PDA

View Full Version : Blanton's Single Barrel Bourbon Whiskey

highnote
09-23-2006, 02:52 AM
Anyone ever had Blanton's Bourbon Whiskey?

We had a drink after work last week and someone pulled out a bottle of Blanton's that they said was a gift. I immediately noticed the horse and jockey attached to the cork stopper.

We each had a little taste of it. It was the first time I ever had whiskey that tasted good. So I visited their website. http://www.blantonsbourbon.com/

They have 4 different classes of bourbon. The only one I could find at my local liquor store was their cheapest -- but it was also the one I had at the party. So I bought a bottle. 750ml for $45. Seems a bit pricey, but it will probably last me 5 years. Maybe not. I've been drinking a little every night. (That explains all my ranting and raving the past fews days on PA. :D )

Just wondering what others think of this brand and if they can recommend anything of the same quality. Thanks.

OTM Al
09-23-2006, 12:59 PM
Not a whiskey drinker myself, but Blantons is nice.

chickenhead
09-23-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm a whisky drinker, but haven't had Blantons. I don't normally buy the real good stuff, been on Crown for a while now, for Bourbon usually Wild Turkey.

highnote
09-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Maybe I'll try Wild Turkey when my Blanton's runs out. Hopefully, my Blanton's will last awhile. If not, I'm in trouble. This could get expensive. :D

Ponyplayr
09-23-2006, 07:43 PM
Evan Williams is a decent bourbon and reasonably priced. It also makes a good BBQ sauce and Marinade

http://www.evanwilliams.com/

Show Me the Wire
09-23-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm a whisky drinker, but haven't had Blantons. I don't normally buy the real good stuff, been on Crown for a while now, for Bourbon usually Wild Turkey.

Wild Turkey:ThmbUp:

kingfin66
09-23-2006, 10:54 PM
Evan Williams is a decent bourbon and reasonably priced. It also makes a good BBQ sauce and Marinade

http://www.evanwilliams.com/

I agree with the first part of your statement. Evan Williams is indeed a very smooth, and extremely inexpensive, bourbon. The second part has me scratching my head. Do you mean that Evan Williams also has a line of BBQ sauces and marinades. Or, do you literally mean that the bourbon itself is a great BBQ sauch and marinade

kingfin66
09-23-2006, 10:55 PM
Makers Mark is a great whiskey. It excellent for making both Mint Juleps and Manhattans.

Show Me the Wire
09-23-2006, 11:42 PM
Agree Maker's Mark is an enjoyable product, usually consume some when I make it to Churchill Downs. I believe the label states the beverage is Whisky whitout the "e".

GaryG
09-24-2006, 08:09 AM
I'm a whisky drinker, but haven't had Blantons. I don't normally buy the real good stuff, been on Crown for a while now, for Bourbon usually Wild Turkey.I have been called a wild turkey on more than one occasion but I sure do like Jack Daniels. It is made in a dry county in middle TN.

Ponyplayr
09-24-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree with the first part of your statement. Evan Williams is indeed a very smooth, and extremely inexpensive, bourbon. The second part has me scratching my head. Do you mean that Evan Williams also has a line of BBQ sauces and marinades. Or, do you literally mean that the bourbon itself is a great BBQ sauch and marinade
King..They make BBQ sauce and Marinades, you can order from their store...They also have recipies on their home page.

bcgreg
09-25-2006, 10:55 AM
http://www.woodfordreserve.com/age.aspx

Best damn whiskey I've ever had.......or had me! :sleeping:

Bob

Wiley
09-25-2006, 02:59 PM
Though a Tennessee whiskey, I like Gentleman Jack double charcoal filtered and for a cost effective nice but not quite as smooth bourbon I buy Jim Beam for around $13 for a 750 ml bottle. Haven't tried Blanton's but will give it a shot.

Ponyplayr
09-27-2006, 09:46 PM
http://www.woodfordreserve.com/age.aspx

Best damn whiskey I've ever had.......or had me! :sleeping:

Bob
Yes!! Nice ..I receive E-Mail on their thoroughbreds..One of these days I am going on a tour of Bourbon Distilleries and Horse Farms in Kentucky.

I plan on moving back to southern Indiana next spring.. way too many hurricanes in Florida.

highnote
02-12-2007, 02:12 AM
Makers Mark is a great whiskey. It excellent for making both Mint Juleps and Manhattans.

I had a sore throat this weekend so I bought a 5th of Makers Mark. Very smooth. Did a nice job on my sore throat, too! I've been drunk all weekend. :ThmbUp:

Not really. But I did drink more than half the bottle. I even had a shot at 10 o'clock this morning. I woke up and the pain had moved from the top of my throat to the middle of my throat overnight.

A small nip of Makers Mark alleviated the pain almost immediately.

It tastes a whole helluva lot better than cough syrup.!!!!!

And works better, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll never drink Nyquil again. :D

PlanB
02-12-2007, 07:36 PM
All good stuff. I like a double shot of OBAN. It's smooth & very direct.

highnote
02-22-2007, 11:43 PM
I have been called a wild turkey on more than one occasion but I sure do like Jack Daniels. It is made in a dry county in middle TN.

I tried Jack Daniels this week. It was a small bottle of "Old No. 7".

I didn't like it as much as Makers Mark or Blanton's.

Jack D Old No. 7 is very smooth, but it doesn't have as much flavor or body as Makers Mark or Blantons.

I'll try Wild Turkey next.

Only problem is that my liquor store doesn't always have the small bottles. I don't really want a fifth. Oh well. I could have worse problems. :D

highnote
02-25-2007, 03:25 AM
OK. So I'm trying the Wild Turkey now.

At first taste, it was more bitter and not as smooth as Makers Mark. Nor did it have the complex flavor of Blantons. On second and third taste it is not as bitter. So maybe it was something on my palate that caused the bitterness.

It also doesn't seem as sweet as Makers Mark.

So far, I've tried three Bourbons and one Jack Daniels.

Makers Mark is my favorite because of its smoothness and sweetness. It has a buttery flavor -- which I really like. Also a good body.

Blantons is my second pick. It's the most expensive. It has a very nice, complex flavor, but is not as smooth as Makers Mark. But it does have a lot of body.

Wild Turkey is not as smooth as Makers Mark and also not as sweet. In fact, it is kind of bitter and has a bite. And not as much body as MM or Blantons.

Jack is my least favorite. No body, not as smoot as MM, not much flavor.

If I could find a bourbon with the flavor and body of Blantons combined with the smoothness of Makers Mark I will become an alcoholic.

I want to try all the reasonably priced brands. Then I'll move up to the expensive brands. I'm interested to see if the higher price is justified.

Blantons is twice the cost of Makers Mark, but I prefer Makers Mark.

But I must say that it was because of Blantons that I got interested in Bourbon. So I can't knock Blantons. It is a good product. As is Jack, Wild Turkey and MM. I just prefer MM the most.

Show Me the Wire
02-26-2007, 12:16 AM
I think your review is on the Mark :ThmbUp:

BIG RED
02-26-2007, 04:53 AM
Wow, isn't this strange.

Jim Beam got the better of me saturday afternoon with an old friend I bumped into while doing errands. That's why I MISSED putting in the P4 that day :D Was it smooth, Heck, I don't remember!

Anyone hear of Rebel Yell. It's a sour mash we couldn't get up here north. Some guys used to bring it back with them, cases at a time. Haven't had it in awhile, but I remember that was smooth as silk with a kick.

Ponyplayr
02-26-2007, 08:03 AM
Red..Rebel Yell is a nice sipping Bourbon. If you can't find it locally you can buy it on the net. http://www.internetwines.com/pa91964.html

BIG RED
02-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks Pony, that's it. Golden in color and long before the Civil War, but that price looks dirt cheap. I wonder if it is still good, will have to stock some. Been a long time since I was around 'Ole Yeller'!

Ponyplayr
02-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Red..That price is close to what I pay for it down here. Close in price to Evan Williams. Ever gave old Rip Van Winkle a try ? Nice stuff.

highnote
03-01-2007, 11:06 PM
I live in Connecticut and I saw a bottle of Rebel Yell. Will get to that soon.

Just tried some Jim Beam. Not bad. Flavor not as good as Blanton's -- at least to my tastebuds.

It has good body, but still a little bit of a bite -- not as smooth as Makers Mark.

I'm trying all the inexpensive Bourbons first. Then I'll move up to the more expensive ones -- like Blanton's.

My goal is to find a bourbon with as much flavor as Blanton's, but with the smoothness and body of Makers Mark and with a price of Jim Beam or Wild Turkey.

Maybe the ideal bourbon doesn't exist at the lower level. But it sure is fun trying to find out!

GameTheory
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Paul Newman drank JTS Brown in The Hustler, so you gotta try that one. It is made by Heaven Hill...

highnote
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Paul Newman drank JTS Brown in The Hustler, so you gotta try that one. It is made by Heaven Hill...

Now that's trivia.

But thanks. Definately will give it a try!

Just finished off a pint of Jim Beam and cracked open an Evan Williams.

WOW! What a very different bourbon than Jim Beam. Very fruity or flowery flavor. Not quite sure how to describe it.

Jim Beam was 40% alcohol. Evan Williams is 43%. You can definately feel the difference. Talk about Global Warming. :ThmbUp:

Williams has a good body and you can really taste a woody flavor. Maybe it's an oak flavor from the barrels?

It has a bite and is not as smooth as Makers Mark.

It is definately a unique taste experience.

I still would rate it below Makers Mark and Blanton's but it's a close third because it has such an interesting flavor.

It might be awhile until I buy another bottle to sample. I've got a 5th of Williams to consume. In the meantime, I will enjoy the journey. :ThmbUp:

PS
I also realized I should only drink half a bottle and then buy the next bottle. It would be nice to be able to go back and compare brands. It would be interesting to go back and try Makers Mark side by side with Evan Williams. I'd like to see if Makers Mark is really as smooth as I remember it.

highnote
05-09-2007, 02:43 AM
I tried Woodford Reserve. It cost $31 for the bottle compared to $24 for Makers Mark.

It is definately not as smooth as MM. It has a lot of bite -- which is what I don't like. I don't notice much flavor -- a little bit of oak maybe. I won't buy it again.

I really like Makers Mark's smooth buttery flavor. And I like the complexity of Blantons.

I'm still trying to find a brand that combines those two attributes. Maybe the ideal bourbon for me doesn't exist.

Maybe I can pour those two brands together in to one bottle!

Next on the list is Rebel Yell and JTS Brown.

highnote
05-16-2007, 03:34 AM
WooHoo!! I have found the nectar of the gods and it's 107 proof Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey aged 7 years.

It is called Baker's. What an incredible drink. No. The word "drink" does not do it justice. Libation is a much better word.

I do not know how to describe it. It is numbing. It numbs the tongue upon first touch. It numbs my bones after only a glass.

It is slightly sweet if you leave it on your palate for several seconds. That is, if you can leave it on your palate. It quickly begins a pleasant burn as the vapors exite the nostrils.

It is not smokey, nor woody nor buttery like other bourbons. It has a slight bite, but not an unpleasant one. The aftertaste is kind of creamy.

It has an elusive quality about it. (notice the horse racing reference, PA.)

There might be no good way to describe it. You might have to experience it for yourself.

This is the most expensive bourbon I've bought. $42 for 750ML.

The same sized bottle of Woodford Reserve was $31. (After tasting Baker's, Woodford isn't fit to spit down my sink -- just kidding, Woody. You're good, too.)

Why am I talking to bourbon? Told you the Baker's was good. :D

This could become an expensive hobby.

My goal was to find a bourbon I liked better than Blanton's, but cost less money. Baker's fits the bill pricewise, but not by much. But tastewise, it is better by an order of magnitude.

So I will probably employ Maker's Mark as my "everyday" bourbon and save the Baker's for special occasions -- at least until the next trophy bourbonette comes along.