PDA

View Full Version : Who needs Equibase?

linrom1
09-23-2006, 10:08 AM
DRF on Data Collection

Link (http://www.drf.com/news/article/78860.html)

deleted by me, already posted elewhere

Tom
09-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Nice to see some tracks have made it into the 21st century.
EB is wallowing in the 19th!:bang:

Here we have two traccks blazing new territory to improve the game while EB is putting all its resources into.......preventing people from seing charts!
And NYRA is shrinking it's services. Whoa boys..... nice busniess models!

There are always those who failt to move forward and die out - buggy whip companies, fer instance.
EB, hopefully, will be one of them.

I don't see a good place in the future for a backward thinking EB.
buh bye.

the_fat_man
09-23-2006, 01:07 PM
"data collected by the system -- which could be used to develop highly detailed handicapping products -- would be owned by two separate entities. All traditional point-of-call data -- the time of the first-place horse, plus the lengths separating race entrants -- will be owned by Equibase, the racing industry's sole data-collection company. All other data will be owned by Trakus and the racetracks where the system is employed, Weisbord said. 'There was a concern, obviously, that the racing industry would lose control of its traditional data, so that's why it's structured that way,' Weisbord said".

That's interesting. The way things are run presently, one certainly gets the distinct sense that the tracks and NOT EQUIBASE make all decisions concerning data.

Tom
09-23-2006, 01:14 PM
Those of you who arae familiar with Sartin's K Gen can see the possibilities here - a pace graph of the entie race-you could easily spot a horse's running style by the shape of the curve.
What better way to determine if a race was abberant or not.
The downside to K Gen is you have to manually enter the data.
With this new stuff, beaten lengths become obsolete - they would not matter at all. You could have mulitple points on a graph for each past peformance pace line and visually pick your lines.

I could see a prgram like Equibase beind able to improt all the data, run multiple scenarios based on actual tace data and predict likely pace match ups, and pikc the lines for you accrodingly.
I hope I live long enough - after, it was what, 8 years for saddle cloth colors?:rolleyes::bang:

GameTheory
09-23-2006, 05:18 PM
That's interesting. The way things are run presently, one certainly gets the distinct sense that the tracks and NOT EQUIBASE make all decisions concerning data.Well, the tracks own Equibase, don't they? Each individual track can do what it wants with its own data, as far as I know...

karlskorner
09-23-2006, 06:42 PM
What a golden opportunity for Program and System sellers. Throw out the old, we have something "new" to offer.

the_fat_man
09-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Well, the tracks own Equibase, don't they? Each individual track can do what it wants with its own data, as far as I know...

So Equibase played no role in the the decision by the NYRA to revamp its database, doing away with all the achived data, as some have surmised.

Tom
09-24-2006, 12:54 AM
In the right hands, this new technology could be the "holy grail" of handicapping. Since it is in the hands of THIS industry, I am not holding my breath for anything of substance any time soon. :bang:

highnote
09-24-2006, 03:15 PM
The last two paragraphs of the article are very important, IMO.

The renovations to the racetrack itself included a complete reconfiguration of the main racing oval, plus the installation of new safety rails. Nicholson said that the difference between the highest and lowest point on the track had previously been nine feet; the difference is now a half-inch, Nicholson said.

The reconfiguration also allowed Keeneland to address the lack of symmetry to the previous track, which was lopsided. The track is now symmetrical all the way around, Nicholson said, contending that the new shape would be safer for horses and riders going into the first turn, which had been much tighter under the previous configuration.

Wonder if we'll still see an inside bias? Wasn't that a problem in the past?