PDA

View Full Version : Vosburgh horse-by-horse analysis...

Bubbles
09-19-2002, 05:00 PM
Hey all...

With the Breeders Cup just around the corner, key races will be run. The first one at Belmont is the seven-furlong Vosburgh Stakes. Here's a horse-by-horse analysis of the race, plus my picks...

1) Multiple Choice-Last two races were pretty good (Two straight thirds at long odds.), and he was coming at the end in both (A.G. Vanderbilt and the Forego.). With his late rallies, this was a logical spot, and he sure wouldn't mind a huge pace collapse; a smart play in exotics, especially if at 10-1 or longer.

2) Griffinite-The polar opposite of #1. I have no clue why his trainers put him here instead of running him in an allowance. We haven't seen him since the Brooklyn, where he ran a distant third in the slop. He's an outsider to win, but he may be up there early.

3) Voodoo-Loved his last race at Saratoga, where he won over Aldebaran, but Saratoga was speed-favoring throughout the meet. He's 2-for-4 at the track, is a sure bet to be battling for the lead early, and he is one of the two horses that might hang on to win. The other is...

4) Bonapaw-Here is the Midwest's top sprinter. With the Breeders Cup at Arlington this year, that is an incredibly beneficial trait. While he's only gone the distance once, he's hung on at longer (Mile in 1:34, wire to wire.). This six-year-old gelding has stamina, something the other horses have yet to prove, and cannot be ignored.

5) Wild Summer-Five straight triple-digit Beyers are good, and back-to-back wins are also, BUT only one of the Beyers was in stakes company and the wins were both in allowance company. Let's face it: Bonapaw and Aldebaran are miles ahead of horses like Dayton Flyer and Hook and Ladder; class disadvantage makes me look elsewhere.

6) Aldebaran-Has had excuses for his last two (Layoff and Orientate.), but now is where we'll see the real deal or a huge letdown. He's a big-time closer, and with a lot of early speed in the race, it seems like everything's going for him; top pick.

I see it now: 6-4-3!