PDA

View Full Version : Path to 9-11

PlanB
09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
Path to 911 was great. Harvey Keitel was great & so was all the acting.

Secretariat
09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2006/sep/11/abc_consultant_richard_clarke_blasts_first_install ment_of_film

Somehow Richard Clarke (who was paid by ABC for the show) didn't agree.

"ABC Consultant Richard Clarke Blasts First Installment Of Film, Hints At ABC "Conspiracy"
By Greg Sargent

Richard Clarke, a consultant for ABC News and a senior counterterrorism official in the Bush and Clinton administrations, has just released a statement blasting the first installment of "The Path to 9/11." Interestingly, Clarke appeared to suggest that more than profit motivated the film: "Although I am not one to easily believe in conspiracy theories and have spent a great deal of time debunking them, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the errors in this screen play are more than the result of dramatization and time compression. There is throughout the screenplay a consistent bias and distortion seeking to portray senior Clinton Administration officials as holding back the hard charging CIA, FBI, and military officers who would otherwise have prevented 9-11. The exact opposite is true."

rastajenk
09-11-2006, 11:03 PM
"...seeking to portray senior Clinton Administration officials as holding back the hard charging CIA, FBI, and military officers who would otherwise have prevented 9-11. The exact opposite is true."

OK, so does that mean that Clintonites supported the hard-charging agents, even though their efforts produced nearly nothing? Or does it mean that the agents weren't hard charging officers and couldn't have prevented 9-11 no matter what? Which scenario best suits Dick Clarke's legacy?

sq764
09-12-2006, 01:08 AM
http://www.tpmcafe.com/blog/electioncentral/2006/sep/11/abc_consultant_richard_clarke_blasts_first_install ment_of_film

Somehow Richard Clarke (who was paid by ABC for the show) didn't agree.

"ABC Consultant Richard Clarke Blasts First Installment Of Film, Hints At ABC "Conspiracy"
By Greg Sargent

Richard Clarke, a consultant for ABC News and a senior counterterrorism official in the Bush and Clinton administrations, has just released a statement blasting the first installment of "The Path to 9/11." Interestingly, Clarke appeared to suggest that more than profit motivated the film: "Although I am not one to easily believe in conspiracy theories and have spent a great deal of time debunking them, it is hard to escape the conclusion that the errors in this screen play are more than the result of dramatization and time compression. There is throughout the screenplay a consistent bias and distortion seeking to portray senior Clinton Administration officials as holding back the hard charging CIA, FBI, and military officers who would otherwise have prevented 9-11. The exact opposite is true."
This show must have devisatated you eh? Called out Billy C for the coward he truly was. Sorry dude.

PaceAdvantage
09-12-2006, 01:54 AM
I agree with PlanB. I thought that for a TV movie, it was excellent. Richard Clarke was a guest on PrimeTime right after the movie, and he didn't mention being pissed off at all....guess he wasn't too pissed off to pass up an opportunity to assist ABC in another one of their programming slots.....

ponyplayerdotca
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
....who was the sitting President the day the towers came down?

Both Bush and Clinton are responsible for the events that occurred that day in 2001. Trying to assign a higher percentage of the blame on either of them is a fruitless pursuit.

Monumental flaws in the US government system were exploited and exposed then. The current administration has been trying to repair those deficiencies ever since, with both positive and negative results.

The bottom line (after this film airs) is that Clinton didn't get bin Laden then, and Bush hasn't gotten him either.

Both are to blame (not personally, but systematically) for their inability to ensure his capture and public trial and death. Osama's still free on their watch.

May the souls of those who died that day 5 years ago rest in peace, for they should still be alive and working in those two towers that should still be standing.

Secretariat
09-12-2006, 01:26 PM
This show must have devisatated you eh? Called out Billy C for the coward he truly was. Sorry dude.

Devastated? I didn't see it, but watched the Colts-Giants game. ( I must admit I was devastated about that as I was rooting for the Giants.) The second part I missed as well as I went grocery shopping.

I just don't like seeing the public airways used for political propaganda in the manner of Pravda.

I am curious though how many people did actually watch it. Will be interesting to see the Nielsen ratings on it.

and PA, I'm sure Clarke will take the money. Doesn't mean he didn't blast it as incorrect.

rastajenk
09-12-2006, 01:38 PM
"...and Bush hasn't gotten him either."

I wouldn't be so sure of that. Al-Q's #2 puts out a 9-11 video, but O'Sammy is nowhere to be found? Could be that he's been pushing up poppies for quite a while. What would be Al-Qaeda's motivation for confirming his death, if it has occurred? Some kind of devotion to the truth? Doubtful.

On the other hand, there are those that condemn everything the US has done as nothing more than creating new terrorists. Yet those same folks point out the bin Laden has not yet been caught, like it's some kind of major failing. How do these two items square? Wouldn't the capture and/or martyrdom of bin Laden create more terrorists? Wouldn't it just promote Number Two to Number One and the game would still be afoot? And why is getting bin Laden so important to people who believe in 9-11 conspiracies anyway?

tonto1944
09-12-2006, 02:04 PM
Welcome to the official homepage for Robert "Buzz" Patterson, two-time New York Times best selling author, radio show host, popular speaker and retired United States Air Force pilot.

Since his military retirement in 2001, Buzz has emerged as a vitally important voice for the American military and national security.

As the author of New York Times best sellers, Dereliction of Duty: How Bill Clinton Compromised America's National Security, and his recent release, Reckless Disregard: How Liberal Democrats Undercut Our Military, Endanger Our Soldiers, and Jeopardize Our Security, Buzz has established himself as a respected, frequently requested voice for national security and military affairs.

He is the national security columnist for the respected conservative weekly Front Page Magazine and can be seen and heard on talk shows and news events across the country. He hosts "The Buzz Cut," a weekly radio show for the RighTalk Radio Network streaming live and in replays at www.rightalk.com (http://www.rightalk.com/). His new book War Crimes: The Left's Campaign to Eliminate the Military and Lose the War on Terror debuts with Crown Forum in September of 2006.

As a career Air Force pilot seeing combat duty in far flung locales such as Grenada, Bosnia, the Persian Gulf, Somalia and Rwanda, and serving as military aide at the right hand of President Bill Clinton, he has impeccable military bona fides. As the Air Force Aide to Clinton, he carried the "Nuclear Football." He is the Chief Operating Officer for the Center for the Study of Popular Culture in Los Angeles, California.

This man was with Clinton on 2 occassions when they had a chance to get Ben Ladin and refused to give the order.

Secretariat
09-12-2006, 04:42 PM
Nielsen ratings in on Path to 911.

http://www.ibcnews.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=64184

Broadcasting & Cable) _ ABC's Path to 9/11 got a lot of pre-broadcast buzz for its controversial treatment of the Clinton administration, but it managed only a third-place finish for the night.

As expected, not a lot of viewer interest in a fantasy docudrama.

Tom
09-12-2006, 05:16 PM
Devastated? I didn't see it, but watched the Colts-Giants game. ( I must admit I was devastated about that as I was rooting for the Giants.) The second part I missed as well as I went grocery shopping.

I just don't like seeing the public airways used for political propaganda in the manner of Pravda.

I am curious though how many people did actually watch it. Will be interesting to see the Nielsen ratings on it.
and PA, I'm sure Clarke will take the money. Doesn't mean he didn't blast it as incorrect.

Please point out specific events in the movie that you consider propaganda.

And how does a movie put out by an independant TV network remotley compare to Pravda? If you recall, government people were trying to STOP the playing of this.

As for Clarke, if anything, he was portrayed - unrealistically IMHO - as the second most dedicated and intelligent guy in the whole movie, next to Harvey Kietel's character. And Clarke works for ABC...I suspect he continues to need attention and that is why he says things like that. If the movie is half accurrate, he has always be ignored and looked down upon by everyone. Might be a reason for that, eh?:D

No way in hell you can this a Bush promo - his adminstration was painted just as incompetant as Clinton's. Condy Rice came off like a moron puppet with no clue at all as to what was going on. I did see anything at all complimentary to he or his people.

I thought the movie was a great idea, to put the whole timeline into a compact focus - to put every mis-step in line in a short time period.

And the Primetime show following Part II was very eye-opening. The part about the fertilizers lobby controlling Congress like puppetmasters and blocking all attempts to control a donagerous explosive material. That broaad that was their spokesperson showed exactly the same ignorance that allowed 9-11 to happen in the first place. I think it would be fitting if a terrorist bomb made of that stuff werre to go ogg at thier office's fron door.

And the part about not providing the needed frequencies to allow improvments in communication amoung first responders being help so as not to incomvenience TV broadcasts!?!?! What the.........

I can not imagine how the cub reports have totally missed the boat on some of these very real dangers out ther.....5 Years Later!

The only part about the movie I did not like at all was the sub-titles over the shaky camera work. Very amaturish and hard to follow.

JustRalph
09-12-2006, 07:43 PM
[font=Arial]This man was with Clinton on 2 occassions when they had a chance to get Ben Ladin and refused to give the order.

In fact, I heard this guy in a radio interview, He said that Clinton refused to return Berger's call when Clinton was specifically told that they had OBL in their sights. Clinton was too busy watching a golf tournament.

Secretariat
09-12-2006, 11:25 PM
Tom,

I didn't see it. As Cheney said about the Vietnam War, "I had better things to do" than to watch a fantasy docudrama.

I'm basing my opinions on the fantasy from Richard Clarke's comments who was paid to consult for film, and whose comments on it I posted earlier. And also on the comments by Lee Hamilton who co-chaired the 911 Commission but was not asked to participate in advising on the fantasy.

Also based it on comments by Harvey Keitel who was in it.

This morning, an interview with Harvey Keitel (who stars in "The Path to 9/11") reveals the following:

Keitel: Yea, I had questions about events – material I was given in the Path to 9/11 that I did raise questions about. Yes, I had some conflicts there.

Q: How was that met?

Keitel: With discussion... ummm with argument. When I received the script it said ABC history project – I took it to be exactly what they presented to me. History – and that facts were correct. It turned out not all the facts were correct and ABC set about trying to heal that problem. In some instances it was too late because we had begun.

"I thought that the letter signed by Bruce Lindsey and Mr. Doug Band, I think it is, was accurate in their criticisms of ABC. That they portrayed Sandy Berger and Madeleine Albright doing things that they did not in fact do.

To fudge it causes me a great deal of concern and suggests to me that news and entertainment are getting dangerously intertwined. And I do not think that that is good for the country. Because an event of this consequence is very hard to understand, and to distort it or to not present it factually in this kind of presentation I think does not serve the country well." - Lee Hamilton

Apparently, American Airlines was upset as well:

Late Monday, American Airlines released the following statement: "The Disney/ABC television program, 'The Path to 9/11,' which began airing last night, is inaccurate and irresponsible in its portrayal of the airport check-in events that occurred on the morning of Sept. 11, 2001.

"A factual description of those events can be found in the official government edition of the 9/11 Commission Report and supporting documents.

"This misrepresentation of facts dishonors the memory of innocent American Airlines employees and all those who lost their lives as a result of the tragic events of 9/11."

American said it would have no further comment beyond the statement at this time. But earlier in the day, it had sent a letter to those who had contacted the company with the same complaint, inspired by liberal blogger John Aravosis of Americablog. He received a letter that read:

"I think it is important for you to know that ABC had factual errors in its dramatization, and we are looking at possible legal actions as a result. . . . Please know this was a tragic incident in our company's history and we hope you will be sympathetic to our employees and our airline on this day especially. Again, we are outraged by this situation, and we alerted ABC about its gross error. It is very unfortunate."

Frizzell signed the letter.

Frankly, according to Nielsen not too many people watched it either night, so it's kind of a non-event. Giants-Colts and Simpsons lineup outdrew it Sunday dramatically, and the Redskins-Vikings game Monday. Both games were good ones though.

Secretariat
09-12-2006, 11:51 PM
For those who did see it, was the information in thsi 1996 CNN article mentioned?

http://www.cnn.com/US/9607/30/clinton.terrorism/

President wants Senate to hurry with new anti-terrorism laws
July 30, 1996

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton urged Congress Tuesday to act swiftly in developing anti-terrorism legislation before its August recess.

"We need to keep this country together right now. We need to focus on this terrorism issue," Clinton said during a White House news conference.

But while the president pushed for quick legislation, Republican lawmakers hardened their stance against some of the proposed anti-terrorism measures.

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, doubted that the Senate would rush to action before they recess this weekend. The Senate needs to study all the options, he said, and trying to get it done in the next three days would be tough.

One key GOP senator was more critical, calling a proposed study of chemical markers in explosives "a phony issue."

...and later in the article --

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, emerged from the meeting and said, "These are very controversial provisions that the White House wants. Some they're not going to get."

Hatch called Clinton's proposed study of taggants -- chemical markers in explosives that could help track terrorists -- "a phony issue."

"If they want to, they can study the thing" already, Hatch asserted. He also said he had some problems with the president's proposals to expand wiretapping.

Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, D-South Dakota, said it is a mistake if Congress leaves town without addressing anti-terrorism legislation. Daschle is expected to hold a special meeting on the matter Wednesday with Congressional leaders. "

Was the GOP resistance (as reported in the CNN article) to any of the terrorism bills discussed in the film? Honestly, I do not know.

sq764
09-13-2006, 12:03 AM

I figured you would miss it, easier to keep denying the truth.. You and 46 must have had a slumber party..

sq764
09-13-2006, 12:07 AM
Nielsen ratings in on Path to 911.

http://www.ibcnews.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=64184

Broadcasting & Cable) _ ABC's Path to 9/11 got a lot of pre-broadcast buzz for its controversial treatment of the Clinton administration, but it managed only a third-place finish for the night.

As expected, not a lot of viewer interest in a fantasy docudrama.
The show got beat by:

1) A football game
2) Another football game

You didn't seriously anticipate anything other than that did you?

It's cute that you are trying to discount the realities of the 9/11 film, but please don't embarrass yourself by pointing out that football was the most watched 'show' on a Sunday. Even you can do better than that, skippy..

sq764
09-13-2006, 12:09 AM
For those who did see it, was the information in thsi 1996 CNN article mentioned?

http://www.cnn.com/US/9607/30/clinton.terrorism/

President wants Senate to hurry with new anti-terrorism laws
July 30, 1996

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- President Clinton urged Congress Tuesday to act swiftly in developing anti-terrorism legislation before its August recess.

"We need to keep this country together right now. We need to focus on this terrorism issue," Clinton said during a White House news conference.

But while the president pushed for quick legislation, Republican lawmakers hardened their stance against some of the proposed anti-terrorism measures.

Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, doubted that the Senate would rush to action before they recess this weekend. The Senate needs to study all the options, he said, and trying to get it done in the next three days would be tough.

One key GOP senator was more critical, calling a proposed study of chemical markers in explosives "a phony issue."

...and later in the article --

Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, emerged from the meeting and said, "These are very controversial provisions that the White House wants. Some they're not going to get."

Hatch called Clinton's proposed study of taggants -- chemical markers in explosives that could help track terrorists -- "a phony issue."

"If they want to, they can study the thing" already, Hatch asserted. He also said he had some problems with the president's proposals to expand wiretapping.

Senate Minority Leader Tom Daschle, D-South Dakota, said it is a mistake if Congress leaves town without addressing anti-terrorism legislation. Daschle is expected to hold a special meeting on the matter Wednesday with Congressional leaders. "

Was the GOP resistance (as reported in the CNN article) to any of the terrorism bills discussed in the film? Honestly, I do not know.
Hmm, what about a month before Clinton left office, when they admitted that Al Quaida was a big threat to the US and they were led onto possible terror attacks - why did they decide to shelve the plan to go after them?

What were Ms Berger and Mr Clinton thinking?

46zilzal
09-13-2006, 12:22 AM
Hmm, what about a month before Clinton left office, when they admitted that Al Quaida was a big threat to the US and they were led onto possible terror attacks - why did they decide to shelve the plan to go after them?

What were Ms Berger and Mr Clinton thinking?
always wondered just what it was that makes a relatively young person a reactionary. The Alex Keaton syndrome usually is in an older individual worried about losing all that they gained and becomes paranoid of those "different' than them, and of course all of it can be remedied by WAR.

46zilzal
09-13-2006, 12:25 AM
"I find it outrageous that the President is running for re-election on the grounds that he's done such great things about terrorism. He ignored it."
Richard Clarke

PaceAdvantage
09-13-2006, 01:45 AM
Wait, wait wait, these guys are commenting on a film they did not see???!!!?!??

Hey, these same guys lambasted us for doing the same with Fahrenheit 9/11!!!

How dare they....hypocrites, each and every one....

And they didn't even have to PAY to watch this movie...it was FREE.

(You all know, as well as I, that not only have they watched every single SECOND of this movie, they TIVO'd the damn thing so that they could take notes later.....so they are not only hypocrites, but most likely, liars as well)

PlanB
09-13-2006, 08:41 AM
I wonder how many who saw the film think that our fighter planes shot down
the civilian plane in PA? (Flight 93?) I never did, thinking the passengers
caused the downing, but now I'm not sure.

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2006, 01:19 PM
I wonder how many who saw the film think that our fighter planes shot down
the civilian plane in PA? (Flight 93?) I never did, thinking the passengers
caused the downing, but now I'm not sure.
_______
Then you did not hear any of the tapes.

sq764
09-13-2006, 06:28 PM
always wondered just what it was that makes a relatively young person a reactionary. The Alex Keaton syndrome usually is in an older individual worried about losing all that they gained and becomes paranoid of those "different' than them, and of course all of it can be remedied by WAR.
avoiding facts didn't do the dems any good and it's not working for you either bub

46zilzal
09-13-2006, 06:30 PM
avoiding facts didn't do the dems any good and it's not working for you either bub
thanks Alex

Tom
09-13-2006, 06:40 PM
PA, some parts of the gene pool are deeper than others, apparently.:lol:
Gotta give Sec the chutzpah award, thoutg, big bold letters alleging propogand on something he didn't watch. He relied on Harvy Kietel, that noted rhodes scholar. and Richard (nobody will play with me) Claked.
Hey Sec, Clarke one of the few consitent failures throughout the whole terror
filled years! :lol::lol::lol:

Secretariat
09-13-2006, 08:09 PM
PA, some parts of the gene pool are deeper than others, apparently.:lol:
Gotta give Sec the chutzpah award, thoutg, big bold letters alleging propogand on something he didn't watch. He relied on Harvy Kietel, that noted rhodes scholar. and Richard (nobody will play with me) Claked.
Hey Sec, Clarke one of the few consitent failures throughout the whole terror
filled years! :lol::lol::lol:

Clarke a failure? is that why he ran the situation room on 911 while Cheney ran to the bunker with Rice, and GW flew off?

I figured Harvey Keitel might know something sicne he was in it, and Clarke might know something since he was generally there, and paid by ABC for his expertise. Too bad they disregarded him, and never asked Lee Hamilton.

As I said, it didn't matter as Simpsons and King of the Hill out drew it - not just football. In fact the repeat of DeNiro narrating a REPEAT special on 911 from 5 years ago almost beat it on CBS.

As to propaganda, I trust Clarke's, and Hamilton's comments on the film more than Toms.

melman
09-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Michael Starr article in todays NY Post. Part 2 of ABC's The Path to 9/11 was TV's MOST watched program Monday night. "Path" Part 2 easily beat its competition which consisted mostly of repeats except for "Prison Break and Vanished."

Tom
09-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Clarke a failure? is that why he ran the situation room on 911 while Cheney ran to the bunker with Rice, and GW flew off?

I figured Harvey Keitel might know something sicne he was in it, and Clarke might know something since he was generally there, and paid by ABC for his expertise. Too bad they disregarded him, and never asked Lee Hamilton.

As I said, it didn't matter as Simpsons and King of the Hill out drew it - not just football. In fact the repeat of DeNiro narrating a REPEAT special on 911 from 5 years ago almost beat it on CBS.

As to propaganda, I trust Clarke's, and Hamilton's comments on the film more than Toms.

This sure got your undies in a knot. Harvy should know because he was in the movie?????? Yup, your standards fro credibility are, uh,

low.