PDA

View Full Version : Now wait just one minute NYCOTB

fouroneone
09-07-2006, 07:13 PM
I spend a day once in a while in urine smelling otb's with addicts, the homeless and panhandlers. Getting yelled at and almost spit on by the tellers who are super unfriendly......yet they make 20$ an hour plus.....

and 241st street in Wakefield(a neighborhood in the bronx), which is pretty much the suburbs (One block within city limits) gets this.........

http://nycotb.com/viewPage.cfm?pageId=377

and why if they are soooooooo broke are they building new teletheaters?

i hope bloomy sells this franchise asap :bang:

samyn on the green
09-08-2006, 02:40 AM
If you patronize an NYCOTB you deserve everything you get. I blame NYCOTB for ruining the reputation of horseplayers in New York.

The worst part about these places are the patrons. Make no mistake this is a group of lowlives that gather in OTB's. Many are homeless, most do not work and a large percentage of them are stooping by the mid-day double. The tellers are behind bulletproof glass for more than just the robbery reasons. For every ripped ticket and there are stacks of ripped tickets after every race, is a jockey stiff, a trainer stiff or a stiff by racetrack management. Everyone hates the game because it is so crooked, they hate jockeys and hate trainers yet the same people show up everyday, day after day until they die or get locked up. Disgusting attitudes, yield negitive results over and over again.

Then there is the takeout. 6% on top of track takeout!!!! How can anybody be so stupid to play at a place like this? You have to be one of the three D's to play at this joint. Dumb, degenerate or deperate. Every player gets ripped off as soon as they step up to the windows yet they continue to get ripped off when they have options.

The workers I do not blame for being nasty, walk a mile in their shoes. Can you imagine the gloom of showing up to work every day to deal with vile, nasty, uneducated, degenarate patrons of OTB? Do you realize how much abuse they take? $20 hour is OK but this is a hard job when you get behind that bulletproff glass and have to deal with one degenerate after another. These unfortunate tellers have to deal with patrons who start the handicapping process as they reach the head of the line, contructing on the fly trifectas at 0 MTP, enraging the rest of the line, which only reselts in more nasty abuse. Then they lose and come back and yell at hte tellers or try to scam them. These tellers deal with one verbal outburst after another all day. It is not an easy job and the tough exteriors they display is a defense mechanism to deflect much of the abuse.

Then there is the corruption and organized crime that OTB finances within the city government. Dozens and dozens of six figure managment jobs for govenment no show patronage jobs. Every contract doled out is done so via a kickback. OTB patrons are financing government corruption and taking money away from the horseman. Better to bet directly with NYRA if you are in the NYC area, you are better off betting with a book at least you might be helping out a family. One notorious case is that of Hazel Dukes. She was a NAACP big cheese and when the black mayor Dinkins was elected he appointed Dukes as the OTB head. Dukes knew nil about the game, but she knew politics and she knew how to steal. Politics and stealing is what OTB does best. She appointed every friend, cousin and friend of a cousin to a management position. Fired many of the white staff and replaced them with patronage friends. She ended up facing trial for racial discrimination and was convicted of embezzling $13,000.

If you are playing horses in New York get a NYRA account or something else. Don't be a dope and patronize OTB.

Zman179
09-08-2006, 09:48 PM
The new Wakefield teletheater replaced the branch that was located at 241st Street and White Plains Road. The teletheater is in a dreadful neighborhood and attracts a lot of unemployed scum, believe me, they're broke wayyyyy before the mid-day double. One teller there told me that the Wakefield teletheater was the brokest branch she ever saw (patrons begging for deuces and sometimes paying for their bets in nothing but loose change.)

As far as Samyn's argument, his points are valid; but, he fails to note the main thing that NYCOTB has going for it over NYRA: convenience. Not everybody can do the 45 minute subway ride on the A train from Midtown Manhattan to Aqueduct Racetrack, but they can make it a few blocks during lunchtime to the OTB branch.

The only time I bet with OTB is when my BrisBet account is at zero, and believe me, it hurts to do so. Nothing like either dealing with the rude tellers or lining up at a SAM machine, with some degenerate hogging the machine while handicapping the race and taking a few minutes to find the horses for a $1 exacta part wheel. Personally, I would love to see NYCOTB become bankrupt. It really is a smelly armpit. :ThmbDown:

highnote
09-13-2006, 02:57 AM
and why if they are soooooooo broke are they building new teletheaters?

They probably aren't going broke. It's typical for sports franchises to cry poverty. All the while they are raking it in.

I've written this several times already, but if you get a chance read the book "Net Worth". It's about how the original owners of NHL franchises took advantage of their players for over 70 years by crying poverty while they made millions through creative accounting. If they players asked for a raise - the owners called them greedy and said they would destroy the game because fans would think that a high paid player is not playing for the good of the game. :lol:

Of course, it was OK for the owner to be greedy.

It's all about the benjamins. It's no different with the racetracks. Why the big squabble with NYRA? --- MONEY. Who gets it, who doles it out, what can be bought with it, who can be bought with it, etc., etc., etc.

I sure have become pessimistic. Sorry. :(