PDA

View Full Version : Tigers going to blow it?

sq764
09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
3 games up with 20 to go.. You know they are getting nervous now and it wouldn't be a shock to see Minn and Chicago to get past them.

What an amazing collapse.

PaceAdvantage
09-10-2006, 02:00 AM
Didn't someone on here predict a choke....was that you? If so, good call...

michiken
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Even if the Tigers choke, the season is still a success:

- We have not had a baseball contender here for 15 years or more!

- We were the worst team in the league 2 years ago with a record setting 120 plus losses.

- People are even talking about us in the same breath as the Yankee Nation!

- Our radio stations are actually referring to the Tigers as something other than the 'Toledo Mudhen AAA Affiliate'.

- Yes this is a flash in the pan year so we are eating it up as much as we can.

Go Tigers Go!

sq764
09-10-2006, 11:22 AM
Didn't someone on here predict a choke....was that you? If so, good call...
Yankees are still getting in and Sox out so that trumps any happiness for me, good prediction or not ;)

GameTheory
09-10-2006, 11:42 AM
Even if the Tigers choke, the season is still a success:

- We have not had a baseball contender here for 15 years or more!

- We were the worst team in the league 2 years ago with a record setting 120 plus losses.

- People are even talking about us in the same breath as the Yankee Nation!

- Our radio stations are actually referring to the Tigers as something other than the 'Toledo Mudhen AAA Affiliate'.

- Yes this is a flash in the pan year so we are eating it up as much as we can.

Go Tigers Go!Agreed, but considering what happened to the Wings & the Pistons last year after their amazing seasons, if the Tigers really blow it, Detroit will have to add "choke city" to its already long list of negative perceptions...

sq764
09-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Agreed, but considering what happened to the Wings & the Pistons last year after their amazing seasons, if the Tigers really blow it, Detroit will have to add "choke city" to its already long list of negative perceptions...
I agree, I don't think you can have that huge of a lead and blow it and not be totally disappointed.

GameTheory
09-10-2006, 01:25 PM
One thing is for sure. If the Tigers are sitting around telling themselves, "No matter what we do now, our season was a success." then they are sunk for sure. They need to be thinking, "We've got nothing to lose, let's stay aggressive and go kick some ass!"

sq764
09-10-2006, 04:37 PM
One thing is for sure. If the Tigers are sitting around telling themselves, "No matter what we do now, our season was a success." then they are sunk for sure. They need to be thinking, "We've got nothing to lose, let's stay aggressive and go kick some ass!"
Well considering the 12-0 lambasting they are getting today, they better wake up soon.. 2 game lead after today

OTM Al
09-11-2006, 09:09 AM
And as i thought may well happen, the Yanks have now taken over for the best record in the AL

Valuist
09-11-2006, 09:43 AM
Remember last year the White Sox appeared to be in a free-fall in September as the Indians were closing in on them very quickly. They turned it around in the final week of the season, righted the ship and went on a great run. I also think the Tigers pitchers may have been going thru a "dead arm" period. I don't think they're dead yet.

Wiley
09-11-2006, 10:31 AM
The big problem has been hitting and scoring runs - averaged fewest runs per game in the AL over the last month. Hopefully Polanco comes back this week, he has been practicing of late, he was/is their best hitter with runners in scoring position. Rogers and Verlander are still pitching good and they've got a shot with the schedule favoring them and if Leyland can light a fire under some hitters though the rumblings of choke have started in the local paper today.

sq764
09-12-2006, 01:01 AM
After tonight, Minnesota back by 2, White Sox back by 3.. 19 games left

My prediction: Still White Sox win Central, Detroit gets WC

Valuist
09-12-2006, 12:30 PM
Minnesota will be in the playoffs. Not sure if it will be as divisional champ or WC but they definitely are hungrier than the Sox.

sq764
09-12-2006, 03:06 PM
Minnesota will be in the playoffs. Not sure if it will be as divisional champ or WC but they definitely are hungrier than the Sox.
I think the Sox will win the division.. Just think they are loaded.. Should go on a tear.

Could come down to the last series of the year - a 3 gamer Sox/Twins..

OTM Al
09-12-2006, 04:13 PM
There is only one sure thing in that division. Cleveland and KC ain't winning it. But they still may have a say before all is said and done.

Valuist
09-12-2006, 04:32 PM
I think the Sox will win the division.. Just think they are loaded.. Should go on a tear.

Their lineup is definitely loaded. The pitching just hasn't been as sharp. They still could win it, esp. if Detroit keeps struggling.

Wiley
09-12-2006, 04:46 PM

Ken,
Give them a little credit in '03 remember they won 5 of the last 6 like they were contending for the title, one a come from behind win down by 8 runs in the later innings, to deny themselves the title of alltime losingest team for a season - the '62 Mets at 120 losses still hold the record, the Tigers lost 119 in '03.

ghostyapper
09-12-2006, 04:59 PM

You still didn't jump off that sinking ship yet? I got news for ya. The white sox tear that you have been talking about for months is not coming. The twins are a better team and with liriano coming back they are a much better team.

sq764
09-12-2006, 08:47 PM
You still didn't jump off that sinking ship yet? I got news for ya. The white sox tear that you have been talking about for months is not coming. The twins are a better team and with liriano coming back they are a much better team.
Sorry I disagree.. Pitching can take you so far, you have to be able to put runs up. White Sox turned it on this time last year, I expect the same..

Twins are a nice team, just will likely come up a little short.

slotterhaus
09-12-2006, 09:07 PM
The effect of Liriano's return is unknown. He is a pure thrower who has always fallen back on his slider whenever he needed a big out. Over reliance on this pitch has caused arm trouble throughout his career. He must transition into a pitcher who can set up his slider and change with control of his fastball, something he's never done. Santana is a master in this regard. Francisco can get lit up like anybody else when he's behind and the new version that debuts this week will be on a strict slider pitch count. Dominance is far from certain.

That said, the Twins have closed stoutly on the Tigers without FL and while enduring Mauer's first prolonged slump. Their only weakness is a relative lack of power througout the lineup. They make up for it with a deep, versatile bullpen, excellent team speed and solid defense. They've played virtual .700 ball for 3 months.

Up here in Norseland we are looking at 3 races: the wild card, the division and overall best record. Thank you, Michael Young.

Steve 'StatMan'
09-12-2006, 09:54 PM
If the Tigers keep slipping, both the Twins and White Sox will pass them, and take the Division and Wild Card spots.

sq764
09-13-2006, 06:21 PM
The effect of Liriano's return is unknown. He is a pure thrower who has always fallen back on his slider whenever he needed a big out. Over reliance on this pitch has caused arm trouble throughout his career. He must transition into a pitcher who can set up his slider and change with control of his fastball, something he's never done. Santana is a master in this regard. Francisco can get lit up like anybody else when he's behind and the new version that debuts this week will be on a strict slider pitch count. Dominance is far from certain.

That said, the Twins have closed stoutly on the Tigers without FL and while enduring Mauer's first prolonged slump. Their only weakness is a relative lack of power througout the lineup. They make up for it with a deep, versatile bullpen, excellent team speed and solid defense. They've played virtual .700 ball for 3 months.

Up here in Norseland we are looking at 3 races: the wild card, the division and overall best record. Thank you, Michael Young.
well, no effect afterall... done for the year

rgustafson
09-22-2006, 07:45 AM

I'm afraid that the only tear associated with the Sox in the nine games they have played since your post(2-7), is the sound of the opposition ripping them a new ***hole.

sq764
09-22-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm afraid that the only tear associated with the Sox in the nine games they have played since your post(2-7), is the sound of the opposition ripping them a new ***hole.
Yeah, they haven't been playing very well of late. Bad time to do so.

ghostyapper
09-23-2006, 10:43 PM
Yeah, they haven't been playing very well of late. Bad time to do so.

By late do you mean the last 3 months?

sq764
09-24-2006, 01:50 AM
By late do you mean the last 3 months?
yes.. that is what I meant.