PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just love ebay?!

banacek
09-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I've got some good deals on ebay, but sometimes I have to laugh.

There is an auction closing in a couple hours for Dick Mitchell's "12 Steps to Handicapping Mastery". It is currently at $106.70.

Only thing is that it is $95 on the Cynthia website!

JimG
09-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I've got some good deals on ebay, but sometimes I have to laugh.

There is an auction closing in a couple hours for Dick Mitchell's "12 Steps to Handicapping Mastery". It is currently at $106.70.

Only thing is that it is $95 on the Cynthia website!

Good point Banacek. The thing is casual handicappers are much more familiar with ebay than the cynthia publishing website.

Donnie
09-18-2006, 03:19 PM
Then there's my Boot Camp tapes from Pizzolla....$3.99 on Ebay...$347 at www.posttimedaily.com!!! :eek:

xfile
09-18-2006, 05:23 PM
You have to know what to buy and sell on Ebay. My wife makes a good living buying and selling certain brands and sizes of women's clothing on e-bay. She buys this stuff brand new at 70% off retail and sells it on ebay new for a healthy profit. Sometimes she even gets above full retail price with the tags still on the item! It's just like anything else in this world = supply vs demand :cool:

xfile
09-18-2006, 05:26 PM
Another thing about Ebay = what is junk in maple city georgia might be gold in waterville kansas.....fake town names just for example....etc, etc :cool:

chickenhead
09-18-2006, 05:39 PM
I played around with selling things on Ebay and Amazon....high ROI but not able to push enough money through the windows. I dogged everything, yard sales, estate, auctions, thrifts. There are definately good deals to be found all over, I bought and sold all sorts of crazy stuff. In the final analysis it was fun, but really a lot of work to make any serious money.

Tom
09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Then there's my Boot Camp tapes from Pizzolla....$3.99 on Ebay...$347 at www.posttimedaily.com!!! :eek:

Guess again! :ThmbUp:

Topcat
09-19-2006, 01:05 AM
Many items on ebay are not a good buy in the sense of less money but they you can find just about anything there and they provide a generally reliable source.

I know of one guy who just goes to Sams Club and Costco and buys items there and resells them on ebay for a profit-I'm not sure he makes much doing this and I doubt much as he still has his day job. You would think people would just buy them from Costco online but many people are not members and do not have time to shop for the best price.

I know Dave Schwartz's wife is a power seller on Ebay so maybe he or she can tell a tale or two.

highnote
09-19-2006, 04:19 AM
Did you read the story about that guy whose goal was to barter starting with a paper clip and end up with a house.

He did it. And I believe he is writing a book about it.

The interesting thing about his bartering is that it took him about a year or maybe more. But all along the way he added value. The intrinsic value of the items that he traded may have been worth less than the items he traded for. However, it was the needs that he met that provided the premium over the intrinsic value.

The house he finally got was kind of a fixer upper in Canada. Maybe it was worth $40,000 Canadian. He could have just worked a regular job, lived at home with his parents and saved that kind of money in a year or two with a lot less hassle. But on the other hand, he has a great a experience and can write about it. That might be worth another $100,000. So not a bad idea.

I've often thought that it would be fun to start with a paper clip, go to a flea market, start bartering and see what you end up with at the end of the day.

I bet 10 times out of 10 you'd have something more valuable.

How about this: Start with a paper clip and end up with a jumbo jet!

timtam
09-19-2006, 05:16 AM
I sold some horse racing items on ebay. I must have had them for sale

on slow days because none of my items even came close to what I paid

for the stuff. I guess RPM items don't hold their value :(

NoDayJob
09-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Where ya convert your old junk to JUNQUE and cash--- Luv it!

dav4463
09-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I give up. I cannot get through to Ebay. I forgot my user ID, I gave my email. They sent a user ID that turned out to not even be mine. The email was to a different name. I tried to register again, they said you are already registered.....I requested my user name again...they sent the same ****ing one back again to the wrong person! I can't find a phone number, website, anything to straighten it out. I've been in ebay limbo for a couple of years because I can't find anyone to help me either find my old username and password or allow me to register again,

Bathless
09-21-2006, 10:44 AM
I had a leg sled weight machine (for 45 degree leg presses and hack squats) with over 600 pounds of Olympic weights. Got the whole deal from an ad in the paper for $300. Used it for 5 years, then sold it on eBay. The fools bid it up to $1400. And the guy trucked in from Philadelphia to pick it up. I felt bad until I checked and saw that the buyer had just bought 2 saxaphones on eBay for over $8,000. Main Line boy.

My best buy was a copy of Power Quest Drive Image software for $6. Sent in the rebate form to the company and got $15 back from them.

Also got a PC scanner for $1.25 (plus $5 shipping). Seller said it didn't work and listed the error code. I looked up the code, which indicated that his connection was wrong. Been using it for 5 years. When I gave him positive feedback, he wanted to know how I got it working. :lol:

I love eBay.....

bigmack
09-23-2006, 04:13 AM
I had a leg sled weight machine (for 45 degree leg presses and hack squats) with over 600 pounds of Olympic weights. Got the whole deal from an ad in the paper for $300. Used it for 5 years, then sold it on eBay. The fools bid it up to $1400. And the guy trucked in from Philadelphia to pick it up. I felt bad until I checked and saw that the buyer had just bought 2 saxaphones on eBay for over $8,000.
Hey BadHygiene -

Those saxaphones are working strong but I'm having a tough time with the sled machine - Did you cash that check?
If not, I'd like to bring the 600lbs back in your direction?

Signed,

Disgruntled (w/ sore legs) in Philie