PDA

View Full Version : floppy disk issue

kitts
09-12-2006, 06:04 PM
Now and then I use a floppy. Usually to copy a pdf and take it to Kinko's to print me up a hard copy. I think my floppy is dead. I can insert blank formatted disk, blank non-formatted disk, or disks that I used on this computer about two months back. On every disk I get a message "didk not formatted" and then it gives formatting options which it says it cannot do. The computer will not recognize any floppy . I think that my floppy is telling me the same thing the 4 horse said in race 3, "I'm tired and I wanna go to bed." Any ideas?

bigmack
09-12-2006, 06:51 PM
Any ideas?
Blow-up your floppys and get a flash card.
They're laughably inexpensvie and will store more data than a boatload of flops

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/11th_Dimension/floppyaccident.gif

the_fat_man
09-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Shut down your PC

Disconnect the floppy cables

Reconnect the floppy cables

Start Up your PC

See if PC recognizes 'new' hardware

JustRalph
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Shut down your PC

Disconnect the floppy cables

Reconnect the floppy cables

Start Up your PC

See if PC recognizes 'new' hardware

most motherboards from the last two or three years or so won't work that way. floppy disks are controlled at the bios level.......

Get the flash card reader.......great choice.............a thumb drive will work just about anywhere..........

Tom
09-12-2006, 07:33 PM
I agree...:ThmbUp::ThmbUp::ThmbUp: on thumb drives.

BillW
09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
If you opt to get a thumb drive, make sure your computer has a USB interface first.

If the floppy era overlapped the USB era, it wasn't by much.

michiken
09-12-2006, 09:44 PM
1. Did you install a new AV or AV Update? Sometimes when you run Norton or Symantec:

- Floppy drive access may be disabled by these programs in order to prevent the spread of viruses.

- Try a Google search 'Antivirus disabled floppy drive' to see if you can find a clue how to fix this.

2. Also try right clicking on My Computer and Choose Properties. Look in the devices and delete Floppy Disk.

Switch over to the Configuration or Troubleshooting Tab. Make Sure that 'search for a new floppy drive is checked'.

3. Restart the PC and see if Windoz finds the floppy on re-boot.

kitts
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I did upgrade Norton in July so I did the uncheck the floppy thing. I went to device manager and removed the floppy. Could not find "search for new floppy" option but did "enable" the floppy that is now "working properly." I did not try the disconnect/reconnect cables since I am so inept mechanically (friends buy me furniture just to watch me try to assemble.)

Floppy still not working but I use it rarely and my external CD works fine.

At least we tried.

Dave Schwartz
09-14-2006, 04:16 PM
Kitts,

If the floppy is really dead (and you really miss it), $12-15 will buy you a new one in a computer store. And putting it in is a snap.

Thumb drive is much better, though.

Dave

46zilzal
09-15-2006, 02:04 PM
buy a THESAURUS. not everything is a goddamned ISSUE.

There are problems, difficulties, etc.......

Ponyplayr
09-15-2006, 02:29 PM

Is your Girdle putting your gonads in a bind? Get a dictionary!

46zilzal
09-15-2006, 03:04 PM
OVERUSED WORD

noun

1. The act or process of publishing printed matter: printing, publication, publishing. See words.
2. Something brought about by a cause: aftermath, consequence, corollary, effect, end product, event, fruit, harvest, outcome, precipitate, ramification, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, sequent, upshot. See cause/effect.
3. A group consisting of those descended directly from the same parents or ancestors: brood, get, offspring, posterity, progeny, seed. See kin.
4. A situation that presents difficulty, uncertainty, or perplexity: hornets' nest, problem, question. Informal can of worms. See easy/hard.

verb

1. To pass or pour out: discharge, empty, flow. See enter/exit.
2. To discharge material, as vapor or fumes, usually suddenly and violently: emit, give, give forth, give off, give out, let off, let out, release, send forth, throw off, vent. See free/unfree, move/halt.
3. To come into view: appear, emerge, loom, materialize, show. Idioms: makeput inan appearance, meet the eye. See see/not see.
4. To have hereditary derivation: derive, descend, spring. Idioms: trace one's descent. See kin.
5. To present for circulation, exhibit, or sale: bring out, publish, put out. See words.
6. To have as a source: arise, come, derive, emanate, flow, originate, proceed, rise, spring, stem, upspring. See start/end.

traveler
09-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Hey 46,

I am sure some aren't seeing the humor in your post but I am. I have a drooling moron for a boss(not saying anyone here is or the question about the dead floppy) and everything he says starts with - "what the real isssue is". Someday I'm gonna snap. How about every salesman and sports commentator saying "absolutely" every 2 seconds. Oh well, it's Friday and I'm here until 8 tonight. Time to waste some more company time and work on my excell spreadsheet of horse results and my stock portfolio. ;)

46zilzal
09-15-2006, 04:31 PM
honorable mentions: "like" "you know" "you know what I mean?" or "that point in time" when THEN would suffice?

headhawg
09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
OVERUSED WORD

noun

1. The act or process of publishing printed matter: printing, publication, publishing. See words.
2. Something brought about by a cause: aftermath, consequence, corollary, effect, end product, event, fruit, harvest, outcome, precipitate, ramification, result, resultant, sequel, sequence, sequent, upshot. See cause/effect.
3. A group consisting of those descended directly from the same parents or ancestors: brood, get, offspring, posterity, progeny, seed. See kin.
4. A situation that presents difficulty, uncertainty, or perplexity: hornets' nest, problem, question. Informal can of worms. See easy/hard.

verb

1. To pass or pour out: discharge, empty, flow. See enter/exit.
2. To discharge material, as vapor or fumes, usually suddenly and violently: emit, give, give forth, give off, give out, let off, let out, release, send forth, throw off, vent. See free/unfree, move/halt.
3. To come into view: appear, emerge, loom, materialize, show. Idioms: makeput inan appearance, meet the eye. See see/not see.
4. To have hereditary derivation: derive, descend, spring. Idioms: trace one's descent. See kin.
5. To present for circulation, exhibit, or sale: bring out, publish, put out. See words.
6. To have as a source: arise, come, derive, emanate, flow, originate, proceed, rise, spring, stem, upspring. See start/end.
Overused Words

Your posts.

PaceAdvantage
09-16-2006, 12:50 AM

Don't hijack threads with nonsense posts such as this one. If you'd like to hold an English class, that can be arranged.