PDA

View Full Version : thoughts on Aus / HK racing

beertapper
09-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Watching the Australian and HK races last night, it occurred to me (finally) that these races always seem to end in a mad dash to the wire, with alot of horses in contention. Contrast this with North American races where horses are more spread apart and one can see wire to wire wins. Is this mainly from training approaches?

46zilzal
09-10-2006, 06:07 PM
in a word STYLE. Gary Stevens went to Hong Kong and took the pace to them and won, just like Asmussen did in Europe. Difference is that the European jockey community LEARNED that the front end, BY YOURSELF, is the easiest place to win.

racingrev
09-10-2006, 06:08 PM
Watching the Australian and HK races last night, it occurred to me (finally) that these races always seem to end in a mad dash to the wire, with alot of horses in contention. Contrast this with North American races where horses are more spread apart and one can see wire to wire wins. Is this mainly from training approaches?

Australian and Hong Kong racing is very competitive, fields are large up to 18, so you do tend to get a few grandstand results.

Quite often though a jockey will dictate the pace in the lead making it a stop start race. Everyone else seems content to follow making it a mad sprint home over the final three furlongs.

Always prefer it when the pace is genuine myself...