PDA

View Full Version : Telloer machine

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Would you be more likely to use an automatic teller machine at the track or OTB if the takeout was reduced 2% (E.G., 12% instead of 14% for machine users)?

njcurveball
09-13-2006, 04:05 PM
I believe what he is asking is that if you bet with the tellers, you would have a 14% takeout and if you bet with the automated machine you would have a 12% takeout.

Although I dont see how they would adjust the pools to this.

IS THIS CORRECT KENWOOD?

Last I want to do is muddy this up more.

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 04:13 PM
I believe what he is asking is that if you bet with the tellers, you would have a 14% takeout and if you bet with the automated machine you would have a 12% takeout.

Although I dont see how they would adjust the pools to this.

IS THIS CORRECT KENWOOD?

Last I want to do is muddy this up more.
The pools would be set up the same; the only difference would be the increased money paid back through the machine. I would be very easy to track how much of the payoff was for tickets through the windows and which was through the machines.
The idea is to lower the takeout in relation to decreased labor costs, the same thing they are trying to accomplish with the lower "takeout" automatic slot machines.

ryesteve
09-13-2006, 04:17 PM
the only difference would be the increased money paid back through the machine. I would be very easy to track how much of the payoff was for tickets through the windows and which was through the machines.
"lower takeout" doesn't only apply to bets that win.

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 04:56 PM
"lower takeout" doesn't only apply to bets that win.
It is my understanding that any tickets that pay off have some sort of takeout of the pool involved. payoff would be higher on any bet that pays.
Both the automatic teller and other money would be comingled into the same pool like is done now; the general and machine takeout rate would both be calculated from the entire pool, then the general and machine payoff would each be according to their respective takeout inclusions.

Dave Schwartz
09-13-2006, 05:19 PM
lower takeout" doesn't only apply to bets that win.

My opinion would be that just the opposite is true.

Dave

BlueShoe
09-13-2006, 06:45 PM
Interesting idea,but can at once see at least three problem areas.First,it would require two tote boards,one board,for example,might show your horse at 4-1 on the teller board and 9-2 on the Sam board.Two different exotic boards also would be required showing different payoffs.Second,the unions would go nuts and heatedly protest this innovation as a job killer.Third,even those that are now too mentally challenged to use the Sams would eventually catch on and switch over.There is more than enough trouble today with nitwits at the machines lost in dreamland causing shutouts for those behind them without creating a new horde of slowpokes.Nice thought,but zero chance of it coming about.The logical change of cutting the take to 8-10% on all bets just does not seem to register to track and state management.Doubt if any of us will ever live to see such a change.

saratoga guy
09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
First,it would require two tote boards,one board,for example,might show your horse at 4-1 on the teller board and 9-2 on the Sam board.

You could have the same toteboard. Heck, NY OTB's have charged a 5% "surcharge" for years [some "teletheaters" and phone-a-bet accounts with a certain balance are exempt]. You look at the same toteboard and just realize you're going to lose that 5% off of the announced payout.

Second,the unions would go nuts and heatedly protest this innovation as a job killer.

I think the cows are already out of that barn. They already have the SAMs and an extra 2% probably won't send an inordinate number of people running away from the human tellers.

The problem with this idea as I see it: I already use the SAM machines -- and find it a bonus enough that I have control over what I am punching in and don't have to deal with a teller.

...Now if they would only offer a discount at those new-fangled self-serve supermarket check-outs I'd be interested...

twindouble
09-13-2006, 09:09 PM
I use the machines when the lines are long otherwise I like going to the tellers, ESP when they are good at what they do and are pleasent to talk to. I never hold up a line, if I don't have it together for some reason I step out and never small talk when there's someone behind me, even if it's just one person. If the discount in takeout is peanuts, I'll still go to the tellers when it's slow. I would venture to say, the greater percentage of the time at OTB when its busy I use the machines. No mistakes that way, that's why I say the teller has to be good.

T.D.

the little guy
09-13-2006, 09:53 PM
Wait a minute....there are people who actually still use tellers?

You're kidding?

Zaf
09-13-2006, 10:39 PM
Wait a minute....there are people who actually still use tellers?

You're kidding?

Only when there sexy :lol:

z

BlueShoe
09-14-2006, 12:30 AM
It was back in the early or mid 80's when Sams first showed up at SoCal racetracks.You had to very carefully fill out a bet card and drop it into the slot after putting in your voucher.No screens,icons or buttons like today.Crude compared to today,but at the time was an alternative to long teller lines.If eveyone had filled out their bet card properly the line moved right along.If someone screwed up and his card rejected and he had to fill out a whole new card or fill in a missing field,the line came to a screeching halt.Still,it was a marked improvement,and myself and most of my cronies quickly picked up on it and have used them ever since.Today,the only time I ever see a teller is at the end of the day when cashing in a voucher.Of course,there are days when the voucher total is down to zero,therefore no visit to that nice person at the window is required.

kenwoodallpromos
09-14-2006, 02:37 AM
Whether 2% reduction or 10-20 cent flat rebate per slip, the idea is to reduce labor and give a break to encourage small $$ bettors to bet more often.

1st time lasix
09-14-2006, 12:01 PM
In the Mohegan Sun race book in Ct you get a tv momitor with all the channels for the races AND a Tiny Tim machine for your wagering in each booth. Allows you to keep your race screen on in front of you while you place your bets on the other. I like having both in addition to the overhead big screens to avoid shut outs, allow last second plays and to keep track of all past wagers. At my normal simulcast venue at a dog track clubhouse in Florida....we are living in the fifties or sixties. Tellers only. Only two betting machines in the whole place at the other end of the room from my normal seating. The screens are vintage tv tubes and they don't even have enough of them for all the tracks they take action on. It is terrible! Absent owners don't care one bit for their patrons.

GaryG
09-14-2006, 12:34 PM
Only when there sexy :lol:

zHave a couple at my local OTB.....a little "titillation" never hurts.