PDA

View Full Version : Gorgeous George Imperious in QE II Stakes at Ascot (Europe's Championship Mile Race)

jfdinneen
09-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Gorgeous George (George Washington - exceptional winner of English 2000 Guineas) was back at his imperious best at Ascot today when winning the Group 1 QE II Stakes (unoffical European Mile Championship) beating four Group 1 winners almost without coming off the bridle.

This was an exceptional training performance by Aidan O'Brien (Ballydoyle) given that this horse suffered a serious injury when finishing second behind Araafa (second today) in the Irish 1000 Guineas - he was out of action for four months until his prep race a couple of weeks ago at Goodwood.

All going well, he is coming to Churchill Downs for the Breeders Cup Mile and if he brings his 'A-Game' to town he will be very difficult to beat.

Best wishes,

John

Cesario!
09-23-2006, 12:10 PM
Here's a replay:

http://www.attheraces.com/article.asp?hlid=351006&title=Free+Broadband+Archive&lid=nav+-+video&ref=Nav+-+Video&nav=video&sub=Free+Broadband+Archive&day=Thu

Click on Race of the Day...

Have to agree with the announcer's assessment. Wow.

Stevie Belmont
09-24-2006, 12:39 PM
What stock they have. Amazing.

Humph
09-25-2006, 04:15 AM
If there were any doubts about G.W. being the real deal before Saturday, there certainly cannot be now, as he murdered the winners of virtually all of Europe's top mile races at Ascot.

Here's wishing him a peaceful and totally uneventful journey over to the B.C. ( I'm led to believe he is very highly strung), as he has to be Ballydoyle's main chance of success at Churchill - unlike one or two other challengers from his barn, we know he will be racing under his optimum conditions, granted decent ground.

the little guy
09-25-2006, 10:07 AM
I saw the race....he had a perfect trip and won by a little over a length.

Don't get me wrong, he's obviously a very good horse, and after his injury and less than perfect trip in his return it's nice to see him return to the winner's circle, but I'm not so sure what was SOOOOO great about Saturday's win. From what I've heard there are currently comparisons being made, in England, between him and Rock of Gibralter. That seems ridiculous if you ask me.

Fortunately for him he doesn't rate to be facing any killers in the BC Mile.