PDA

View Full Version : Belmont 9/27

DrugSalvastore
09-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I'm unveiling a new website.

Pretty much just to try something a little different. I'm doing a weekly column on it and I'm offering free full card analysis for the next ten days at Belmont. A few of my friends think it's a bad idea...but, I should have fun with it.

Anywhere...here is my full card analysis for Wed. at Belmont. The website's url is www.tripanalysis.com (http://www.tripanalysis.com)

Belmont Park 9/27

Race 1 (If you must bet this race, demand value)

A very treacherous bottom level claiming race to start the day. In this field of eight, anyone of seven different horses can realistically win. You have to avoid taking a short price in races like this. #5 JIMMY THE K looks to have a clear-cut pace advantage over this entire group, and his last two efforts at Belmont Park have resulted in wire-to-wire victories with Beyers of 72 and 85. There's not a single horse in the field who's run a figure better than a 72 in it's last two starts. So, why isn't Jimmy The K a slam-dunk? Because those two wins were over sloppy and sealed tracks, and there is a 0% chance of rain according to early weather forecasts. This horse is 2-for-5 on off-tracks, and 1-for-18 lifetime in all other races. His best Beyer on a fast dirt track is just a 60. His win last time out was hardly that impressive either, he went wire-to-wire, and the horse who finished 2nd was pressing him from 2nd throughout the entire running of the race. It's not like he fractured his pace rival or anything. #7 IMPEACHTHEPRO and #8 TALE OF WOE both exit a race at Monmouth Park where they faced real unfavorable circumstances. They found themselves rating in last and 2nd to last place behind a slow first quarter of 22.66, by comparison, a 10K MCL race, and a $5K claiming race for NJ bred mares, both featured an opening quarter 2/5ths faster, in earlier races on that card! Basically, Impeachthepro and Tale Of Woe had no hope. The winner of that race went wire-to-wire and the 2nd place finisher was 2nd at every call. Impeachthepro closed for 3rd. This horse also had a terrible trip at Saratoga against tougher two starts back. He's obviously much better than his recent form suggests, however, he leaves the barn of "Super Trainer" Bruce Levine, as he was claimed by Gary Contessa for the 3rd time in less than one year. This classy old horse ran his seasons best 90 Beyer last time Contessa saddled him. His last win also came for Contessa. He has banked over $700K and once upset Say Florida Sandy in a stake over this track. However, he gets very little pace, has a cold (1-for-54 at meet) jockey, and Levine couldn't win with him in 6 tries. For those reasons, I don't think I'll bet him. Tale of Woe ran sneaky good last time, and is running for the cheapest price of his career, he just has no pace to run into. #4 MORE HECK is worth tossing underneath in exotics at a fat price. He's 18-4-7-2 lifetime at Belmont, and 11-1-0-2 lifetime everywhere else. This is his track.

Race 2 (Exacta box 5 OVER 1A-2-4)

A pair of debuters, for fashionable barns (Rick Dutrow Jr. and Linda Rice) may take some money in here. However, the horses with experience in this race should hold a strong edge. The Dutrow/Prado firster worked just 22 3/5ths at OBS March while under pretty excessive whipping. By comparison, #1A BELLBOTTOM JOHNNY worked a much more fluent 21 4/5th seconds on the same day, at that same sale. The Linda Rice debuter was actually entered in a $50K MCL race in August at Saratoga, but was scratched. The mother of this horse was 8-for-30 and made over six figures in dirt route races. She was out of the exacta in 7 lifetime tries in all other races. Being by sire Victory Gallop leads one to believe she'll be better at longer distances later on. #5 TRICKY TUCK ran a markedly improved race last time out, while getting hung out four wide throughout the far turn. Horse who beat him had softer trip, and returned to run 2nd in a stake race last Sunday. #4 GALAXY EXPRESS was bet to 5/2 odds in his debut, and was able to make the lead from tricky inside post before tiring late. A horse who finished behind him in that race, came back to win a NY Bred MSW race by 4 lengths and paid $87.50, albeit it was over a sloppy track.

Race 3 (Selections: Bet #3)

This race is going to feature a heavily bet entry that I don't want any part of. #1 Crayda has been claimed away from 32% super trainer Peter Walder, a guy who needed only three starts from this horse to move her up 30 Beyer points over the winter. She's failed as the favorite in back-to-back races at or below this level. She doesn't have to win. #1A A BIT OF PRESSURE is probably the most likely winner of this race, and either of her two lifetime races over the Belmont dirt beats this group. However, she was AWFUL in her last two starts, getting loose on an uncontested lead and spitting the bit two starts back. Last time out she finished last in a four horse field, and was beaten a long ways by the 3rd place finisher. I really liked Babyifyourgoodtogo's last race---however, she goes from Todd Pletcher's barn to a trainer who is just 4-for-109 this year. I'll stab and bet #3 MY FAVORITE PET. She's won three in a row at the distance, all by clear margins, and she should find herself leading again over this uninspiring field.

Race 4 (Selections: 8-7-3)

#8 BURN ONE TURN ONE's dam was in the money in seven of nine career turf tries, albeit without winning. This guy set the pace and ran a decent 2nd in 12 horse field in only career turf start at 7.5 furlongs. Should find this type of race to his liking, and was lucky enough to catch a really poor looking field for the level. #7 HERCULES is clearly the main danger to the top pick. This guy has sharp speed, but, is a total stopper on the dirt. The dam won a turf sprint in her career, and offspring of Forestry seem to be super effective sprinting on the turf. Note this horse has worked twice over the lawn since his last race. Trainer wins a lot of races with turf sprinters. Expect improvement. #3 FORTISSI MORE may not have much ability, but atleast he has a turf pedigree...and that's more than can be said for many of these who drew into the main body of the race.

Race 5 (Selections: 6-5-7)

This whole race really centers on what you do with #6 MEN'S CLUB. He seems to be in very sharp form, however, what is the deal with all of these disconcerting class drops he's been taking? He wins a 75K claimer by open lengths, and next thing you know, he's in for 50K. After being claimed for 50K, he runs a strong race behind a dream trip wire-to-wire winner who has since returned to upset an allowance field---off that real solid performance, why is he being dropped from 65K to 35K? And, why is Rudy Rodriguez still riding him? Men's Club has run twice at Belmont, and his Beyers of 85 and 84 are higher than anyone else in the field has run all year. This horse can't lose this race on paper, however, he clearly has some physical problems. #5 MR. MUGS might be the best alternative. He was announced as a gelding for the first time prior to his last start, and ran 3rd without the easiest of trips. He was very washy before that race, so a positive appearance in the pre-race would be most encouraging. The rider change from Pablo Morales to Edgar Prado is encouraging. Improved dramatically in second start of the form cycle when winning his debut easily at todays distance. He does need Men's Club to regress in order to have any chance. #7 PRAIRIE BOY is an honest enough horse. He ran a competitive figure in his most recent dirt start, and goes turf-to-dirt for trainer who is 38% and very profitable with that move.

Race 6- (Selections: 4-2-6)

#4 CAT'S REVENGE has put three pretty solid races in a row together. He figures to appreciate the cut-back in distance. I also expect him to be the one overlooked in the betting among the main contenders in this race. #2 EXTON has never run a bad race over firm turf. He's also earned stakes placing over the surface, when he was third behind multiple turf stakes winners Barbaro and Diabolical in the LRL Futurity last year. Draws favorable rail post, and note that trainer is 27% and has a $3.48 ROI with horses going from dirt-to-turf, from a triple digit sample size. The four second place finishes from eight lifetime starts is pretty disconcerting. #6 GREENERY is once again entered against colts. She figures to improve with starts for trainer who very rarely has them at their best first time out. She did get a pretty good setup last time out, from a pace standpoint.

Race 7 (Exacta Box 4-6. Selections: 4-6-8)

#4 ARTISTIC EXPRESS and #6 REWRITE were both very circumstantial losers last time out, they ran much better than what their efforts on paper may indicate. They have also have each run superior races to the rest of this field. These NY bred turf stakes often seem to be very circumstantial races that have a good deal of chaos to them. I don't see it happening here though. These two look clearly best. #8 HOMERETTE was a perfect trip stakes winner last time out. She's a very honest type who always gets a piece. Gets Prado.

Race 8 (Selections: Single #4 in all multi-win exotics)

How tremendous did #4 CARRIAGE TRAIL look in her dirt victory two starts back? Well, lets first consider 5 horses went wire-to-wire that day, and the horse in front after a half mile produced a record of 10-6-3-0. So, she overcame a track kind to speed. The pace wasn't all that fast, but that didn't matter, as she had no problem closing into it. Maybe most impressive, was the fact that the final time for the race was a jaw-dropping 1.68 seconds faster than the final time in an open N2X for filles and mares, at the same distance, later on in the card! Basically, she was dynamite. Her pedigree is all dirt, no turf on bottom--her trainer isn't very bright, he's kind of slow actually, but I think he's finally figured her out. 6.5 furlongs is obviously a much shorter distance than she wants...hopefully it doesn't take Shug forever to get that right. Carriage Trial isn't running at the correct distance, but at least the trainer has her on the correct surface. The three horses drawn on the inside are absolute need-the-lead types. Those three horses have combined for eight lifetime wins, and all eight of them have come in wire-to-wire fashion. The pace should be very hot. Even though Carriage Trail is a slam-dunk in this spot---she really has no business being in here. At this distance, and with this race-shape, it's the kind of race that might possibly screw her up in subsequent races.

Race 9 (Selections: 1-11-9)

The dam of #1 IVANOVSKY is a sibling to 11 different turf winners, 7 of which won stake races over the lawn!! You have to assume they paid $950,000 for this horse with turf racing in mind. He was second beaten less than one length in his turf debut, a future multiple Graded Stakes winning turf horse named After Market beat him. The 3rd place finisher in that race has been fairly competitive in turf stakes lately. However, since that race, Ivanovsky has failed twice more, albeit against tougher. Pletcher has had his fill of this horse, he's in for a tag, and he draws the rail. Note Pletcher is 33% and profitable with the MSW-to-MCL move. #11 WATCHTOWER was VERY aggressively warmed up prior to his last start. It's a bizarre thing to see done to a horse stretching out over a quarter mile in distance, and running in an 11 furlong turf marathon. Not surprisingly, after being put on his toes with that move in the warm-up, he did not relax much and set a fast pace for the distance before tiring very badly late. Have to wonder if he's maybe a bit arthritic after seeing him warmed up like that last time. The cut-back in distance should be to his liking. Royally bred son of Dubai Millennium out of a Group 1 winning Euro mare is offered up for a tag for the first time. #9 SILVER CLIFF also has a decent turf pedigree--but it's more subtle, so this guy isn't a monumental flop like the top two picks. He's run a pair of pretty decent 4th's at this level and he should improve with the huge rider switch from the dreadful Herberto Castillo Jr. to Kent D.

keilan
09-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Drugs – took a stroll through and liked it. :)

Wishing you all the best with the new site

p.s. – happy belated b-day :jump:

Suff
09-26-2006, 01:50 PM
ShaZaam! doe's are some precise race interpretations!

player in the hiz huh. only for free for sale.

as da jigidees say down at the wise cracka lounge.Picks-n-shit.

You got me to my card early. Be posting my own slate later

WINMANWIN
09-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Drug S, With all due respect, How do you leave out HE'S HURR HERCULE'S in the 1st :confused: He gets an extra 1/2 furlong, likes the surface and is in nice form. If he's not in the Exacta, I LOSE. I also think the Rice Entry will be Tough in the 2nd and will Key it, Along with the Contessa Entry in the 3rd.

Suff
09-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Drug S, With all due respect, How do you leave out HE'S HURR HERCULE'S in the 1st :confused: He gets an extra 1/2 furlong, likes the surface and is in nice form. If he's not in the Exacta, I LOSE. I also think the Rice Entry will be Tough in the 2nd and will Key it, Along with the Contessa Entry in the 3rd.

He could back up Butchie. Impeach The Pro should key-rush these. Old goat will get a pace....Contessa skirts jail by shipping him across state lines for the drop, within 30 days, after a claim. I thought they ran Michael Gill out of the business for shit like this?

yea...anyway. Impeach the Pro. That's your winner. .. who the hell is Goberdahn btw?

I like the deuce for a number as well. 7 & 2 in the opener.

WINMANWIN
09-26-2006, 07:17 PM
He could back up Butchie. Impeach The Pro should key-rush these. Old goat will get a pace....Contessa skirts jail by shipping him across state lines for the drop, within 30 days, after a claim. I thought they ran Michael Gill out of the business for shit like this?

yea...anyway. Impeach the Pro. That's your winner. .. who the hell is Goberdahn btw?

Impeachthepro certainly likes the oval, and will be on my Exacta tickets, But
this Apprentice A. Rodriquez rode him well last outing, and I am anticipating another good ride. This apprentice should be a force in the next months.
Jockey Goberdahn is on the #1 and will be the only steed I leave OUT OF my Exacta's. I am not familiar with the Jockey either. Good Luck to ALL

DrugSalvastore
09-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Thanks Keilan!

As for He's Hurr Cuelee's....I wouldn't be surprised if he, or anyone else in that race (besides the hopeless Tarakan of course) win.

He did get a nice setup last time, and he might not get it again today. I realize trainer Diane Balsomo has done as well as can possibly be expected with this horse since claiming him from Rick Dutrow Jr.

Honestly, I don't like the first race at all, and I will not be betting it for much money.

I wish we had a better betting card tomorrow, with a few longshots that I would be very excited to bet, however, it didn't happen like that.

keilan
09-26-2006, 10:22 PM
Hey Drugs -- I spent a couple hours looking at tomorrow’s Belmont card, tough opening day!!

A mutual friend of ours said you were “a sharp player” so I’ll be following along and occasionally purchase your card analysis. For quality information $10 bucks is a bargain.

chickenhead
09-26-2006, 10:40 PM
Best of luck on your new endeavor Drugs, I think you'll do well.

Wee bit of advice tho?: hook up some better background colors. :kiss:

ELA
09-27-2006, 12:47 AM

Actually Contessa didn't skirt the jail rules -- those are the jail rules. The horse is in jail for the meet. As far as the raise/drop, at Monmouth you only have to race for a 25% raise within 20 days. In NY it's 30. Once the meet is over, jail ends.

Eric

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2006, 06:21 PM
Anyway. A brief recap.

My top selection won 2 out of 7 races.

I recommended two exacta box's, one of them hit. The 4-6 Exacta box in race 7 paid $30.20 with the shorter priced horse winning.

My three selections ran 1-2-3 in race 9 for a cold $169.00 trifecta.

My Pick 4 single was scratched. I did have the winner in the other three legs of the Pick 4.

Anyway, I did have a few bad opinions early on, but...more importantly, I made money betting today. And that's pretty much all the game is about.

Suff
09-27-2006, 07:03 PM
Actually Contessa didn't skirt the jail rules -- those are the jail rules. The horse is in jail for the meet. As far as the raise/drop, at Monmouth you only have to race for a 25% raise within 20 days. In NY it's 30. Once the meet is over, jail ends.

Eric

Yea, figured I was missing something there, but that rarely stops me from making unsubstantiated allegations.:rolleyes:

Explain to me if your able, and inclined. Despite the Purse being 18K, the tag was for 10. Now, if I'm correct, Contessa couldn't have done this if he Claimed at NYRA on 9-1-06, but he could do it from Monmouth to NYRA, or even NYRA to Finger lakes? or vice verse?

You can't claim at NYRA for 16, and run back at 10, only 25 days later, despite the higher purse?

WINMANWIN
09-27-2006, 07:27 PM
A pair of debuters, for fashionable barns (Rick Dutrow Jr. and Linda Rice) may take some money in here. However, the horses with experience in this race should hold a strong edge. The Dutrow/Prado firster worked just 22 3/5ths at OBS March while under pretty excessive whipping. By comparison, #1A BELLBOTTOM JOHNNY worked a much more fluent 21 4/5th seconds on the same day, at that same sale.

Sometimes the less we know the better :bang: I keyed the Rice Entry Thinking that the Dutrow steed was the Lesser, and BellbottomJohnny was superior :eek: It cost me a Juicy pick 4 for $1,000.00 Multiple times. I made up for it somewhat with the late Pick 4, Nice over all analysis Drug S, but I wished you didn't fill me in on the above OCALA SALE works....... :)

twindouble
09-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Good luck Doug;

I couldn't find anywere on your home page to register? I think it's a good idea, as a matter of fact, I came here tonight wondering is anyone gives rundowns on the races the pick. Thinking maybe someone handicapped the old fashion way. :D

T.D.

DrugSalvastore
09-27-2006, 09:57 PM
Sometimes the less we know the better :bang: I keyed the Rice Entry Thinking that the Dutrow steed was the Lesser, and BellbottomJohnny was superior :eek:

Well, those were two furlong works, and the Dutrow debuter broke last and had just one beat early..while the Rice who worked faster was up battling for the lead. So, they played true through the first two furlong of this race.

The Dutrow winner was real cold on the board....he was being bet like a horse who wasn't live.

I don't mind at all losing to a horse like that. Sometimes those type of horses will win...but they are just comically bad long-term bets.