PDA

View Full Version : Favre

Valuist
09-12-2006, 10:30 AM
I cannot figure out why he came back. He had a horrible 2005 season, throwing 29 picks for a 4-12 team. Judging from opening week, he looks like he's back in 2005 form, barely completing 50% with a couple more picks in a shutout loss.

All the talk about going to another team for 2007 is laughable. What GM is going to want to pay 10 million for a 38YO interception prone QB? The guy was the best player in the NFL in the mid 90s but those days are long gone. The Packers need to get Rodgers on the field and see what they drafted in the first round last year.

banacek
09-12-2006, 11:41 AM
I The Packers need to get Rodgers on the field and see what they drafted in the first round last year.

They need to deal with it a different way. He's done too much for Green Bay that they just can't bench him. If they think he's done, they should talk to him, see if he wants to retire, play somewhere else, get a front office job, whatever. But don't have him sitting on the pine. That would be too embarassing to him and the franchise.

Valuist
09-12-2006, 11:57 AM
This may sound cold, but they can't worry about what he did ten years ago. Time is of the essence in the NFL. Different coach and the GM is relatively new. Favre was still playing at a fairly high level in 2004 but that was it. I think more than any other sport, guys get old in a hurry in the NFL, and once they do, they don't get it back.

JimG
09-12-2006, 12:19 PM
It is not unusual for formerly great quarterbacks to hold on too long. My all time favorite qb Johnny Unitas is a prime example of that. It was sad to watch him try to play for the Chargers. Farve's situation he has created for himself reminds me of that.

Valuist
09-12-2006, 12:27 PM
Joe Namath was another one. But it seems like today you don't see much of that anymore. I guess most figure they've banked their money and want to get out before risking serious injury. Guys like Steve Young and Troy Aikman knew it was time to hang it up.

The next one to watch is Bledsoe. He looked real bad in week 1. Its premature to write him off yet but there are red flags with him.

kenwoodallpromos
09-12-2006, 12:40 PM
His throws were just too far off to blame on anything but his arm, IMO.

rastajenk
09-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Even Joe Montana played beyond his usefulness in Kansas City. If Brett had packed it up after last year, he could be starring on one of the pre-game shows and enjoying life. Bad call on his part.

JPinMaryland
09-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Does anybody think this is it for Trent Green? I know the x rays were negative but didnt he had another serious head injury a year or two ago? THe hit looked brutal why was there no call.

Valuist
09-12-2006, 03:07 PM
It was a vicious hit. I don't believe there was a penalty but I understand he's going to get fined. You could be right. Green is not young. He's been around the league for awhile. He was in Washington for a few years before he went to St. Louis and he was supposed to be the engineer for that 99 Ram offense but got hurt.

sq764
09-12-2006, 03:07 PM
I cannot figure out why he came back.
I can think of 8 million reasons why

Valuist
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I can't. Look what he already has:

1. Loads of money. More money than he'll ever need
2. Hasn't had any major injuries. Yeah, some wear and tear but if he walked away he'd still be able to lead a normal life.
3. Super Bowl ring
4. 3 MVP trophies

If you already have millions, is an extra 8 worth the risk of a major injury, not to mention the frustration of playing poorly on a bad team?

bigmack
09-12-2006, 03:14 PM
I think some folk who wanted new furniture slipped him an envelope of $20's to throw the game:

Randy Gonigam, a Kendall County furniture store owner and "huge Bears fan," got tired of players bragging about their defense, so he decided to put his money on it.

Over Labor Day weekend, Gonigam's World Furniture Mall in Plano offered customers free furniture -- up to $10,000 -- if the Chicago Bears shut out the Green Bay Packers in their season opener.

Four quarters, 206 customers and about $300,000 later, Gonigam is still a little shell-shocked. "This is beyond our wildest dreams," he said.

The Bears blanked the Packers 26-0 Sunday, ending Green Bay's 233-game scoring streak and giving Brett Favre the first shutout of his 16-year NFL career.

The idea that it was a long shot didn't keep him from insuring the store for up to $300,000 worth of furniture with a company that specializes in insuring prize reimbursements.

Gonigam got the idea to offer full refunds over Labor Day weekend after hearing Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher brag that the team would have the best defense in the NFL this year.

"As a Chicago sports fan, you get frustrated," he said. "I thought, 'Prove it."'

Customer and expectant mother Kathleen Spayer, 40, went back into the store Monday to make sure her $5,000 master bedroom suite was really free.

"It's the luckiest year of my life," she said.

(Source AP)

ghostyapper
09-12-2006, 05:00 PM

2. Hasn't had any major injuries. Yeah, some wear and tear but if he walked away he'd still be able to lead a normal life.
3. Super Bowl ring
4. 3 MVP trophies

If you already have millions, is an extra 8 worth the risk of a major injury, not to mention the frustration of playing poorly on a bad team?

With these guys I don't think its about money. Its about what are they gonna do with all this free time? They have no life or very little life outside of football. Thats why they come back.

sq764
09-12-2006, 08:38 PM

3. Super Bowl ring
4. 3 MVP trophies

I would say yes, since he is playing.

sq764
09-12-2006, 08:39 PM

3. Super Bowl ring
4. 3 MVP trophies

And he'll never lead a normal life. He's got a long history of drug abuse (pain killers)..

JPinMaryland
09-12-2006, 11:43 PM
you know I thought about the Farve issue during the offseason and it seemed to me "yes" he can still throw the ball and all those picks were a function of him being behind and putting it up for grabs. Which he does. He can still bring it, he still has the arm, having watched a few GB games last year the arm strength was still there. It's just the picks looked gawdful but he looks bad when he forces it.

So I figured what the hell, he should try to play one more year. NOw after the Bears game I'm thinking maybe he's had it. But I can see Farve thinking the same thing. His arm strength is still there, if he can just refrain from throwing it up for grabs it may be all right.

Valuist
09-13-2006, 12:13 AM
Seen that the Packers were 4-12 last year, they were trailing a good portion of the season. Kind of like the chicken or the egg argument. If Favre isn't throwing picks, they don't trail so much, which means he's throwing even more picks because he's forcing the issue......and round and round it goes.