PDA

View Full Version : Mailing lists

dav4463
09-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Where do guys like Dan Pope, Michael Pizzolla, Kelso Sturgeon, John Piesen, and a host of others get their mailing lists? I'm one who enjoys reading their stuff, but I never order anything. I'm just curious how all of them got my name on their list? I'm sure some people get real tired of getting their mailers while others like me get a kick out of the claims in their advertisements.

kitts
09-15-2006, 01:32 PM
"a" (one of those guys named) buys a list from "b" who buys a list from "c". etc. Horseplayers that have bought from one are a good source for others. Then the mail list software cleans the list based on various requirements. Names still there are very valuable to the purveyors of this category.

rrpic6
09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
Once I started playing in Hadicapping Contests, I started to receive mailings from Sturgeon, etc. I assume they paid for the entry info. I used to enjoy reading Kelso's articles in an old racing magazine, the name escapes me, set up like the old Sporting News. I became really turned off by him a few years ago when he started telemarketing. Instead of hanging up on the caller, I kept telling horseracing stories. The guy got so impatient trying to tout Kelso's picks, he finally blurted out "give me your credit card number now!"

Overlay
09-16-2006, 04:45 AM
I used to enjoy reading Kelso's articles in an old racing magazine, the name escapes me, set up like the old Sporting News.

I believe that's Racing Action that you're thinking of. I wonder if the subscriber lists for that and similar publications were available to be shared among system sellers.

alydar
09-16-2006, 10:43 AM
I think that they are also getting mailing lists from account wagering companies. That seems to be the trail that makes sense from my personal experience