PDA

View Full Version : Did he steal a nice one? Smarty's sister.....

JustRalph
09-27-2006, 05:15 AM
http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bin/read/2006/09_24-36/OUT

I find this article fascinating......... with all of the supposed experts at this sale....... it makes me wonder what this guy missed? or did he?

~snippet~
That's what made Gaudet so happy, yet still quizzical. Representing New York real estate developer Morris Bailey, a long-time owner, Gaudet paid a little more than a half-million dollars for three fillies and a colt. Two of them are by Kentucky Derby-winning Fusaichi Pegasus but another with Derby connections seems like the real prize. This filly, which cost $295,000, is a full sister to the highly popular Smarty Jones, Derby and Preakness winner of 2004. His one-length loss to Birdstone in the Belmont Stakes cost him the Triple Crown.

The designation, "full sister," means she is by Elusive Quality out of the mare, I'll Get Along, same breeding as Smarty Jones. And Gaudet, who is usually confident about his knowledge of the game and his work, is confused. He indicated she is "clean." as they say, which indicates she has virtually no indications of any potential deformity or breakdowns

~more at the link~

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2006, 05:32 AM
This filly will certainly has a lot of residual value....and even much more so if Smarty Jones gets off to a hot start at stud.

However, the article doesn't mention that Smarty Jones has a 2yo half sibling by Orientate, that sold for an alarmingly low $40,000 at the Fasig Tipton July yearling sale last year.

The other two half siblings that Smarty has have been pure busts.

With that said, $290,000 for a full sister to Smarty Jones does still seem like one of those to good to be true bargains.

Valuist
09-27-2006, 09:58 AM
I remember hearing that Smarty's dam was a cheap claimer; ran for around 4K/5K on the East coast. That would probably explain the prices. A great race record alone is no guarantee of success for a stallion.

Stevie Belmont
09-27-2006, 03:03 PM
I'll Get Along was a solid hard knocking stakes and allowance mare. She earned over $277,000. Won some minor stakes around the northeast circuit.

In 39 career satrt she hit the board 30 times and won 12 times.

Her sire was Sprint Champion Smile

Her original purchase price was $43,000 by Bob Camac at the Keeneland sale in 93.

She resold for 5 million in 04. She was in foal to Elusive Quality.

Remember is was Bob Camacs idea to breed her to Elusive Qaulity in the hopes of a top miler on grass or dirt. Little did they know they would create one of the fastest three olds we have seen in a very long time.

Stevie Belmont
09-27-2006, 03:18 PM
She was actually sold again at a Keenelnad sale for $130,000 in 2001. That was after the original purchase.

Valuist
09-27-2006, 03:26 PM
Must've been a sibling that was running in the low level claimers.

JustRalph
09-27-2006, 05:22 PM
I'll Get Along was a solid hard knocking stakes and allowance mare. She earned over $277,000. Won some minor stakes around the northeast circuit.

In 39 career satrt she hit the board 30 times and won 12 times.

Her sire was Sprint Champion Smile

Her original purchase price was $43,000 by Bob Camac at the Keeneland sale in 93.

She resold for 5 million in 04. She was in foal to Elusive Quality.

Remember is was Bob Camacs idea to breed her to Elusive Qaulity in the hopes of a top miler on grass or dirt. Little did they know they would create one of the fastest three olds we have seen in a very long time.

I believe the article says that the horse this trainer bought, was the one she was in foal with when she sold for 5 million. fyi

46zilzal
09-27-2006, 06:24 PM
full sibling, The Bride, could not beat a fat man DOWN a hill.

There is enough genetic diversity in the same parents to make full brothers and sisters almost pure guess work.

You rarely will find an Unbridled and a Cahill Road.

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2006, 06:59 PM
The Bride did throw three horses with blacktype, including stakes winner Heavenly Match, who is the dam of Grade 1 winner Personal Business.

Even if this full sib to Smarty Jones can't run a yard, she still holds pretty strong residual value as a broodmare prospect...which is why only $295,000 for a horse, who is described as a pretty decent looking horse, is a surprise.

Stevie Belmont
09-27-2006, 09:44 PM
I believe the article says that the horse this trainer bought, was the one she was in foal with when she sold for 5 million. fyi

She was in foal while selling for 5 million.....but not to Elusive Qaulity....that was Smarty Jones sire as we know

Who broke the world record for a mile on grass in 1:31.6

He also broke a track record at Gulfstream at 7 panels.

JustRalph
09-27-2006, 09:51 PM
She was in foal while selling for 5 million.....but not to Elusive Qaulity....that was Smarty Jones sire as we know

Who broke the world record for a mile on grass in 1:31.6

He also broke a track record at Gulfstream at 7 panels.

then how the hell is she a full sister then?

I'll Get Along had been sold in the sales ring in 2004 for $5 million which made her the most expensive broodmare to be sold that year. She was carrying the new Gaudet runner during the sale which had figured to enhance the value of I'll Get Along.

delayjf
09-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I find this article fascinating......... with all of the supposed experts at this sale....... it makes me wonder what this guy missed? or did he?

Speaking of "the Experts" - I read somewhere that the last 5 top priced Keenland purchases sold for about 30 million - to date have only made 500,000. What's that in ROI :eek: :eek:

Tee
09-30-2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.keeneland.com/sales/sep06/pdfs/233.pdf

http://www.keeneland.com/data/session.asp?SaleID=200702&Session=1
Hip # 233

JustRalph
09-30-2006, 07:55 AM
Wow, on that second link you can see the horses that didn't meet the reserve. Amazing, Vindication looks like a bust at the sale.........and a few Empire Makers too..........

Thanks for the Links!

NY BRED
09-30-2006, 08:44 AM
Speaking of "the Experts" - I read somewhere that the last 5 top priced Keenland purchases sold for about 30 million - to date have only made 500,000. What's that in ROI :eek: :eek:

the big buyers generally concentrate on a big stakes win aside from
blood lines, and most importantly confirmation.

of course, every so often you can watch a game of "war" with
babies like the green monkey going for 16,000,000 with no shot of ever
recouping those $$.

of course ,if you are a sheik, those $$$ are a "drop" in the bucket,
and/or equal to an oil spillage or a momentary drop in oil prices:bang:

Tee
09-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Wow, on that second link you can see the horses that didn't meet the reserve. Amazing, Vindication looks like a bust at the sale.........and a few Empire Makers too..........

Thanks for the Links!

Anytime JR,

Tee