PDA

View Full Version : How can we do this to our troops?

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2006, 07:17 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/14686871

Army shuns system to combat RPGs
Experts agree it might help save lives, so why isn’t it in the field?

Secretariat
09-07-2006, 08:37 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/ID/14686871

Army shuns system to combat RPGs
Experts agree it might help save lives, so why isn’t it in the field?

Good post Dave. I saw the expose on this on the news. This is what Eisenhower called the military-industrail-congressional complex. Over 25% of the people voting on it were from Raytheon, and the amazing thing is Raytheon didn't even have a system for the original test. Their performance was worse than Trophy, yet they won the contract. It's been this way for awhile as Eisenhower well knew. Only thing was - he knew how to say NO. this congress and administration has not. Sad day.

Tom
09-07-2006, 09:51 PM
Dave, if only that buch of digusting, morons who call themselves reporters would focus on things like things instead of the stupid, and I mean STUPID crap they do, things like this would get the light of day they need.
Are you Listening, David Greggory? Wolf, baby?
Start grilling that lying SOS Tony Snowjob about real issues. And keep it up.

I still maintain if you want to get real action taken in Iraq, but that little weasel Rummsfeld there - in Baghdad - unitl it is over. He should be the LAST man to come home. Let him ride to work everyday over those same streets. In unprotected vehicles.

To answer your question Dave, because providng this armor will not impact the mid-term elections, which is the ONLY thing on Bush's agenda. Protecting our soldiers in not considered staying the course, I guess.

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Tom,

To answer your question Dave, because providng this armor will not impact the mid-term elections, which is the ONLY thing on Bush's agenda.

While I cannot disagree with your sentiment, I do not believe it is restricted to the Repubs. I believe it wouls be the same thing if the Dems were in control.

It is just too easy to see it as a trade-off in terms of dollars versus lives... kind of like Ford Motor Company did with the exploding Pinto years ago.

You know, I recall how concerned I was that I might be drafted when I was 18. A year later I enlisted truly, to "serve my country." That was what you did back then. I find it amazing that the United States has so often neglected its veterans, especially those who really deserve it.

I don't mean me... I didn't leave any body parts (or emotional parts to speak of) in southeast Asia... but plenty of my bretheren did. They have never gotten what they deserved.

But this is worse: to allow a soldier to be more exposed to harm than he needs to be because of money is... should be... criminal.

(Okay, I'll get off the soapbox now. I just could not bring myself to hit the delete key, however.)

Dave

kenwoodallpromos
09-07-2006, 10:15 PM
If this was the 1950's 0r 60's there would be many more voters who served; I believe the low % of veterans keeps the current military members from getting as much backing as they would otherwise. I know very few peoplw under 50 who were in the military and these issues are not thought about much by the general population.
Horses yes; our soldiers, not as much.

Tom
09-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Dave, I agree - the dems are doing the exact same thing from thier usual postion of losers.;)
You are seeing the same thing on this board - as the election get closers, it is like a full moon. Nobody is concerned with anything else.

betchatoo
09-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the link Dave. If this is accurate it is deplorable. And, you're right, it is bi-partisan. With very few exceptions politicians, businessmen, unions and military bigwigs are only interested in 2 things, money and power. If the cost of gaining this is the lives of others, so be it.