PDA

View Full Version : Let the Real Games begin

Bathless
09-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Enough with the Wolverines, Irish, Buckeyes and Trojans.

Saturday we've got Haaaaaahhhh-vad at Brown and Yale at Cornell.

Lions, Tigers, Quakers and Big Green still playing practice games, but starting for real beginning September 30th.

Think of it:

- True student athletes
- Crowds in the hundreds
- Hot dogs sold by future MBAs
- Double digit Wunderlic scores
- Semi-attractive coeds
- Half-time entertainment: Summarizing Proust contests

College football the way it was meant to be....

Bathless
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Yesterday, my old Columbia roomie called to convince me to venture into NYC for the Princeton game next Saturday.

I told him that I didn't need another disappointment. I'd rather go up to Canada and watch them slaughter the baby seals. I could root for the seals.

In my undergrad days, Princeton was ranked in the top 15 in the country (that's overall, boys and girls -- Division 1-AA hadn't been invented yet -- Ivy football was actually pretty good once). Princeton led 8-7, but Columbia had the ball deep in Tiger territory as the clock wound down. I think the game ended on their 4 yard line. 4 yards from the upset of the year.

In 2000, the roomie and I went into Baker Field for the game. For 3 1/2 quarters, Columbia pushed Princeton all over the field. Then the bad guys rallied to tie it and send it into overtime. Their field goal kicker was invited to the Senior Bowl; ours had two left feet (think Eugene Levy in Best In Show). They won, 24-21.

In 2003, I was returning with a friend from the Handicapping tournament at DEL. As we were coming home up the NJ Turnpike, I tried to convince him to stop in at Princeton for the game. It was a rainy night, so I got talked out of it easily. Columbia went on to win on the final play of the game, the Lions' only victory at Princeton in my lifetime.

I have still never seen Columbia beat Princeton in football. I don't ever expect to.

We won't even get into The Streak.

Valuist
09-21-2006, 10:15 AM
Ivy League football....or basketball....

:sleeping:

Bathless
09-21-2006, 10:30 AM
Ivy League football....or basketball....

:sleeping:

Yep. There are always a few kids who get to the next level, but not many. It has become a big snooze.

Even the half-time shows aren't that good anymore. The national creativity crisis is pervasive....

skate
09-21-2006, 04:25 PM
well, since i don't really follow the game anymore, i shouln't really comment, but that's where my foot belongs.

i started to lose respect for the game, when they took the ivy off the cards.
they go about their games without the flare and without scholarships (at least they use to).

but, i d o understand, if you are into the game, in todays world, do not consider the ivy or temple.