PDA

View Full Version : handicapping preparations....how do you mark up your form?

1st time lasix
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
In a perfect world....how would a successful pro handicapper prepare to attack a racing card? Have the form/figs and your own observational notes available one day in advance? Night before look over each race using personal markings to what you think might be relevent? Visualize the possible pace scenarios? Evaluate class suitablity, form, distance, surface bias, fig patterns, works, training stats, morning lines, prognosticaters picks, etc. Do you circle contender selections....draw lines though your throw outs? Interested how you all prepare.

twindouble
09-18-2006, 02:10 PM
In a perfect world....how would a successful pro handicapper prepare to attack a racing card? Have the form/figs and your own observational notes available one day in advance? Night before look over each race using personal markings to what you think might be relevent? Visualize the possible pace scenarios? Evaluate class suitablity, form, distance, surface bias, fig patterns, works, training stats, morning lines, prognosticaters picks, etc. Do you circle contender selections....draw lines though your throw outs? Interested how you all prepare.

I've always kept my form clean, minor marks but nothing that blocks out anything in the past performances incase there's change prior to the race. A couple scratches bring you back into handicapping mode even one could cause you to look again. Like I said before, I've seen forms, that looks like modern art, different color marks and notes all over the place. In other words a freaking mess. Keep it as simple as possible.

Good luck,

T.D.

kenwoodallpromos
09-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Disappearing ink in case I lose!LOL!!

shanta
09-18-2006, 02:30 PM
1) Identify running styles of the horses - Early - Hidden Early - Early Press- Press - Sustained

2) Identify tandem races

3) Get a feel for possible pace setup noting running positions and fractions at the first call for the horses

4) pay close attention to any FIRST instinct about the race that occurs

Richie :)

1st time lasix
09-18-2006, 02:37 PM
[QUOTE=shanta]1) Identify running styles of the horses - Early - Hidden Early - Early Press- Press - Sustained

2) Identify tandem races

3) Get a feel for possible pace setup noting running positions and fractions at the first call for the horses

4) pay close attention to any FIRST instinct about the race that occurs

Richie :) Interesting thought about first impressions. On Friday night as i looked over the form I circled a horse at Hawthorne. Coming off a layoff after a couple of dull lines. Trainer was respectable and I liked the recent work showing some speed. A trait the horse used to have...but not recently. I circled the horse and was determined to play it on my instinct. Morning line was 12-1 but at post was 8-1. Had him as he crossed the line from gate to wire and singled him in the pick four. My first gut feel based on my experience identified a live long shot {I consider any horse above 7-1 a live longshot}

Robert Fischer
09-18-2006, 02:41 PM

Much of what you describe, other than prognosticaters picks. As i see things a simple mark (dash?) in the appropriate place will be enough to recall what ever it is that I saw. I often keep seperate sheets of lined paper for notes. First I leave space and go through each horse. Can be full of comments, even questions, notes to view a replay of a key race etc... or as short and simple as "NO". As I get a feel for the class of this current race and the competitive animals, I begin to break down probable scenarios. I find it helpful to write these scenarios out.

JimG
09-18-2006, 02:57 PM

I have gotten away from using a form or any past performances for that matter. I have models I have created for certain types of races with a program I use. I also use an html printout with some proprietary information noted. I tried beating the races for years using past performances, but you guys (fellow bettors) always got the best of me long term. I had to get information that the masses were not using to have a chance. When I go to the otb (which is not often, I usually play from home) I get some raised eyebrows when I have nothing but my printouts, but putting my own twist on unique information finally helped me become a winning player.

Congrats to those of you that win long term using past performances as your primary source of information. You are a better handicapper than me.

Jim

the_fat_man
09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
I ride a Bianchi Pista

cause all the (young, thin) HIPSTERS in my area do.

And, every so often, I get on the bike forums and start YET ANOTHER thread

about how cool Bianchi Pista is.

When I'm really in the mood to be HIP

I ride around in my HIP PISTA

with the Racing Form in my back pocket

What a scene, dude

320 pound fat, OLD man, huge belly, on a 17 pound track bike

WITH

a form hanging out his back pocket

as for your query:

marking up the form is like actually taking the Bianchi Pista to the track and racing it

I'm into POSING :cool:

get my drift?

groovy

keilan
09-18-2006, 04:57 PM
Fats are you calling twin an impostor, there's nothing HIP about that.

Hmmm a pair of posers?

Tom
09-18-2006, 05:04 PM
So let me get this straight.....Fat_Man marks up his form by sticking in in his BACK pocket?
Hmmm. I'll pass on that replay!:eek:

46zilzal
09-18-2006, 05:04 PM
what Form? buy one for the Derby and the Breeder's Cup

bellsbendboy
09-20-2006, 10:28 AM
Understand the conditions of the race. Eliminate (scratch off in some manner) entrants out of form that cannot effect the pace. Of the remaining, go back to the day of conception and ask yourself; "What is this horse bred to do?"

Go as far back as possible in the horses past performances, then chronologically analyze each effort leading up to the race. Draw your own layoff lines and analyze the reason for each layoff, a vital skill lacking in most players. Determine how competitive the pace will be, but do not get caught up in time. If the race shape does not favor a horse; they seldom win. Using a colored highlighter to identify like races is invaluable especially in maiden heats. For turf races, the rail needs to be established both for the race in question and previous efforts.

Determine which pool you are going to bet into. Horizontal or multi race- players require more time and in general are better cappers, but single race players face less variance and if patient, can hit a nice percentage. Use any data available, but if your betting your own money, select your own horses. Having respect for the horse and treating it as an individual is a winning formula for any level capper. BBB

The Judge
09-20-2006, 12:18 PM
My PP's are computer generated. Too much to print out.

I look at the PP's for anything that should'nt be there. Why is this horse in the race he should'nt be here. That gets my attention.

I look at alot of races. In the old days I looked like a coal miner the DRF would rub off on you.Only two tracks and it took me all night to handicapp Green for turf red for good race +'s and 0's . You name it I marked it.

NoDayJob
09-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Besides my ouija board hits 110% winners of all the races, along with my NEW SKPP [Slikker Kwicker Pony Picker] program--- :lol:

Fred
09-20-2006, 08:15 PM
I print out the ultimate pp's from Bris- By the time I am finished with my notes it looks like a 6 year old with crayons got a hold of it.

Freddy

Speed Figure
09-20-2006, 08:20 PM
what Form? buy one for the Derby and the Breeder's CupI 2nd that!

PlanB
09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Besides No Day Job's smirk:

"Besides my ouija board hits 110% winners of all the races, along with my NEW SKPP [Slikker Kwicker Pony Picker] program--- :lol:, but what do I really know?"

Indeed, Old Timer, don't you think Form is a measurable factor. After all, in a
way, but not mainly, it's reflected in adjusted pace/final #s. But NOT wholly,
or nearly so, imo. If only there was access to some physiological measure;
i think that these are the highly correlated factors to winning or losing by
less than 2 lengths. Of course, these factors are presently not available.
But someday?

xciceroguy
09-21-2006, 09:18 PM
My forms not as bad as some i have seen with all the multi colored highlighters being used but i do mark it up some. I use one yellow highlighter and a black pen.

Indulto
09-21-2006, 10:31 PM
The most time-consuming, but worthwhile marking for me is to put a squiggle under common competitors of entrants not in the race being handicapped, and to circle the names of graded stakes winners competed against. When I have sufficient time: in non-stakes races, I circle Beyers equal to or higher than the pars for the given race. In stakes races, I circle old DRF ratings higher than Beyer ratings and with speed-variant totals in triple digits.

You can imagine how nice it would be for me if the DRF would bold and italicize a little differently:

Instead of bolding the names of common entrants they could bold
a) the date and Stakes Name-Grade/Race Type-Purse,price of all races common to any two
b) the names of all graded stakes winners
c) any Beyer ratings >= the Beyer Par for the race conditions
d) any DRF rating/variant totalling 100 or more

Instead of italicizing the name of a repeat winner, they could italicize the names of any common opponent including those in the given race. If a horse's name qualified for italics it would take precedence over being bolded as a GSW.

Are you listening, Marc, old buddy? ;)

twindouble
09-22-2006, 08:22 AM
The most time-consuming, but worthwhile marking for me is to put a squiggle under common competitors of entrants not in the race being handicapped, and to circle the names of graded stakes winners competed against. When I have sufficient time: in non-stakes races, I circle Beyers equal to or higher than the pars for the given race. In stakes races, I circle old DRF ratings higher than Beyer ratings and with speed-variant totals in triple digits.

You can imagine how nice it would be for me if the DRF would bold and italicize a little differently:

Instead of bolding the names of common entrants they could bold
a) the date and Stakes Name-Grade/Race Type-Purse,price of all races common to any two
b) the names of all graded stakes winners
c) any Beyer ratings >= the Beyer Par for the race conditions
d) any DRF rating/variant totalling 100 or more

Instead of italicizing the name of a repeat winner, they could italicize the names of any common opponent including those in the given race. If a horse's name qualified for italics it would take precedence over being bolded as a GSW.

Are you listening, Marc, old buddy? ;)

I don't know Indulto, it would seem to me to be adding to much to the form, there's enough to look at now. Heck I got upset when they were doing a rundown on each horse in the race, I never read the crap and I doubt it made anyone any money over the long haul. I think the players like away's, when they get to much information they miss the obvious. I'm convinced the more time spent in the form the wrong decision is made.

T.D.

1st time lasix
09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
Love the idea of posting Beyers above par for the race in darker color or circled. In fact I would just love to see the pars!

Indulto
09-22-2006, 03:26 PM
Beyer Pars appear in Simulcast Daily

http://www.drf.com/misc/drf_simo/tour/beyer_pars2.pdf

Indulto
09-22-2006, 04:31 PM
... I'm convinced the more time spent in the form the wrong decision is made.TD,
Unfortunately, a certain amount of overhead is usually necessary for me to mark it up, race by race, in order of interest.

Having done that, If I can't rank identified contenders on the first pass, I put the race aside for one more pass later on. If I still can't do it after a 2nd look, then spending any more time fits your description, unless of course, I'm comparing notes with another player.

Another benefit of scanning names for common competitors in the same race is that -- if your memory is still good enough -- you become aware of common competitors in other races on the card. That can sometimes point out a "ClassAdvantage" that isn't obvious.

Someone here recently pointed out that handicappers are reluctant to give up on what worked for them in the past, but this process isn't really all that labor intensive for me because I enjoy the mental exercise -- especially when it pays off. ;)