's who.

T.D.

blind squirrel
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
i'm just speaking from a personal experience.my dentist
was in the ARMY reserves.he was called up for 90 days,
sent to IRAQ.i asked him,er,mumbled to him while he was
drilling.

Do the IRAQI'S like us?he said"ah,i'd say 75% want us to
get out of there and just leave em alone"....i didn't read
this in the WASHINGTON POST.

bigmack
09-27-2006, 04:55 PM
i'm just speaking from a personal experience.my dentist
was in the ARMY reserves.
I've always found Dentists to be mischievous pranksters -

blind squirrel
09-27-2006, 05:48 PM
I've always found Dentists to be mischievous pranksters -

you must know my dentist,he was an EXPLOSIVE'S expert
in the ARMY!

JustRalph
09-27-2006, 06:13 PM
When are you going to figure out, it is not what they want. It is what we want........get with it..........

46zilzal
09-27-2006, 06:14 PM
When are you going to figure out, it is not what they want. It is what we want........get with it..........
EXACTLY the sentiment that the WORLD loves to hear.

Tom
09-27-2006, 06:16 PM
Why I bet hitler didn't want the Russians troops in Berlin in April, 1945 either. :lol:

Sec, you just can't resist anything that is negative aboutthis country. Sad.

Secretariat
09-27-2006, 06:42 PM

Really. I thought the Bush argument was this was for the Iraqi people. That it was their country and it was for their freedom and for them to decide.

Well, which is it? The 71% percent of Iraqis that want us out by next year, OR the 29% that want us to stay. You guys are all over the map.

Are you saying JR that we are over there because that is what we (i.e. the bush administration) wants and screw what the vast majority of what the Iraqis want?

What's the WH story of the week this time in response to this?

Bala
09-27-2006, 07:00 PM
Why do "they" hate Americans but

love American currency?

JustRalph
09-27-2006, 09:47 PM
Really. I thought the Bush argument was this was for the Iraqi people. That it was their country and it was for their freedom and for them to decide.

Well, which is it? The 71% percent of Iraqis that want us out by next year, OR the 29% that want us to stay. You guys are all over the map.

Are you saying JR that we are over there because that is what we (i.e. the bush administration) wants and screw what the vast majority of what the Iraqis want?

What's the WH story of the week this time in response to this?

You ever heard of "reading between the lines" the White House never tells why they really do anything........I have been saying for over 3 years now that this was about showing our strength and getting bases and such in the middle east. Once again........get with it.

PaceAdvantage
09-27-2006, 11:25 PM
EXACTLY the sentiment that the WORLD loves to hear.

The world? Dude, as Michael Jackson once sang, WE are the WOLRD!

And until some other power rises up to change that, that's the way it is.

The way I see it, the US has done enough for the rest of the world throughout the years that if they don't like what we're doing today, tough. They owe us a couple of gimmes anyway.....

46zilzal
09-28-2006, 12:49 AM

all the super powers through time have tried, and ultimately failed to make the world Greek, Roman, Muslim, English, French, Spanish, German, Japanese or 'MARE E Kan...Never worked long but they all tried.

Hope it happens after I'm gone but the next on the list appears to be CHINA.

bigmack
09-28-2006, 01:19 AM
the US has done enough for the rest of the world throughout the years
They owe us a couple of gimmes anyway.....
You know what? - That's a chime that needs a pause to consider.

I don't want to go "stars & stripes" here, but this country is, EXTRAORDINARY.
The barbs are continually thrown but pound for pound how bout this place?

We're governed by three branches and oftimes we the people don't agree with their decisions.

While easily criticized by others - How bout it?

What a place - What a country - What a world it would be without it

http://bestanimations.com/Flags/Usa/USA-03-june.gif

betchatoo
09-28-2006, 04:14 AM

The way I see it, the US has done enough for the rest of the world throughout the years that if they don't like what we're doing today, tough. They owe us a couple of gimmes anyway.....

PA...we might be the strongest power in the world but we are not strong enough to take on the world single handed. And a great many people would argue we've done as much to the world as we have for it.

If we truly believe, as GW has asserted, in democacy, then shouldn't we at least let democratic nations make their own decisions?

Secretariat
09-28-2006, 09:13 AM
You ever heard of "reading between the lines" the White House never tells why they really do anything........I have been saying for over 3 years now that this was about showing our strength and getting bases and such in the middle east. Once again........get with it.

Thank you for that clarification. Nothing like a Presidency in a democracy that never tells us why they really do anything. For once we agree.

btw..if they never tell us why they do anything, how could you know? Or are you just guessing. and how can one get with it, when one is never given it since the White House never tells us why they really do anything. An interesting paradox.

46zilzal
09-28-2006, 12:43 PM
If we truly believe, as GW has asserted, in democacy, then shouldn't we at least let democratic nations make their own decisions?

No as Hawkeye Pierce was fond of saying about what the troops were doing in Korea: "We're here to give them white bread and flatulance."

Tom
09-28-2006, 05:18 PM
Screw the Iraqis and screw democracy - if the rest of the damn world wants it, let them fight for it like we did.
I want som eof thesess ninth rate natios to start paying us back for all we did for them. Start with France.
And let that Iraqi oil flow - my my reckoning, it is now rightfully ( or wrongfully - who cares>) OURS!

And Iran - screw thier nuke plants - take out thier oil fileds!

Secretariat
10-12-2006, 10:38 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=410163&in_page_id=1770&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=NEWS&ct=5

Army chief declares war on Blair: 'We must quit Iraq soon'

By TIM SHIPMAN Last updated at 23:53pm on 12th October 2006

The head of the Army is calling for British troops to withdraw from Iraq "soon" or risk catastophic consequences for both Iraq and British society.

In a devastating broadside at Tony Blair's foreign policy, General Sir Richard Dannatt stated explicitly that the continuing presence of British troops "exacerbates the security problems" in Iraq.

Tom
10-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Opinions vary.

I notice, though, that you still don't have one.
Another post with no comment, no dicussion, no reason for posting it?

Not even a simple,"I agree with this!" ?????