PDA

View Full Version : Electrocutionist dies of heart attack

RobinFromIreland
09-09-2006, 08:07 AM
A real shame as I thought he had a truly excellent chance of winning the BC Classic. Very sad to see a top-class colt suffer such a premature end.

Perhaps arrangements for Discreet Cat may be more fluid now.

Cesario!
09-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Very sad news. This has been a real tough summer in this department.

Seth

bigmack
09-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Very sad news. This has been a real tough summer in this department.

Seth
Hey Seth, was that you on Millionaire?

If so, what did you end up carting off?

Cesario!
09-09-2006, 04:29 PM
Hey Seth, was that you on Millionaire?

If so, what did you end up carting off?

That was me. :) It originally taped last December and aired last February. I walked away with 50K -- not guessing on a question involving the identity of the tribe of Hiawatha in Wordworths' poem.

The whole thing was great. Playing the horses, you have to have the mindset that you need to risk money to win money. But, when I was on the show, it felt like one of those final legs of a Pick 4 where you've covered every horse, and it's just a question of how much you're going to win. That's a great feeling.

bigmack
09-09-2006, 04:41 PM
I walked away with 50K -- not guessing on a question involving the identity of the tribe of Hiawatha in Wordworths' poem.

it's just a question of how much you're going to win. That's a great feeling.
Nice work. Have you read it out of spite? http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/77/41/e0/ef/2000806127.JPG

I try and wiggle my way into presuming victory on P4's. It keeps me grounded as they're oftentimes torn in the end.

Cesario!
09-09-2006, 04:56 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I try to forget that it exists -- even, I guess, ascribing it to Wordsworth erronously. At least it wasn't something that I was supposed to read (and didn't) in high school or college. That would have been justice. :)

Seth

bigmack
09-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Seth - Spent a bit time "tween" races to gander at your chronicles - Nice flair.
As I'm out of the loop on blogs, what's your eventual goal?

Cesario!
09-09-2006, 09:53 PM
Seth - Spent a bit time "tween" races to gander at your chronicles - Nice flair.
As I'm out of the loop on blogs, what's your eventual goal?

Glad you enjoyed it. My eventual goal is to be able to do this (writing/thinking about horseracing and handicapping) for a living -- whether at a track, a racing/industry publication, or, even a TV network. I think being a TVG host -- along with a printed column somewhere -- is pretty much my dream job.

So far, the blog has been a great way for me to publish my stuff. Hopefully, I'll also be adding some "podcasts" in the near future -- just need to get the microphone and stuff set up again after the move.

Seth

the little guy
09-10-2006, 01:16 AM
Sorry to get back to the original topic but I for one find these sudden deaths just a little unsettling. It always bothers me when a horse gets REALLY good very quickly and then suddenly dies.

Tee
09-10-2006, 02:34 AM
Are echocardiograms done on thoroughbreds before being sold?

Stevie Belmont
09-10-2006, 10:19 AM
We are in a string of bad luck here for sure. Unreal.

cj
09-10-2006, 10:29 AM
I'm not so sure it is bad luck when a horse drops dead of heart failure at a young age. We'll never know.

the little guy
09-10-2006, 12:11 PM
I'm not so sure it is bad luck when a horse drops dead of heart failure at a young age. We'll never know.

It depends what one considers bad luck. Some people might consider dying of a heroin overdose bad luck.

I'm just waiting for the first person in the industry with the guts to wonder about this particular sudden death.

bigmack
09-10-2006, 02:00 PM
II'm just waiting for the first person in the industry with the guts to wonder about this particular sudden death.
What would be the chain of events that takes place in the speculation that "something's afoot" with E's death?
I too, thought it was peculiar. How does one have the guts to start pointing a finger?

the little guy
09-10-2006, 02:17 PM
It's not a question of pointing a finger, and certainly there is no proof, but it hardly seems irresponsible for somebody to wonder if perhaps something is amiss.

Let's face it, we live in a time where undetectable illegal medication is rampant in this game. Shouldn't we all be at least a little suspicious when horses, especially horses that showed dramatic improvement for new connections, die suddenly? Certainly this has happened before, and probably more often than not no foul play is involved, but it seems the industry is less than responsible in investigating these situations. I will never understand how little was done when the three Pletcher horses ( Freedom's Daughter, Warners and Left Bank ) all died suddenly, within days of each other, each after delivering sensational performances, a few years ago at Saratoga. Were they sadly a spectacular coincidence? Perhaps, but it hardly seems the situation was thoroughly investigated. Sadly the racing industry seems too scared to uncover the possible truth.

I will admit that I am suspicious of everybody. I always view the results on Dubai World Cup day with more than a thread of skepticism. The disqualification of Brass Hat only furthered my suspicions. Perhaps I am wrong but it does seem that the Godolphin runners have a history of strong performances on that day. Certainly many are good horses, and they are pointed for that day, but forgive me if I am skeptical that their horses are scrutinized in the same way as everyone else's.

I am not accusing anybody of anything but merely trying to point out that in today's world of racing I wish these ( all too frequent ) sudden deaths were more publicly scrutinized. Is that really too much to ask?

Bubbles
09-10-2006, 02:35 PM
TLG, you may have a point with the Dubai references. A bunch of horses won there with a lot of fanfare and didn't run for a while afterwards, or ever, for that matter. See Dubai Millenium, Street Cry, Discreet Cat, etc. Say what you will about the "Dubai effect" with traveling horses, but one can't help but be skeptical.

bigmack
09-10-2006, 02:42 PM
The most egregious example of questionable death(s) was the Pletcher hat-trick. I trust you’re acutely aware of the standards and practices of the NYRA and will concur that they were negligent in their follow-up with three questionable deaths from the same stable.

We’re in agreement about the possible larcenist shenanigans that surround the Dubai, albeit Brass Hat being DQ’d was to me sign for the better that they actually were willing to publicly release the findings of the urine test.

In any event, the deaths certainly cause one to wonder about as they occur with animals that appear more than healthy. Is it an ailment that was undiagnosed as in Reggie Lewis or are they so hopped-up that their hearts just can’t take the dosage?

Arguably, it’s a “rock & a hard place” in terms of approaching the connections and asking for an investigation.

the little guy
09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
I do NOT concur that NYRA should in any way be singled out for " negligance " in the case involving the Pletcher horses. What about their respective owners? What about the Jockey Club? Don't twist my comments into some sort of personal problems you may have with NYRA. I blame the industry as a whole in this overall issue and applaud NYRA for at least trying to do something about this issue by implementing the detention barns. You have no ally here in your issues with NYRA.

Tom
09-10-2006, 04:05 PM
I agree with TLG....very suspicious, and what the hell is the role of NTRA and Jockey Club to look into stuff like this?
Money draws too things - interest and thieves.

In this game, I prefere to suspect everyone and let thier innocence be proven later on. Far too much hide the salami goes on at tracks to turn a blind eye.

This is like a bank teller showing up in new suits everyday and driving a new Jag...then seeing your totals are off, and not being suspicious. You don't arrest the guy on the spot, but you sure do sit him down for a heart to heart and then start watching him like a string bikini at the beach.

bigmack
09-10-2006, 04:19 PM
I do NOT concur that NYRA should in any way be singled out for " negligance " in the case involving the Pletcher horses.
I have no beef with the NYRA, in fact, it's the first time I've ever typed the acronym. I'm sure it's a wonderful organization. The flagrent example pointed out yourself leaves one to wonder who should have stepped forward in that situation and had the "guts" to do some further inquiry?

bigmack
09-10-2006, 05:06 PM
I don’t like cheats. In fact, I really don’t like cheats. However, in this game they’re all over the place. In my view, anyone who has anything to do with the rules and regulations when it comes to doping has been, and is now, negligent. The rule should be and should have been in place for quite some time now; one infraction and you’re out for life!

In your previous post you refer to a nebulous person in the industry with the guts to wonder about this sudden death. Here we are, it’s all of us out here saying, “when are you going to have some teeth behind this situation”. Anyone who knows anything about the game is suspicious when these things happen. The problem is that it’s systemic.

Take the veil off the vague person who should step forward and make that person the industry at whole. Make testing more comprehensive and when results are positive, results for the trainer are seriously negative. Illegal medication is indeed detectable and those tests need to in place.

In any event, it’s mere conjecture that Electrocutionist died as a result of meds. The problem needs to be addressed each and every day at every track, not by someone with “guts” coming forward after yet another horse has dropped

otravez
09-12-2006, 01:29 PM
Ciao Campione, č stato bello.