PDA

View Full Version : NYRA Website Gutted

samyn on the green
09-12-2006, 05:20 PM
The best North American racetrack website has been gutted.

The old NYRA site was a great resource, the best website a track could ever have and now it is gone.

Now there is no more database of charts going back one year. The great video database of old stakes races going back to before I was born is also a memory. This new website is as skimpy as Keenelands and Churchills. It is as useless as a Magna website. Big dissappointment here.

How many of you knew that you could go back and review charts from the Aqueduct winter meet, look at old entries, view videos of old stakes race and view replays from the AQ meet? Didn't know if a horse wore calks last out? It was on the NYRA website going back one year, no other track databased this info and made it available on the website. Could you do this as other tracks websites? No. There is not another North American track that could approach the comprehensive content of the NYRA website.

Now the NYRA site is as useless as Gulfsteams. People get what they ask for. Now we have a steamlined, corporate, skimpy, useless NYRA website. This is the beginning of the end of the good old days.

the_fat_man
09-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Talk about crappy timing: I was going to catch up on my charts at the end of the week (when I finally finish this report).

Well, sucks being me.:bang:

Suff
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
They postponed a highly popular contest to debut that?

Its the identical wire frame. They simply switched embedded hyperlinks to tabs, and switched banner links to text links.

not exactly where I thought they were headed.

Taking down the stakes replays? why?

oh well....I suppose I'll wait and see if they plan on improving in the weeks ahead or this is what they are sticking with.

In the scheme of things, with all the new technology that adds to an internet users overall experience.... I wonder if in the planning stages someone raised thier hand and said.... "Ummmm , why are we offering less, when more is the trend?"

Horsemens area seems intact, if not expanded:rolleyes:

bigmack
09-12-2006, 07:12 PM
Darn shame - it was the last vestige online to see those old stakes races

the_fat_man
09-12-2006, 08:24 PM
I think the inability is this present age of technology to get FULL REPLAYS (with headons) of any race at any track in the country is just flat out ridiculous.

Racereplays is a joke: the feed sucks and they don't have headons (to my knowledge).

Why wouldn't a given track offer this service on it's website?

So NYRA, rather than following CalRacing, decides to follow Gulfstream (and the rest)

Way to go

Tom
09-12-2006, 09:09 PM
My crystal ball says, coming soon.....Pay for Features!

point given
09-12-2006, 09:13 PM
http://199.115.25.157/images/dot_clear.gifhttp://199.115.25.157/images/dot_clear.gif The New York Racing Association Inc. (“NYRA”) is soliciting bidders to host and maintain the NYRA Website that supports Aqueduct Racetrack, Ozone Park, NY, Belmont Park Racetrack, Elmont, NY and Saratoga Race Course, Saratoga Springs, NY. M/W/DBE participation is encouraged. Interested parties may fax their request for a bid package to the Purchasing Dept. (718) 848-3537.

point given
09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
I think the inability is this present age of technology to get FULL REPLAYS (with headons) of any race at any track in the country is just flat out ridiculous.

Racereplays is a joke: the feed sucks and they don't have headons (to my knowledge).

Why wouldn't a given track offer this service on it's website?

So NYRA, rather than following CalRacing, decides to follow Gulfstream (and the rest)

Way to go

Try opening an account with Brisbet, you get all you want !

Tom
09-12-2006, 09:28 PM
http://199.115.25.157/images/dot_clear.gifhttp://199.115.25.157/images/dot_clear.gif The New York Racing Association Inc. (“NYRA”) is soliciting bidders to host and maintain the NYRA Website that supports Aqueduct Racetrack, Ozone Park, NY, Belmont Park Racetrack, Elmont, NY and Saratoga Race Course, Saratoga Springs, NY. M/W/DBE participation is encouraged. Interested parties may fax their request for a bid package to the Purchasing Dept. (718) 848-3537.

This sounds like a natural for........PaceAdvantage!

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2006, 01:23 AM
I would have to think that IF they have eliminated their database of charts (and as of now, it appears they have), then this most likely is in reponse to pressure from Equibase.....only thing that makes sense....

highnote
09-13-2006, 01:46 AM
I would have to think that IF they have eliminated their database of charts (and as of now, it appears they have), then this most likely is in reponse to pressure from Equibase.....only thing that makes sense....

That's what happens in a monopoly.

Suff
09-13-2006, 11:38 AM
I spoke to someone at NYRA this morning. They are going to come into to this thread to view the feedback presented so far.

If you have any thoughts on the new NYRA website. Please take a few minutes to type them here. Be nice please. The person works for Bill Nader. They're open to criticism and comments, however your feedback should be in the constructive tone.

www.nyra.com (http://www.nyra.com)

Suff
09-13-2006, 11:42 AM
as they come to me.

I see they have eliminated the task of producing thier own changes and scratch's pages. Very disappointed in that. NYRA consistently had changes up on thier web site ASAP.

Now it links to equibases scratch/change operation and as of 11:28. Not available yet. Typically its been 11:00 am on the nose...or 11:15 at the latest.

highnote
09-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Why do racetracks even bother having websites? Just have Equibase run them for all the tracks. That's the way things seem to be going, so why delay the inevitable?

The race tracks are becoming more generic and homogenous everyday. Soon they'll all have polytrack. There is only one source for charts. etc. etc. etc.

NYRA is now having racingchannel handle the tote.

And they're even having Equibase handle the condition book.

It looks like they are subbing out as much as possible. Why even bother being in the racing business? Well, soon they won't -- they'll be in the slot machine business.

Since Equibase seems to be taking over all functions of the industry, perhaps slot revenue should flow back to them,too, and then be distributed to all racetracks. Maybe all racetracks should just throw all their money into one big pot and divide it up equally -- revenue sharing -- like other professional sports franchises.

WeirdWilly
09-13-2006, 12:12 PM
One of the biggest draws of horseracing for me is the fact that it I can make INFORMED wagers. ANd a big part of the appeal of NYRA is (was?) the access to a wealth of data which didn't zap my stake. Otherwise...it's playing the lottery - equ-keno if you will! (groan)

Hopefully, they will restore, and perhaps even add, to the data they have available. Encourage people to immerse themselves in the game without putting up a tollbooth at every stop, MARKET THAT FACT, and perhaps they will draw more people and build "brand loyalty".

But what do I know? I'm just a clueless newbie!

highnote
09-13-2006, 12:22 PM
One of the biggest draws of horseracing for me is the fact that it I can make INFORMED wagers. ANd a big part of the appeal of NYRA is (was?) the access to a wealth of data which didn't zap my stake. Otherwise...it's playing the lottery - equ-keno if you will! (groan)

Hopefully, they will restore, and perhaps even add, to the data they have available. Encourage people to immerse themselves in the game without putting up a tollbooth at every stop, MARKET THAT FACT, and perhaps they will draw more people and build "brand loyalty".

But what do I know? I'm just a clueless newbie!

I agree with you. It blows me away that the industry thinks they will draw more customers to the game by making it more expensive to enter. They continually adopt a shortsighted, quick buck, strategy. And they are constantly pleading poverty.

I don't believe for a second that the industry financial problems are as bad as they make them out to be. If that was the case a lot more tracks would be closing their doors.

So NYRA is going to get slots -- then are they still going to charge for data? Once they have slot money what incentive will they have to draw new fans to racing? NONE. ZERO. ZILCH. NADA. In fact, if no one shows up the horsemen will probably make more from slot subsidies than they will from betting handle. I am happy for the horsemen. The racing fan is not going to be so fortunate.

They have just shown with their new website that the fan is not important. Rather than make the site better, they made it worse. They offer less information for free. If you want more information you have to pay for it through Equibase.

Sorry, but the NHL, MLB and others have been scrutinized for anti-trust violations and I don't see how what Equibase is doing is any different.

But in the interest of full disclosure, I'm just one guy who doesn't even bet NYRA. So you can make your own judgements. Of course, the reason I don't bet NYRA is because of some of the things above.

Ron
09-13-2006, 12:36 PM
The color scheme is awful. Some of the links are unreadable. This is not rocket science.

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 01:39 PM
"You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied."
_
This is the message I get when I try to go to the website fron Horse-races.net, the all-TBred links site!
hOW THE HELL DOES THE NEW NYRA WEBSITE KNOW I DO NOT LIVE IN NY STATE?
Oh well, SA is running so fast I can make good money betting early speed in Ca!
Wake me up when New York stops their in-fighting and games!

OTM Al
09-13-2006, 01:45 PM
So much for that. Used to be one of the best track sites on the web. Now they've done away with everything that made it good, especially changing over to Equibase charts that go back what, a whole week.

the_fat_man
09-13-2006, 02:01 PM
it's all good

we're very fortunate to live in a high technology world

and one in which we have to option of paying or not paying for services

I live in New York and watch the NYRA races on the OTB channel

makes sense, then, that I'd bet the NY tracks

NYRA decides to SCREW ME

instead of offering MORE --for example, why not replay ALL the DAY's RACES --the complete replays, with headons----during DEAD AIR TIME---

NYRA decides to offer LESS

basically telling me to PAY EQUIBASE, PAY EQUIBASE, PAY EQUIBASE

while I ALSO

PAY BIG TAKEOUT, PAY BIG TAKEOUT, PAY BIG TAKOUT

and

PAY BIG TAKES (if I win), PAY BIG TAXES,

you get the drift

MY REPSONSE:

1) not like I ever go to the track anymore ---tired of fighting the PSEUDO traffic on the BELT ---you know, the draw bridge going up, the crews sweeping the dirt off the highway, etc.

2) CALRACING.com gives me all I want and FOR FREE
and they run later so I don't need to rush early in the day

3) should Calracing decide to go the GREEDY route

there's always HONG KONG racing where YOU GET EVERYTHING FOR FREE!!!

Or

I could just BEND OVER with the REST OF THE GANG

and PAY BRIS and EQUIBASE and the rest for things I should be getting for free

It's all just a click away

the choice is only whether to do it the FREE way (this is the land of the free)

or

BEND OVER

highnote
09-13-2006, 02:31 PM
the choice is only whether to do it the FREE way

The cost of distributing an electronic file is miniscule compared to the cost of distributing paper media. Yet we are still being charged as if we're buying paper.

I see good and bad no matter what the model.

If NYRA remains non-profit, I think it's good because the horsemen should get a good share of the pie.

If a for-profit takes over, maybe they will make more money and the horsemen will still get their share. However, will a for-profit company be far-sighted enough to take care of customers? They'll have to or else perish. But will they still try to make the fast back and sell products through equibase or will they be sensible and make the data available online at reduced cost through their own channels?

This is a very complex time in the industry with a lot of uncertainties. But one thing is clear, the fan is being charged too much for racing data from equibase.

Maybe the NYRA site should be providing links to other data providers besides just equibase -- BRIS, HDW, etc.

Does the NYRA website have a mission statement on it? Does anyone know if NYRA even has a mission statement. If so, what is it?

I'd like to know it. And then I'd like to see if they are living up to it. And then I'd like to know if it is a reasonable mission statement.

WINMANWIN
09-13-2006, 02:32 PM
Anyone know if Bruno stills works for N.Y.R.A ? I think he was the web Guru
there :confused: Suff, My buddie, how's things dude ? Give me a holler when your in New York ;)

ghostyapper
09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
It doesn't really make much difference to me whether equibase or nyra handle their information

What bothers me about the new site is just like a magna site, they stripped the website of any stakes information. The old site used to have a history of each stakes race, the winner, time, jockey, owner, etc

It boggles my mind how magna and now nyra have no stakes information on their site

ghostyapper
09-13-2006, 03:53 PM
How many of you knew that you could go back and review charts from the Aqueduct winter meet, look at old entries, view videos of old stakes race and view replays from the AQ meet?

For replays just go to the racereplays/nyra site. They have replays of the last meet at each track.

Suff
09-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Anyone know if Bruno stills works for N.Y.R.A ? I think he was the web Guru
there :confused: Suff, My buddie, how's things dude ? Give me a holler when your in New York ;)

Butchie:

I'll be in town frequently this winter. I got a deal going in manhattan. Good to see? you?:ThmbUp: I believe Bruno left.

remember this? :lol:

The NYRA.com Message Board has been discontinued as of Thursday, February 17, 2005 for continual instances of slander, innuendo, personal insults, gossip and the repeated posting of copyrighted material. The New York Racing Association Inc. has made the executive decision to dismantle the NYRA.com Message Board as a breeding ground these types of inappropriate and illegal posts.

For fans who have communicated through the Message Board in good faith, there are many message boards and chat rooms that are available for discussion of horse racing, including Finalturn.com(beat us out of interboard prize two years ago), Paceadvantage.com, thoroughbredchampions.com, letitride.com and ESPN.com.

Bruno Zalubil
NYRA Web Site Administrator

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 04:39 PM
"You are not authorized to view this page
You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied."
_
This is the message I get when I try to go to the website fron Horse-races.net, the all-TBred links site!
hOW THE HELL DOES THE NEW NYRA WEBSITE KNOW I DO NOT LIVE IN NY STATE?
Oh well, SA is running so fast I can make good money betting early speed in Ca!
Wake me up when New York stops their in-fighting and games!

pjbc77
09-13-2006, 10:11 PM
That is terrible news. I loved that they had the charts going all the way back, and always wondered how many other people knew it. It's a shame that all that free information is now gone.

Tom
09-13-2006, 10:58 PM
My commment to the NYRA guy......nice going, you cheap bastards!
Hope you morons lose the francise - why should anyone support YOU?
It took you all of Saratoga to come up with THAT POS excuse for a website?
Boy, you guys are really inept.
Long live Spitzer.....bye bye losers!:lol::ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Observer
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM
*-The Calendar tells you nothing other than open & dark days.

*-Where can I find program numbers?

*-Why can't scratches & changes be on the same page?

*-Why can't entries, workouts, etc. be on a printer-friendly page? (That actually minimizes the number of pages to print the info onto).

*-The "Entries" tell you practically nothing. Where are the actual conditions of the allowance races? How do you know if a claiming race has conditions??? And what about the actual written price range on the claiming races?

PaceAdvantage
09-14-2006, 02:52 AM
My commment to the NYRA guy......nice going, you cheap bastards!
Hope you morons lose the francise - why should anyone support YOU?
It took you all of Saratoga to come up with THAT POS excuse for a website?
Boy, you guys are really inept.
Long live Spitzer.....bye bye losers!:lol::ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

Tom, thanks for sugar coating it! :lol:

LurkingBettor
09-14-2006, 03:22 AM
One of the few sites that actually had program #'s with the scratches instead of just the horse name as well as newly gelded, etc.

Definitely a downgrade IMHO.

foregoforever
09-14-2006, 06:14 AM
I'll throw in an easy one. I plan my trips to NYRA tracks based on the stakes schedule. The old NYRA site was one of the few that made it quick and easy to find this information.

It's probably on the new site layout somewhere, but it's not obvious. I've been looking for several minutes and haven't found it.

weegee
09-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Wasn't there a big set-to some time ago about Barry Schwartz's son-in-law getting the contract to do the [former] web site? NYRA-bashers implied there was no bidding process and the contract was awarded as a plum to a Schwartz family member. Since that's how things work in Albany, I'm not surprised they would immediately assume someone's family member would take NYRA for a ride. However, maybe the family member did a really good job.

highnote
09-14-2006, 09:06 AM
However, maybe the family member did a really good job.

Maybe. But how hard is it to find a non-family member who knows how to put together a website? I'm sure there are 20 people on PA that could improve the NYRA website by an order of magnatude. (Get it -- magnatudue :lol: )

Indulto
09-14-2006, 03:45 PM
However, maybe the family member did a really good job.Maybe. But how hard is it to find a non-family member who knows how to put together a website? I'm sure there are 20 people on PA that could improve the NYRA website by an order of magnatude. (Get it -- magnatudue :lol: )WG and SJ,
You're both right.

I really liked the old NYRA HTML stakes schedule because it was very easy to convert to a dBASE file and they published it for the entire year in advance. The FG stakes schedule is now PDF (Churchill Degrades Information ;)).

I guess my dBASE application that ranks weekend/holiday dates for simulcast opportunities by purse and helps me plan/schedule my HOL attendance is now history unless the DRF continues to offer the data in news articles.:(

ghostyapper
09-16-2006, 01:38 PM
I cannot find 1 piece of evidence on that site that the JCGC even exists, no date, no history, possiblies.

At first I said I didn't mind having equibase manage the data but that was assuming it would still show up on the nyra site. Whats the point of having a site when all your links just point to another site?

highnote
09-16-2006, 02:13 PM
Whats the point of having a site when all your links just point to another site?

Exactly. That is the problem with a monopoly.

Suff
09-16-2006, 03:26 PM
NO PRINTABLE VERSIONS OF SCRATCH PAGE!
( OR ANY PAGE)

FORCED TO PRINT ALL TABS, AND MENU BAR.

DEAR MR. NYRA:

YOU SEEN THE PRICE OF INK CARTRIDGES LATELY?

BEST REGARDS

WORKING STIFF

betovernetcapper
09-16-2006, 03:31 PM
On the plus side they have begun a free Racing Channel clone tote. :)

Tom
09-16-2006, 04:19 PM
Suff Try this:

Select (text just scratches)
copy
paste (in notepad)
print (only scratches) balck only.

I haven't seen yet - do they still list the rail psotions for turf races?

Suff
09-16-2006, 05:00 PM
Suff Try this:

Select (text just scratches)
copy
paste (in notepad)
print (only scratches) balck only.

I haven't seen yet - do they still list the rail psotions for turf races?

yea, I know that thomas. But consider this, even your buddys over at DRF offer printable versions of thier data pages.....:bang:

Storm Cadet
09-17-2006, 11:36 AM
It's Sunday AM at 11:35 AM...still no scratches up on NYRA site....Suff PLEASE wake these bums up with some coffee will ya! What do we have 3 PM racing today?

Tom
09-17-2006, 12:01 PM
I was trying to fibnd them myself.
Turfways are up, so guess what track Iam plying today and totally ignoring?
Hopefully, those cheapskate bastard at NYRA will feel some monetary losses.
how can any group of peopl be be so damned STUPID and IGNORANT?

I am now solidly in favor of ANYONE taking over the franchise. Thier actions do not deserve support anymore.

Indulto
09-17-2006, 02:29 PM
Exactly. That is the problem with a monopoly.I wonder how the NYRA's deal with TVG has worked out for them AND the NY horsemen? Were anti-trust considerations part of TVG's decision to quit HAW?

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2006, 12:27 AM
I was trying to fibnd them myself.
Turfways are up, so guess what track Iam plying today and totally ignoring?
Hopefully, those cheapskate bastard at NYRA will feel some monetary losses.
how can any group of peopl be be so damned STUPID and IGNORANT?

I am now solidly in favor of ANYONE taking over the franchise. Thier actions do not deserve support anymore.

Looks like a full complement of NYRA changes were up at this page (click on CHANGES on the NYRA website....they are linking to equibase):

http://www.equibase.com/premium/changes/BEL-changes.asp

And they were updated throughout the day...I don't know what time they went up, but I don't understand how people can get so worked up over not being able to find scratches/changes.

Equibase.Com lists changes and scratches here:

http://www.equibase.com/scratch/index.cfm

Plus you can get scratches where *I* have always gotten my scratches, from my online wagering provider (YOUBET is best, BrisBET is ok with changes).

I know this isn't your first day playing the races, so most of you guys must know about this already. Trying to pick a winner is stressful enough without having to worry about where you are going to get your changes from....that's why it's best to have multiple sources....

PaceAdvantage
09-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Oh yeah, the grizzled NYRA veterans on this board surely must know that you can also call the switchboard and ask for the SCRATCH LINE after a certain time (I think it's 11:30am for a 1:00pm post, but don't quote me on that time).

Dial 516-488-6000 and ask for "SCRATCH LINE".....so this is source number FOUR (NYRA website, Equibase, account wagering provider, phone) for scratches from NYRA.

Always have a backup plan....

ponyplayerdotca
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
I hope some of what I do can be useful to you.

I'm not an everyday player, nor am I a computer software user for wagering. I still kind of play it "old school". I use the DRF for past performances. I sense that many find this to be an outdated and insufficient way to handicap these days, but that's what I do.

I mainly play MOUNTAINEER. I watch the races on my computer when I get the chance.

I get my entries from DRF.com (you don't need to login or join - entries and results are still direct links).

Entries: http://newdata.drf.com/entries/eindex.html

Results: http://newdata.drf.com/results/rindex.html

I open up the track's entries for the date I want (morning line odds usually appear 1-to-2 days before that day's card).

I left-click, hold and drag my mouse from top to bottom in order to highlight in blue the entries info within the webpage.

I then go to the browser's edit menu and select COPY.

I then open Microsoft Word, open a new file and select PASTE.

The same chart form info opens and appears in WORD.

I save the file. Now, it's a word document that I can manually type in any changes to (including conditions, etc.).

I get the race conditions from the overnight PDF files on the Mountaineer website. (I assume NYRA and other sites still offer some overnight file information.).

I then manually enter the "never won two races" or "N2L" into the entries Word document I created.

I then get the scratches, overweights, and jockey changes from the Mountaineer simulcast video signal.

They appear on-screen half-an-hour before first race post time. I change the color of the font for any changes in my entries Word document to red. That way they pop off the page at me while I'm preparing for the race.

Then I refer to my print copy of the DRF charts and add all the changes there.

On Tuesdays, it is really beneficial because the jockey's names are usually listed on several horses in the same race. Once you seen which one he/she chose to ride, you often have an edge as to which of those horses the jockey believes will do better.

This is very basic info manipulation on my part, but it's what I do to keep all the updated info on my screen as I watch the races.

Should I have to do all of this simply to be able to an informed player? Hell, no! But it's quite apparent that those taking my money don't seem to want me to be comfortable, do they? Hence, why horse track directors keep making boneheaded decisions throughout the country.

I have no idea if any of this helps any of you in your daily struggles. I certainly hope you guys get the word out though. I am a lifelong frustrated horseplayer who feels the industry continually turns its back on me too.

We have to try to help each other before the sport is completely homogenized and sterile. Good luck. :ThmbUp:

Storm Cadet
09-18-2006, 03:30 PM
And they were updated throughout the day...I don't know what time they went up, but I don't understand how people can get so worked up over not being able to find scratches/changes.

The scratches which used to be up in a timely 11 AM for a 1 PM post, we not put up till after 11.30 AM by Equibase this past saturday. For the person playing at home, it's probably not a big deal.

But to the racing fan who like to actually go to the track, and run a program such as CJ's without the nags who are scratched, print them out then drive...that 30 minutes is a big deal.

PA unless you want to part with that nice little computer and pass it around at the paddock :D

Tom
09-18-2006, 05:17 PM
I have a back up plan - when they x's are not up early, I find d track wehre they are. I see no reason to HAVE to play NYRA.
TP X's were up, so I played TP. Never missed NYRA a bit.
you are right, though, handicapping is stressful enough, so I will send my money to a track who takes care of their customers with the little things, like putting up scratchs early.

Suff
09-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I understand the situation.

1. Equibase
2. Money
3. Other Priorities
4. Duplication of data available elsewhere.

I understand, and understood. However , still. I'm disappointed in its cheesy look and feel, and the elimination of the stakes replays. I had expectations that they've fell short of. Very short.

Oh well. There's a lot of people hungry in the world. Not a big deal in the scheme of life. I just had two hot dogs a bag a chips and a soda. ( as an afternoon snack!:lol: )

TurfRuler
09-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I got this information from Paceadvantage earlier this year and have been using it every since to view the race replays for Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga, going back months. It is the only racereplay.com that is free.

did you guys see yesterdays first race at belmont? Heres the link

http://www.racereplays.com/nyra

kenwoodallpromos
09-18-2006, 06:15 PM
I understand the situation.

1. Equibase
2. Money
3. Other Priorities
4. Duplication of data available elsewhere.

I understand, and understood. However , still. I'm disappointed in its cheesy look and feel, and the elimination of the stakes replays. I had expectations that they've fell short of. Very short.

Oh well. There's a lot of people hungry in the world. Not a big deal in the scheme of life. I just had two hot dogs a bag a chips and a soda. ( as an afternoon snack!:lol: )

highnote
09-18-2006, 06:32 PM
I got this information from Paceadvantage earlier this year and have been using it every since to view the race replays for Aqueduct, Belmont and Saratoga, going back months. It is the only racereplay.com that is free.

did you guys see yesterdays first race at belmont? Heres the link

http://www.racereplays.com/nyra

If the site if free why the f___ do I have to register. I hate that.

PA doesn't make us register to lurk, just to post.

Tom
09-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Must be they sell our info so the NYRA execs can afford a table from Manny!:lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2006, 01:22 AM
The scratches which used to be up in a timely 11 AM for a 1 PM post, we not put up till after 11.30 AM by Equibase this past saturday. For the person playing at home, it's probably not a big deal.

But to the racing fan who like to actually go to the track, and run a program such as CJ's without the nags who are scratched, print them out then drive...that 30 minutes is a big deal.

Good point about those that get scratches before going to the track. I used to be like that...used to hold out till the last minute so I could run my numbers before taking off for the track....

Next time this happens, be sure to call the NYRA switchboard and ask for the scratch line....the resulting recording will give you all the changes for the day up to that point (scratches, jockey changes, etc.)

westny
09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Wasn't there a big set-to some time ago about Barry Schwartz's son-in-law getting the contract to do the [former] web site? NYRA-bashers implied there was no bidding process and the contract was awarded as a plum to a Schwartz family member. Since that's how things work in Albany, I'm not surprised they would immediately assume someone's family member would take NYRA for a ride. However, maybe the family member did a really good job.

Actually, NYRA got a first class web site for a "techno-song". The NYRA old site packed alot of data into very manageable site. Contrary to some comments about the old site, once you navigated through the the site, finding data was a breeze....

To the contrary, former CEO Schwartz's son-in-law built theold NYRA site and maintained it for a substantial fee REDUCTION for several years when compared to the fees of their client base. FirstBornMultimedia developed and maintained Showdown and the other contests as part of the web service.

The "new" NYRA web site is the exact same as several other tracks. The Jockey Club uses some other web company, and NYRA is just a name superimposed on a cheap program..like Xeroxing. NYRA pays more now for "newXerox" web page than it did for the old one.

Oh, and the first night the "NEW" NYRA website debuted, it had a picture of KEENELAND RACE TRACK AS THE NYRA LOGO PICTURE. Go read the posts on the de facto nyra message board where a few sharp nyra posters picked up this stupidity in a flash.

Unfortunately, someone read those posts, and emailed nyra THAT night, and by the next morning they had the picture changed. Until this point, I was "rooting" for nyra to maintain the franchise. Now, I don't know.

Firstborn Multimedia - This was the company that built and maintained the old NYRA web site. Who was doing who the favor?

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
it.

Firstborn Multimedia is an independently owned digital design and technology firm with headquarters in New York City and Los Angeles. Started in 1997, Firstborn has created interactive websites and applications for high-profile clients.

Top Clients
Bacardi
The Beatles
Bug Editorial
Calvin Klein
Clarins Fragrance Group
Columbia University
Comedy Central
Crispin, Porter + Bogusky
Dell Computer Corporation
Estée Lauder
Edison Innovation Foundation
Federated Department Stores
Fallon
FILA
Food Network
French Connection UK
Goodby, Silverstein & Partners
HGTV
JWT
Kerzner International
Kohn Pedersen Fox Associates (KPF)
L’Oréal
Lancôme
LOGO Channel
MTV Networks
Madonna
McGraw-Hill
Museum of Modern Art (MoMA)
NBC Universal Cable
People Magazine
Publicis
Ralph Lauren Fragrances
SCI FI Channel
Target
T:M Advertising
Universal McCann (a division of McCann-Erickson)
USA Network
Vh1
Victoria’s Secret
Vitamin Water
Zirh
[edit]
Recent Work
Thomas Edison Foundation
MINI Mail
Ford - Warriors in Pink
Malibu Rum
Nationwide Insurance - Life Comes At You Fast
Toyota FJ Cruiser
Target Design for All
Food Network - Eat This with Dave Lieberman
Kohn Pederson Fox Architects
Atlantis Paradise Island

[edit]
Official Website
Firstborn Website
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firstborn_Multimedia"

highnote
09-19-2006, 02:09 AM
Good point about those that get scratches before going to the track. I used to be like that...used to hold out till the last minute so I could run my numbers before taking off for the track....

Next time this happens, be sure to call the NYRA switchboard and ask for the scratch line....the resulting recording will give you all the changes for the day up to that point (scratches, jockey changes, etc.)

Good point -- at least they make that option available. However, I still go back to the mission statement GTE used to have before they merged with Verizon -- "We want to be the easiest business in the industry to do business with."

NYRA website just made it harder for a lot of handicappers to do business with them.

More, better, cheaper and faster is what a company should be striving to offer it's customers. NYRA is offering less, worse, more expensive and slower.

There are companies that believe they should "exceed customer expectations."

I am reminded of the saying you are shown when you approach a Stew Leonard's store entrance -- something to the effect of -- "Rule #1: The customer is always right." "Rule #2: If in doubt -- see Rule #1."

Stew Leonard's is a very successful supermarket in the middle of one of the most competitive retail food markets in the country -- lower Fairfield County, Connecticut. And it is because of beliefs like those.

One thing about the racing industry... it has never appreciated the value of it's most important assests -- Horses, Jockeys and Customers.

However, if there was a way for the industry to make a few extra dollars by having Jockeys and Customers end up in a can of dog at the end of their useful lives, I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate. :D

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2006, 02:13 AM
I never really used the old NYRA website much, and I haven't gotten a good look around the new one, but from those that are posting here, it's obviously a big step backward.

I suggest you guys either call or write NYRA and let them know your opinion of the change.

I really think Equibase might have something to do with all of this. After all, NYRA had a lot more charts available for free than Equibase was putting out there for NYRA tracks, correct? That alone is something I'm sure Equibase wasn't happy about....

TurfRuler
09-19-2006, 04:30 PM
If the site if free why the f___ do I have to register. I hate that.

PA doesn't make us register to lurk, just to post.

Give a rat a jar of peanut butter and next he will ask you to put it on two slices of bread.

highnote
09-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Give a rat a jar of peanut butter and next he will ask you to put it on two slices of bread.

Whole wheat, please. :D

Storm Cadet
09-19-2006, 08:45 PM
Whole wheat, please. :D

Grape jelly too please!!!!

highnote
09-19-2006, 08:55 PM
Grape jelly too please!!!!

Marshmellow with peanut butter -- creamy style. Yum. :jump:

Seriously, think about, I give them my personal info. I get to watch one video. They get my info for life. That's not a good trade.

It doesn't make sense to have to login to get something for free. Why make it difficult for the customer. God forbid Equibase starts making us login to view a chart. That'll be the last time I visit their pages.

It's the internet folks -- it's all about sharing information. If you don't want to share it, then make it a pay service. But don't turn the customer away before they even enter the store. If you do then they won't come back. I know I won't.

Life's too short as it is. The last thing I need is to remember another friggin' password and username. No time for it.

PaceAdvantage
09-20-2006, 01:22 AM
Let me try and understand this for a minute....

Are you saying it's better that they charge money for something, then give it away for free (FREE in terms of $$$$). Are people that opposed to giving out their email address (and email addresses can be CREATED quite easily....I should know...people try and do it to me all the time on this board).

If I can get something worthwhile for free, and all I have to do is sign up with a user name, password, and email address, do I really have a right to complain?

Since when did FREE take on a whole other meaning?

highnote
09-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Let me try and understand this for a minute....

Are you saying it's better that they charge money for something, then give it away for free (FREE in terms of $$$$).

No. That is not what I'm saying... at least, not what I'm trying to imply.

Are people that opposed to giving out their email address (and email addresses can be CREATED quite easily....I should know...people try and do it to me all the time on this board).

I am opposed to giving out my email. It often generates spam. This I know to be true. Making a false email to login to a website is not only a hassle, on a certain level it is lying.

If I can get something worthwhile for free, and all I have to do is sign up with a user name, password, and email address, do I really have a right to complain?

If you have to give up email and other info to get something then what you are getting is not really free. Just because you don't pay money does not mean you are not giving up something of value. Obtaining personal info is obviously desirable and valuable, otherwise it wouldn't be required.

When I go to Costco with the kids and they are handing out free hors deourves they do not require personal information about me before I can have some of their food. The idea behind their taste promotion is that they are try ingto get us to buy their food.

Since when did FREE take on a whole other meaning?

I don't know about you, but to me FREE means "to obtain something without cost".

So the "free" replays are note really free. I can't remember if the website actually said they are free or not. But the implication is that they are free. My belief is that they are not.

Now, my belief may differ from yours. You may believe giving up personal information is not giving up something of value. I believe it is. I'm not saying you're wrong. We just have a different belief system.

Suff
09-20-2006, 11:46 AM
11:44 no scratches available.:mad:

Further the web page reads

This information is updated just prior to the first race for the day.

Please check back at that time

highnote
09-20-2006, 12:14 PM

Turf,

Technically, your post is incorrect. It's not a big deal, but it is one of my internet pet peeves. Your statement would be more accurate if you would say FREE to registered users.

You set me up with an expectation that I would get free access to a Belmont replay for the first race. Then when I navigated to the site I found I had to register. Requiring registration to get this service means it is not a free service.

It's free once you register, but it is not free until you register.

I could have been more tactful in describing my annoyance. But I'm human and these things annoy me. What can I say except that I apologize for my curtness.

Now pass the bread please. :)

John

Suff
09-20-2006, 12:15 PM
12:15 no scratches available.:mad:

Further the web page reads

This information is updated just prior to the first race for the day.

Please check back at that time

NYRA Scratch Line/Main Switchboard busy--busy-busy.. wait a minute, Busy- Busy...

:ThmbDown: :(

the_fat_man
09-20-2006, 03:00 PM
What a way to RUIN a perfectly good situation.

Why would I frequent the NYRA site (or even bet NYRA)

when I can't even get a FREE program on their site

and their toteboard is hit or miss to load

so, let's summarize:

1) encrypted charts so no one will steal data from equibase (NO PRINTING)

2) ecrypted PPs so no one will steal data from equibase

3) no more archived charts on the NYRA site

4) no more 'programs' on the NYRA site (free)

5) replacement of a perfectly good site with MUCH (free) info with one that is both difficult to navigate and basically OFFERS NOTHING

It's all about Fking it up for the horseplayer.

Now, I already PAY (cable) to watch the NYCotb feed

what's next, PAY PER VIEW for each race?

Let's tighten the viewing security, wouldn't want anyone to get something for (what seems to be) FREE.

cj
09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
I think I need to start applying for Customer Relations jobs at racetracks. I can guarentee an increase in handle. Hell, absolutely anything I do has to be better than the status quo.

the_fat_man
09-20-2006, 03:26 PM
You know what gets me: SCREW all the other issues.

If a TRACK has a WEBSITE

the least they can do is POST UPDATED (after the scratches) ENTRY INFORMATION

with ACCURATE NUMBER and POST POSITION info.

Then we can head to the day's changes section.

Is that TOO MUCH to ASK FOR?

Tom
09-20-2006, 05:24 PM
Two word, guys.....BOY COTT!

Let NYRA know we are mad as hell and are not going to take it anymore.

I have.
That's one $10 bill they don't get this week! :rolleyes:

Storm Cadet
09-20-2006, 05:46 PM
Here's what NYRA/Equibase posted today on their web site.

Scratch Line Change

Effective Thursday, September 21, 2006, New York Racing Association patrons may dial (718) 687-4848 for scratches. This number will be for all NYRA tracks: Belmont Park, Aqueduct and Saratoga Race Course

Either they are reading this board or the NYRA discussion board. People are so pissed. I hope they have it on tape and more than one line for incomming calls. Notice they don't say WHAT TIME to call and when the scratches are being made available. Typical. Fire all those bums! or send them to a sports marketing class.

samyn on the green
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Cappers never gave NYRA their due respect for the old website. Why were their not threads of appreciation on how great the old website was? I guess it is just human nature to be an ungrateful and demanding. I would like to publically thank NYRA and firstborn media for hosting such a great website from 1997-2006. Thank you very much for all the timely info and great games like showdown. Firstborns replacement equibase is completely bushleague when compared to your product.

The firstborn NYRA site was a great format. That website is what really brought me into NYRA racing and why I never bothered with lessor tracks. Now that the website is history we have a preview of what the NY tracks will be like if CHDN or Magna or whoever has the largest bribes for Spitzer takes control. Starting off we have a steamlined, corporate garbage website where the least amount of cost is the driving factor in its design. The good old days are almost over, now we will really have something to complain about.

Suff
09-20-2006, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE]Cappers never gave NYRA their due respect for the old website. Why were their not threads of appreciation on how great the old website was?

You did'nt see them? They were right after your threads of Gratitude and Appreciation for Pace Advantage.

And the hot burger at McDonald's,

And the thread for tide detergent for cleaning my clothes

and the thread for the nice soft toilet paper from Charmin...

I guess it is just human nature to be an ungrateful and demanding

It's more like human nature to grind axe's anonymously on message boards.

Suff
09-20-2006, 06:56 PM
Here's what NYRA/Equibase posted today on their web site.

Scratch Line Change

Effective Thursday, September 21, 2006, New York Racing Association patrons may dial (718) 687-4848 for scratches. This number will be for all NYRA tracks: Belmont Park, Aqueduct and Saratoga Race Course

Go click on " statement from CEO Charles Hayward."

Statement From Charles Hayward, NYRA President & CEO
(Response To Empire Letter To Ms. Carole Stone)

to:

<empty>:lol: :faint:

DeoVolente
09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
As mentioned head on replays similar to what Calracing offered would a good addition to the replays.

highnote
09-20-2006, 09:59 PM
NYRA has the best racing in the country. no doubt. I appreciate that.

But why not have the best customer service, too?

So let's say Empire wins the franchise. What happens if they go bankrupt after the 5th year of their 20 year contract?

Who takes over? Or does racing just cease?

ghostyapper
09-20-2006, 10:33 PM
I think the whole requiring you to register thing is more of a race replays thing than a nyra thing. I agree its a pain but at least we get to see all the replays now, not just the stakes races.

Very good response suff to samyn asking about the "appreciation threads"

To be honest, even though the old nyra site was much better than this one, I never thought that was a great site either. Yes it was better than any other track but it was still lacking.

Honestly is it too much to ask these billion dollar entities to have an abundance of content? I have the same issues with sites like the nfl or nba sites. I have seen fan sites, hosted by a single person doing it as a hobby, that blows those sites away when it comes to content or organization.

Its just amazing why they don't see the value of having a great website.

samyn on the green
09-20-2006, 10:43 PM
NYRA replays for every single race have been availbale since at least 2003, this is not a new thing. I agree its a pain but at least we get to see all the replays now, not just the stakes races.

website.

highnote
09-20-2006, 10:50 PM
A lot of this stuff is legacy left over from the last 300 years of racing. Racing was started by wealthy individuals racing against other wealthy individuals for sport. They were not trying to appease the fans of racing -- if there ever were any working class fans.

Fast forward to the last century. NYRA and most racing jurisdictions were awarded state sanctioned monopolies. There was some competition from state to state, but by and large racing was run as a monopoly. Since they were the only gambling game in town people came out in droves -- and it wasn't because everyone was a racing fan -- it's because people liked to gamble.

During that time tracks were flush with money. The money was coming in so easily it wasn't necessary to take care of the customer. The state got their cut. Everyone was happy.... except that the state has insatiable appetite for easy revenue.

First, Atlantic City was allowed to operate casinos. Then lotteries started spreading. The states enjoyed even more easy money.

Racing never adjusted to this shift away from gambling on horses to gambling on lottery tickets and slot machines.

Las Vegas has a casino everywhere. The customer service at a Vegas casino is far better than racetrack customer service.

If a person enjoys gambling for the sake of entertainment, where are they going to go -- a casino or a racetrack?

The best thing about slots at racetracks is that maybe people will buy a quick pick on a horse race so they will have some extra action while they are pressing the buttons on a slot machine.

Customer service may not be necessary at the NYRA tracks once the slots are in place. The NY racino will enjoy a monopoly on slot machines so will not need to worry about customer service.

I hope they open slot machine parlors all around NYC so that maybe competition will be a key driver of success for these establishments. Who knows, maybe then good customer service will spill over to the racetracks.

.... I can dream, can't I?

PaceAdvantage
09-20-2006, 11:11 PM
Wow, I have never gotten a busy signal before when trying to call the scratch line.....

Guess maybe I've started some trouble with the NYRA switchboard? :lol:

Now they have a dedicated number.....lol

And I wonder why I can't get more paid advertisers on this site....:faint:

WINMANWIN
09-20-2006, 11:54 PM
I didn't realize it, I forgot about it actually :sleeping: The new franchise is suppose to be AWARDED in the next 10 days or so. I doubt that very much :lol: My guess is the determination will be months away. Currently N.Y.R.A is still bickering about land rights, bankruptcy, and VLT'S. Possibly after the November elections. Imagine if N.Y.R.A. loses the franchise bid They're suppose to Retain the franchise to the end of 2007. Unless the franchise committee changes the laws, and another franchise operator gets in sooner If awarded, The New York racing scene will become more comical. No wonder N.Y.R.A doesn't care about thier website, thats the least of there current problems :D Even Tom Durkin's job is in jeopardy.
Finger Lakes gets the pulse racing now and then, this comedy show is just beginning to start, but many players are not laughing. Maybe we should gamble on suits in cards and lady luck ! Then to continue supporting crooked politician's in suits, and other mishaps that this game offers.

Cesario!
09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
ARGH!!!! Where did all the video replays of the Belmont Stakes go? I wake up this morning in the mood to see A.P. Indy in 1993 and Smarty Jones in 2004 and NOTHING.

This new website is definately a downgrade. :ThmbDown:

Cesario!
09-21-2006, 09:38 AM
ARGH!!!! Where did all the video replays of the Belmont Stakes go? I wake up this morning in the mood to see A.P. Indy in 1993 and Smarty Jones in 2004 and NOTHING.

This new website is definately a downgrade. :ThmbDown:

Ok, I found them -- Google saved the day once again. Can't seem to get there from the mainsite anymore....

http://belmontstakes.nyra.com/belstakes2005/video.asp

Suff
09-21-2006, 11:50 AM

*-Where can I find program numbers?

*-Why can't scratches & changes be on the same page?

?

Out of the scratches screen I clicked on Weather, Track and Jockey/trainer changes and got this.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/changes/BEL-changes.asp

:ThmbUp:

TurfRuler
09-21-2006, 01:50 PM
.... I can dream, can't I?

A typical New Yorker, the whole post, A Sharpie. Thoroughly enjoyed reading the post. :ThmbUp:

Indulto
09-21-2006, 04:13 PM
A lot of this stuff is legacy left over from the last 300 years of racing. Racing was started by wealthy individuals racing against other wealthy individuals for sport. They were not trying to appease the fans of racing -- if there ever were any working class fans.

Fast forward to the last century. NYRA and most racing jurisdictions were awarded state sanctioned monopolies. There was some competition from state to state, but by and large racing was run as a monopoly. Since they were the only gambling game in town people came out in droves -- and it wasn't because everyone was a racing fan -- it's because people liked to gamble.

During that time tracks were flush with money. The money was coming in so easily it wasn't necessary to take care of the customer. The state got their cut. Everyone was happy.... except that the state has insatiable appetite for easy revenue.

First, Atlantic City was allowed to operate casinos. Then lotteries started spreading. The states enjoyed even more easy money.

Racing never adjusted to this shift away from gambling on horses to gambling on lottery tickets and slot machines.SJ,
Agree with TR -- A great post. It was never so clear to me that the NYRA's biggest problem was not corruption, but a failure to recognize change in a competitive environment which the for-profit racing enterprises failed to do also.

The NY racing franchise and OTBs historically and currently exist primarily to serve the state and local governments, not the horsemen or the players. The players will get bumped to 4th place if a for-profit bidder wins. Only by organizing will the non-professional player ever obtain acceptable customer service.

I for one don't want casino-type treatment. I want lower takeout and wager minimums, increased TV coverage, less expensive performance data, additional and more meaningful medication/procedure/equpment information, greater supervision of all aspects of track operation (especially steward activity), severe penalties for cheating, and greater TV and on-track exposure of real handicapping, training, and riding celebraties.

Your post suggests it may finally be important enough for players to demonstrate their collective influence for exertion PRIOR to the franchise being awarded to ensure that their interests will be considered.

TurfRuler
09-21-2006, 05:52 PM
SJ,
Agree with TR -- A great post.

Hear!!! Hear!!! :ThmbUp:

Tom
09-21-2006, 06:47 PM
Go to the CHANGES option and forget SCRATCHES.
The day Suff couldn't gdt x's at 12:15, they had already been on CHANGES for a half an hour.

Duh.......who runs that place, Alfred E Numan????

NYPlayer
09-28-2006, 01:58 PM
Oh yeah, the grizzled NYRA veterans on this board surely must know that you can also call the switchboard and ask for the SCRATCH LINE after a certain time (I think it's 11:30am for a 1:00pm post, but don't quote me on that time).

Dial 516-488-6000 and ask for "SCRATCH LINE".....so this is source number FOUR (NYRA website, Equibase, account wagering provider, phone) for scratches from NYRA.

Always have a backup plan....

Geez! The ole scratch line eh! I haven't used that in a few years. There seemed to always be trouble with the volume at the NYRA side. I had the dang hardest time trying to hear it on my cell phone. If there was one thing they should've eliminated.....

At least they still have live tote odds.