PDA

View Full Version : Beyer discusses TVG

Valuist
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I have to say I agree with most of what he says in this column....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/12/AR2006091201456.html

cj
09-13-2006, 10:32 AM
Another fabulous article by Beyer. He is still one of the few that speaks for the hardcore horse bettor.

Doc
09-13-2006, 10:42 AM
I agree with Beyer wholeheartedly. I get TVG through DirectTV, which is hooked up to one television in my house, and I also get Philadelphia Park Live, which is through my cable company (Comcast), and is on every other TV in my house. I MUCH prefer the Philly Park show - there's just one host who tells you the information you need to know (scratches, payoffs, etc.) and they crank out race after race without any fluff or COMMERCIALS, for that matter. I keep TVG because Philly Park doesn't show NYRA racing, and also because the one valuable feature that I feel TVG does have is "The Works" show that airs the week before the Derby. I was able to sniff out Bluegrass Cat as an exotics play because TVG showed footage of how well he was training. But looking at the entire picture, TVG's daily coverage is pretty poor. Hopefully some of the big-wigs there will read Beyer's column and make some changes.

Doc :)

Cesario!
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Today was my first day of home delivery of the Post -- having moved to the DC area a little over a week ago. Always nice to see any mention of horse racing in a paper, period -- but a column by Beyer on the first day? That's just icing.
While what he says is absolutely true, I'm still thrilled and thankful that something like TVG (or HRTV, for that matter) even exist. It's great to be able to get that racing coverage on TV. I also tend to think that Pick 4's and Pick 6's make "good TV" -- it gives the shows a bit of struture that otherwise might be lacking by isolating contenders for each race. I do agree, however, that the network could benefit from a bit more coverage -- not necessarily geared exclusively for the hard core racing fan, but simply showing the levels of complexity that exist in the sport. The Pick 4's touch on that -- and using some other wagers would be useful as well.

Seth

1st time lasix
09-13-2006, 11:26 AM
All in all I think the positives on tvg far outweigh the negatives. Each of us probably has a favorite personality of the tvg programming but it is not about the characters or their personalities....it is about the racing. Too many on screen seem to work to hard featuring themselves. Difficult job to appeal to a diverse audiance but it is clear that many announcers are more worried about themselves. I don't care what suit/tie someone is wearing or if that jerk Matt Caruthers is alive in some pick he probably didn't even bet himself. Post the win and the exacta odds....give insights into the trainers, the appearances of the horses in the paddock, class levels, probable pace and give educated opinions from time to time. Point out occurances in the race that may have helped or hindered a contender on the replays. Show more graphics and less talking heads.

roihandicapping
09-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I have to say I agree with this article 100%. I have DirecTV and it's mostly because of TVG but not for the commentators or their lousy picks, but simply because I get the see the races. I could careless about their pick 4s and pick 6s selections. Todd Schrupp is a comedian not a handicapper, the only show I care for is “Lady Talk” and that’s because of the Hot LADIES….

bigmack
09-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Personally I have no idea how any player with a modicum of ability could possibly watch that drivel with the audio on. The last thing I need is to hear 3 takes on a race besides the one I already have swimming around in me own brain. TVG is MUTEalicious

Wickel
09-13-2006, 02:14 PM
Great article. He hit the nail on the head on the backtrack clips. They tell you absolutely nothing. I'd much rather see the trouble a horse encountered earlier in the race, or a clip of the start of the race, for that matter. I, too, agree with everything Beyer point out except one thing--Matt Carothers. In my eyes, he's still the king of drivel.

DrugSalvastore
09-13-2006, 02:55 PM
I've been pouting about many of the complaints Beyer has with TVG for a while here.

They don't have a single analyst employed who I believe even has the necessary skills needed to beat the races for any extended period of time.

You look at HRTV, and that is certainly not true. That station has fantastic analysts like Jeff Siegel, Kurt Hoover, and Jon White. I really enjoyed watcing it over the winter.

The on-air commentators at TVG, have this idea that reciting the form and mentioning angles is what the viewer wants. And, when they aren't doing that, or they aren't discussing their poorly executed pick four tickets, they are engaging in nonsensical banter or they are flaunting their poor comedian skills.

It really is awful.

The "original programming" shows they have are just plain bad as well. Except for maybe a show like 'The Finish Line'.

It should come as no surprise that the producer of TVG thinks that jockies are the "stars of this sport." I mean, Who doesn't love wildly undersized men, wearing colorful silk jerseys, and carrying whips around with them?

The true stars of this sport are the race horses themselves.

When live racing isn't being shown, and there is no commentary going on, they should have one of the following four programming options...and NOTHING else.

* A piece about handicapping or betting strategy that viewers would find informative.

* A piece about a champion or famous race horse that most viewers would find fascinating, or, at least interesting. Or you could show famous old stake races in there entirety. For example, on the same day as the Test Stakes, show a replay of a few of the best Test Stakes in history. If it's the day of the Hollywood Gold Cup show a replay of a famous running of that race.

* A piece previewing big upcoming Stake races.

* Race replays from the previous day.

That's my opinion anyway.

Show Me the Wire
09-13-2006, 03:23 PM
FWIW, after reading the article I agree to some extent. Any T.V. exposure is good for the business. Racing missed the T.V. revolution and now is paying for it.

I do not think Gary Stevens adds any thing to the telecasts. And yes most of the on air personalities do not have the credentials. It is like racing business in general, all about nepotism.

Focusing on the jockeys is wasteful and plain silly. Jockeys do not condition the horse, pay the bills or generally, even select the horse they ride. All a jockey really does is lose the race, with a bad ride.

HRTV does a muc better job as they focus more on the horse and the connections, including the owner. Owners bring a unique idea to the area, a big kudos to HRTV for recognizing the importance of owners.

A suggestion to TVG, instead of always letting the talking heads justify their infrequent winning selections, when on location actually have a winning 'capper explain why he selected the winner. Would be more educational and entertaining. Okay that might be hard to actually find a winner at the track :lol:

1st time lasix
09-13-2006, 03:26 PM
Great article. He hit the nail on the head on the backtrack clips. They tell you absolutely nothing. I'd much rather see the trouble a horse encountered earlier in the race, or a clip of the start of the race, for that matter. I, too, agree with everything Beyer point out except one thing--Matt Carothers. In my eyes, he's still the king of drivel. Matt Carothers is not only obnoxous, loud and overpowering..... but his love for himself only is exceeded by his love to hear himself. The kind of guy in your high school or college fraternity that everyone wishes would to get punched in the nose! Willing to bet that he is so self-consumed that he has never has had a serious family relationship where he puts someone else's needs above his own.

DrugSalvastore
09-13-2006, 03:45 PM
He always was a little annoying to start with.

Now, he's trying to be to TVG what Jim Cramer is to Mad Money on CNBC.

I find Todd Schrupp to be far worse than MC. And unlike MC, who does study previous result charts and occasionally does a little bit of work....Todd is as bad as it gets from a handicapping standpoint. It's obvious that he does no work at all.

Valuist
09-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I think we could randomly take 5-10 people from this site and put out a far better product than what TVG puts on the air.

I did hear Carothers mention before that he goes thru past charts. But he's the only one there who puts in any extra effort.

46zilzal
09-13-2006, 04:01 PM
I recently made a tape of a day of TVG while in S. Calif and sent it to Woodbine (where a friend is a broadcaster) showing him what NOT TO DO.

Their broadcasts just informs an already informed audience without all the baloney.

Light
09-13-2006, 04:19 PM
TVG's Pk4's would be a looked foward to event if they had any degree of success in them. They admit they suck in them but keep dishing them out

They really could use guest handicappers...like maybe Andy Beyer himself or other authors or players who have something to offer in an interview.

46zilzal
09-13-2006, 04:22 PM
the guy on 58 flat is it? is a real clown

classhandicapper
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I have never even seen TVG. I have time Warner Cable. It's not available. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to switch to Direct TV just to get TVG when I get cable TV, Roadrunner internet access, and will soon get voice from TW in a decent bundled package with only one bill and one company to deal with.

Is there any way to get TVG via internet feed?

What the heck is HRTV?

ryesteve
09-13-2006, 04:44 PM

Given that it apparently sucks (I've never seen it either) wouldn't a subscription to something like YouBet for the track feeds be a better option?

Valuist
09-13-2006, 04:58 PM
I have never even seen TVG. I have time Warner Cable. It's not available. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me to switch to Direct TV just to get TVG when I get cable TV, Roadrunner internet access, and will soon get voice from TW in a decent bundled package with only one bill and one company to deal with.

What the heck is HRTV?

HRTV is Horse Racing TV. Its Magna's channel that carries their tracks and a few tracks that TVG doesn't carry.

Tom
09-13-2006, 05:59 PM
If you wanted to create a bad network, TVG would be hard to top. It sucs. The few races they show every hour almost make it not worth paying for.
Why do they need to layer on the idioits? Not a one of them offers anything.
Watching races on TVG is like getting hookers from your grandmother being a pimp!
Fire them all and play muzak, show the races, and never utter a word.

Cesario!
09-13-2006, 06:06 PM
the guy on 58 flat is it? is a real clown

I like Matt Carruthers. He's got the right attitude for his job and it shows.

csperberg
09-13-2006, 06:50 PM
Here is what both TVG and HRTV need to really do. Get off the analog broadcast signals and switch to a HD broadcast signal. There they can then break down the HD signal into 4 seperate channels under one signal.

Then they need to take one channel and dedicate it to being the horse racing news and events channel. This channel would have all the talk and gossip of the industry, race highlights, pay offs, handicapping shows etc.

The remaining three channels would then carry only live races. Now if both TVG and HRTV did such a thing you would now have 6 channels of live racing, and two channels with strictly industry related shows etc. With 6 channels of racing they could definently avoid alot of the tape delay races and permit more tracks to offer full cards to watch on TV. The two channels work it out kind of like the NFL does with basically two channels trying to broadcast the same sport. Split it up evenly or as even as possible, that both would carry X amount of major tracks and X amount of minor tracks. Maybe one take east coast and the other take west coast and the midwest be the seperator between them. Those details I am sure could be worked out with the tracks, maybe even split it up one channel carry them for one year then the other the next. I know Magna is HRTV but they could loosen their grip on their product, and the same for TVG with their exclusive tracks. Maybe Magna should dump the TV station let someone else take control over it. They would stretch their audience by allowing TVG to broadcast their tracks.

I know that there would be a ton of legality issues with the broadcast signals and what station gets to show what. I think though if they could get their heads out of their... they could work it out for the better of the industry as a whole for which they are both part of.

Another thing then they could do when there is no racing on late at night or early in the morning is to broadcast movies having anything to do with horse racing. I know there is enough movies out there to show a movie a night and not show the same movie over again for awhile. It would be an added touch and a change of pace after a night of racing, or early in the morning befor the races are set to begin for the day. The three racing channels that each station would have could be dedicated to run infomercials after the races, and those stations could also be used to show the replays of the previous days races as well.

Then with the station now being broadcast under a HD signal they could actually invest in some HD cameras, and when they are live at a track show those races actually in HD. That would make watching racing from home be almost like being there or a lot closer to the real thing.

I think the shows that TVg does have now are good in concept but bad in implementation. What I mean is those shows should not be run during the live races, that takes away from what horse players are trying to accomplish watching and wagering. I would rather have a show take its time and not have to be rushed or have to keep getting interupted because they have to break to a race or the show delays the ability to watch the race live. I think their intentions are good and they mean well hoping that the shows will bring new people not familar with horse racing in general. To the experience player they seem worthless, but we have to remember that not everybody has experience and need that basic information to have a starting point to learn from. I mean its like listening to any other sports talk shows most of the analyst are bogus and dont know this from that. How often do you find any show to be that intriguing where you go wow I didnt know that already. If you were a follower of any sport you probably are getting your information just as fast and just as accurate as the stations do. The internet closed that gap that the media had control of for so long.

I personally would like to see more indepth shows with experienced handicappin professionals and industry experts. I think it would be cool if the stations that broadcast from the track would include morning workouts for the viewers to watch, not just during derby week. I dont live anywhere near a track to go watch workouts so the only time I ever actually see a horses workout is when they do special workout reports. Just an added idea to help improve the game from the home players standpoint.

I awhile back I wrote basically the same suggestions to both TVG and HRTV. I told them about the HD channel split idea and also did suggest they should broaden their content and offer more horse racing related shows. Now I dont want to say my idea was actually used and TVG then made these shows. I dont know if my ideas and suggestions ever made to anyone who cares at the station, but I did send an email detailing the ideas. I actually wouldnt want to be the one known to get the idea for the shows they do have currently because they are not quite what I had in mind..lol. Now HRTV did respond to my email unlike TVG. This is the response I got from HRTV.
Dear Calvin - thank for taking the time to send us your thoughts. We appreciate it! I have forwarded your email on to our Exec Producer as well. Your thoughts on advertising are great. We are working hard to sell more all the time. It's only been 1 year since we starting selling ads, so it takes time to reach the ad buyers radar.
Your thoughts on HD and more handicapping shows etc are also sound. It only takes money and this is where we are headed in the future!
Thanks for your thoughts and thank you for watching HRTV!
All the best to you.
Sincerely,
Jessica Buckley
HRTV

I did also send both of them advertising suggestions as well. I let that in since it does tie into the subject. I said they should buy up commercial spots and have a daily changing commercial run. Run some type of updated commercials that could showcase their exclusive tracks carryovers. Run commercials with great payouts so people know the type of money that can be won at this game. Something like late pick 4 at X track paid out $X amount on X day, why weren’t you wagering, that is just a broad example but I think you get my drift. Showcase the winnings that do take place and I think that would draw alot more people to the game, look thats really what took place in poker. They dont tell you that you will lose more often than win in poker overall, they make it seem like anybody can go out and win these enormous tourneys with little skill. Poker is just like horse racing, there are those who do make money and make a living, but there are plenty more that are just losers. Personaly from my experience at pretty much almost all forms of gambling horse racing proves to be the easiest and most consistent form of predicting winning wagering investments. Horse racing unlike poker cant be affected by some idiot sticking around in a hand they know they shouldnt have been and you lose out because of it. Only you as the handicapper make the mistakes that cause you to lose and the unpredictability of what the future holds like a horse not firing when you thought they should have etc.

I dont know I cant see how my idea of splitting up a HD signal to offer up more channels to host races on can be a bad idea. Eventually they will both have to move to broadcast in HD or pure digital so why not take off with the idea now since eventually you will be forced into it by federal regulations of broadcasting. I mean if PBS can pull off splitting their HD signal I am quite sure TVG and HRTV can as well, PBS runs off basically donations anyway.

Sorry bout the lengthy post on the subject, but hard to get the whole point across otherwise. Call me nuts if you wish but I do feel they are sound ideas and it helps move horse racing more out of the dark ages. Shame when technology is available and no wants to use it.

lol next rant I probably will have is the lack of a good PC horse racing game, and how I should just organize a group together and just get the job done ourselves. that how ever is for another time and place, got to get some more research into it. Anyone into programming for games we should talk about getting such a project done, have a big company set to look at if a working prototype can be produced. I know nothing about programming myself yet so would definently need help there, but this is not the post to discuss that here.

Wickel
09-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Very informative and thorough post, CS. Both networks would be foolhardy not to incorporate some of your ideas. Offering a venue to expert handicappers is a great idea. Get some of these guys on there to break down the stakes races, and even some of the minor ones. Some of these guys could actually demonstrate how they pick apart a race "live" and in person. Plus, it's good pub for them.

BlueShoe
09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Not sure about this,but am assuming that by contractural agreements,certain tracks get priority?My largest gripe about TVG is their not showing live races,sometimes delaying them for up to an hour,usually less.Common to see the results of tape delayed races first on the rolling screen at the bottom of the page before the tape delayed race is aired.Quite common is the infuriating practice of listening to Host A showing us his @#%^ Pick 3,4,or 6 ticket while the race you are interested in is going off.Have about as much interest in a TVG hosts selections as I do in their in laws favorite color.Another thing is showing the post parade and endlessly yaping about each runner when your track is running.Now we all are aware that two or even three tracks may go off right at the same time,we understand that,but that is not what gripes me.Suggestion to TVG--Live racing at all tracks have priority,when a race goes off,such the bleep up and give us the race,not a commercial or meaningless chatter.

garyoz
09-13-2006, 08:36 PM
TVG has two sources of revenue: (1)money bet through the TVG site and I think they get some percentage of the money bet through AmericaTab and YouBet on TVG exclusive tracks (not 100% sure of that second part) and (2)money from commercials (cashcall, etc.) and those infomercials during non-prime time. I doubt that they are showing a profit, but they may be cash flow positive (EBITDA). If someone has the time and energy you can get the Gemstar 10-K and look in the footnotes under lines of business and see if they do a breakout (probably not). I've posted before that Gemstar is majority controlled by News Corp.--which is Rupert Murdoch--which also owns Fox including all the Fox Sports Channels. I don't even know if TVG would be around if it didn't have deep pockets behind it.

Notice the production quality difference between TVG and HRTV and you can see that TVG has more resources (though as I horse player I usually prefer HRTV to TVG--even with its inferior production quality).

The content of TVG is designed to drive interest and ultimately betting action to the web site or phone service. That's why they are always touting pick-4's and pick 6's. In the very early days a TVG analyst would say that a race should be passed, but you'll never hear that nowadays. The first several months on the air they were pushing an edginess--with Shrupp and Claudie (my name is Cloud--ee--ah) leading the charge. I think trying to attract a new fan base.

The guys running TVG are not dopes. They are trying to drive their top line (revenues). Personally I hope that they are successful and do whatever it takes within reason. While I can live with streaming, I prefer watching the races on Satelllite--obviously for the quality. Plus it would be great if they could bring more of the casual fan money back into the pools. Or, better yet if the viewers would bet more on Mr. B's chalky picks.

JustRalph
09-13-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree with beyer. Great article. One thing TVG needs to learn to do...........

Split Screen!

Shut the hell up and run the priority track with sound, and run the non priority track in a split screen without sound........and then replay the secondary track. But keep both races live.........how friggin hard would that be?

Beyer is also right about them not having up to date info. I was watching a track close one day. It was a little wet and I was waiting on the feature race on the grass. they ran backtracks and such for ten minutes prior to the race. They took opines from 4 different TVG types on who was going to win. They told us about important scratches etc. They cut to race ( I put my bet in) and damned if the horses aren't loading in the gate on the "Dirt Track" Apparently nobody at TVG was aware the race was off the turf and nobody mentioned it. they showed the race, while I was bitching and screaming and then never said a word about the race. showed the results and never said a word either. last time I ever relied on them for info. Oh yeah, my turf star ran up the track on the dirt...........

pjbc77
09-13-2006, 10:02 PM
I agree with Beyer, and a lot of the other posters, on the areas where TVG needs improvement, but having spent time in NY where the cable system only has the OTB channel, I am grateful that TVG provides some commentary and production values. They also show the race replay shows each morning, which is nice, and I appreciate that TVG is at least trying to grow the fan base.

the_fat_man
09-13-2006, 10:42 PM
Another thing then they could do when there is no racing on late at night or early in the morning is to broadcast movies having anything to do with horse racing. I know there is enough movies out there to show a movie a night and not show the same movie over again for awhile. It would be an added touch and a change of pace after a night of racing, or early in the morning befor the races are set to begin for the day. The three racing channels that each station would have could be dedicated to run infomercials after the races, and those stations could also be used to show the replays of the previous days races as well.

Know what works for me, ACE?

How about during OFF hours, we get FULL replays of races ---including the headons.

Why is that so difficult? Not like anything else is happening during down time.

Valuist
09-13-2006, 11:37 PM
Know what works for me, ACE?

How about during OFF hours, we get FULL replays of races ---including the headons.

Why is that so difficult? Not like anything else is happening during down time.

They had one of their upper management people on there and he was going on about how they were going to announce all these great changes that the horseplayers would all love. You guessed it; those "wonderful changes" included bumping off some of the replays and moving others to real early times, like on Sunday mornings while they added these "wonderful" new shows. :bang:

Some great suggestions on here; which the next questions is, if the posters on here can come up with such good ideas, why can't TVG? Does it ever occur to them that the overwhelming majority do not want to listen to endless blabbering? Do they really need to do remotes? Like Tom and Ralph said, just play Muzak and show races and odds and results.

dylbert
09-14-2006, 12:14 AM
TVG & HRTV compete for your entertainment dollar. Neither of these services is about being your personal monitor to your favorite betting venue.

I view TVG when visiting out-of-town relatives (it is on their extended cable service). I use it as sounding board -- similar to discussing race with handicapping buddies at live track or OTB parlor. Hosts talk -- I disagree -- but in this case, they can't talk back! If these talking head do have any real influence, I especially love when they talk up dead on the board, favorite type that I am betting AGAINST... you gotta love that situation when their touted nag runs up the track.

Yeah, I could care less about some of the lesser tracks that TVG covers. But, this holds true at OTB sites as well. Just ignore places that you don't wish to play.

I have not viewed HRTV. But, if it is as terrible as Magna simulcast work, it would not impress me. MEC tracks take forever to get prices displayed and often have 5-10 minute delay before odds and possible exotic payoffs are shown for next race. Chaps my ... err, I mean, wallet, most times.

In closing, both of these services serve to broaden interest in horse racing and handicapping. To succeed, they will adapt, or ultimately perish.

As Mark Twain stated, "It is not best that we should all think alike; it is a difference of opinion that makes horse races." TVG & HRTV merely reinforce and perpetuate his famous quote.

NY BRED
09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
fat man

you have an easy fix to obtain your wish list

open up a winticket.com account

I was recently touted to this site which offers live racing,
instant replays(including head ons ) at all major U.S. and
various international tracks.

you must open the account with a deposit(i believe a minimum of 100.00) , and
bet(via computer or live attendant) at least 50.00 a month to continue
the option of the replay option.

most importantly, when looking at today's entries you actually can
get the video replays for almost all running lines !

in fact, i believe for those members knowledgeable with computer/tv
networks you could link your computer to your television and not
deal with the TVG/HRTV shows.

While Beyer's criticism of TVG has some merit, the existence of the show
is better than no show.Were the DRF or Beyer so concerned
about providing information to the racing fans or novices, they could
appear on a daily/weekly basis on either show and provide an information
segment in lieu of Jeff Siegel explaining their product on HRTV.

As important, the could /should consider reducing the cost of their
paper which undoubtedly stops many racing fans from learning
how to handicap by example .

Finally, the implication I sense from Beyer's article is The DRF (or he)
could provide a better analysis of racing to the public.

The Blinkers off segment, which generally has Mike Watchmaker
competing with Matt Caruthers picking winners in Weekend stakes races
clearly has both sides almost equal(a virtual zeo) week after week.

BIG49010
09-14-2006, 09:26 AM
How about pay per view for each race track, I prefer the racetrack feed and would pay to get it for Chuchill, and Keeneland, like I do for Belmont and Gulfstream. Call me old fashion, but I like my racing on a TV, not a computer in delay.

The rumor is Churchill will start it's own network, similar to HPI TV in Canada, with a limited amount of talk, and mostly racing from the CD tracks, I hope rumor is true. I can't stand TVG, I put up with it for Keeneland, but would prefer just the track feed like you get at the OTB.

cj
09-14-2006, 09:30 AM
How about pay per view for each race track, I prefer the racetrack feed and would pay to get it for Chuchill, and Keeneland, like I do for Belmont and Gulfstream. Call me old fashion, but I like my racing on a TV, not a computer in delay.

No way in hell am I paying one cent to watch horse racing. I pay 20 cents with every dollar I wager.

Valuist
09-14-2006, 10:11 AM

The rumor is Churchill will start it's own network, similar to HPI TV in Canada, with a limited amount of talk, and mostly racing from the CD tracks, I hope rumor is true. I can't stand TVG, I put up with it for Keeneland, but would prefer just the track feed like you get at the OTB.

Keeneland has free video on their site. Both live racing and replays.

Wiley
09-14-2006, 10:41 AM
While Beyer's criticism of TVG has some merit, the existence of the show
is better than no show.Were the DRF or Beyer so concerned
about providing information to the racing fans or novices, they could
appear on a daily/weekly basis on either show and provide an information
segment in lieu of Jeff Siegel explaining their product on HRTV.

Or how about the DRF start their own channel with Beyer and Crist at the helm? I am sure the cost is huge/risks great and now with two competing channels it would be more difficult to break into the market but it would have been a great tie into their product? I don't get TVG or HRTV so I don't know what kind of exposure the DRF gets on these channels already.

Another question a bit off topic, but why hasn't the DRF entered into the online betting services as well like Bris/TSN? another direct tie in with their product.

1st time lasix
09-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Hopefully the tvg offering will improve over time. I like some of it now...but it has a lot of potential. I can remember when ESPN and The Golf Channel started....both are much better now after they have evolved. As an East Coast player...I never watched much California racing. TVG covers the West Coast far better than any Eastern venue. I find myself buying some tickets now for some races out there and then going home in the early evening at dinner time to watch the races on their network. Great item yesterday. I flipped it on just as Matt Carothers was preaching that he liked all the horses from the five post outward in the first leg of the Turfway pick four. He went about five deep. You guessed it....came in 1 horse and then the 2 horse. He is so in love with himself...he didn't even eat any humble pie for directing the audience off the top two finishers. :lol:

BIG49010
09-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I hate to tell you CJ, but your results would improve with full track feed, it is worth the money to a serious player. I can't tell you how many times I see favorites flipping out in the paddock and not running their race. I hope everyone shares your opinion, it makes it easier for me.

TurfRuler
09-14-2006, 11:26 AM
In a Public Relations class I took back in 1987 my report was on how racetracks could increase fan interest by giving fans more information about how to handicap. I wanted to send that report to all the tracks in the U.S. Who knew about the internet, inter-state wagering, intra-state wagering, TVG or HRTV. But I must say if I had the information that csperberg and DrugSalvastore just gave out to include in my report, my instructor would not have minimalized it as being as insignificant to Public Relations as a student trying to get a good grade.

cj
09-14-2006, 02:58 PM
I hate to tell you CJ, but your results would improve with full track feed, it is worth the money to a serious player. I can't tell you how many times I see favorites flipping out in the paddock and not running their race. I hope everyone shares your opinion, it makes it easier for me.

I actually do have the full track feed from AmericaTab. I'm just not paying for it.

NY BRED
09-14-2006, 06:16 PM
hi wiley:

not a bad idea to have the drf have their own channel.

in the ideal world,one might also have a wish list where a roundtable of the
"icons" of handicapping woulsd appear such as:

ragozin/brown

brohamer and/or one of the top Sartin members

a member of tvg and hrtv

a world class jockey and trainer from a major track

each commentator would review several graded races and rate the top two contenders and an r.o.i. standing would be exhibited.

regardless of who ended up as #1, racing fans(new and old) would
benefit as a result of watching the the scruitiny and analysis that
makes this game so intriguing..

samyn on the green
09-14-2006, 06:26 PM
The one thing I do love about TVG is the live tote on the Sat box. For me a computer is a tremendous distraction and time waster when handicaping. I like having a big live tote up on the screen when contructing wagers. This allows me to watch a live tote without having to go on-line.

bigmack
09-14-2006, 06:39 PM
a computer is a tremendous distraction and time waster when handicaping
I guess it depends on how you handicap. Different strokes I spose but when chums come over and have forms all over the floor and I'm sitting at the compute, their shuffling of papers is ironically distracting to my computer vibe.
As so it goes...