PDA

View Full Version : My Tech Support Nightmare With Electronic Arts

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2006, 01:22 AM
The following is a current interchange between me and Electronic Arts tech support. This is so ridiculous as to be funny.

In a nutshell, it begins with me telling them that the NFL Head Coach product will not install because it says my key code had already been used.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

Customer 09/04/2006 11:48 AM
I installed NFL headcoach on my PC. I have a wide-monitor and the game will not run properly.

I then tried to install it on my laptop but the keycode has been used.

What now?

I assumed that they would simply issue me a new keycode and move on.

Response (EA Tech Anthony C) 09/05/2006 12:09 AM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support. I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with NFL Head Coach. Unfortunately, the game does not support widescreen resolution therefore we cannot guarantee that the game will run properly.

Please make sure that you have closed any programs or tasks running in the background as sometimes one of the programs can conflict with the game. Background applications such as anti-virus programs are often the cause of conflicts.

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/eatech.cfg/php/enduser/cci/background_tasks.php

And if you already registered the game before, there's no need to register the game again. Just skip that procedure and continue with the game's installation as you normally would. If you have other questions or concerns, I will do my best to address them

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)

Anthony C.
EA Games Technical Support

So, he has told me that I did not need to register my product; that all will be well since I already registered.

Customer 09/05/2006 08:42 AM
Did you bother to read my question?

I said that I had a second computer and that it would not install on that computer because it rejected my keycode as already used.

Response (EA Tech Anthony C) 09/05/2006 07:35 PM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support. I'm sorry to hear that you're still having troubles with the game. You mentioned that it gives you an invalid cd key error when trying to install the game on your laptop. Can you please provide us the exact error message in order for us to properly identify the issue? Any addtional information would be much appreciated.

Meantime, please try cleaning out your Temporary directory. Do not delete the folder itself, open the folder, select all of the contents, and then delete them. Often you will get an error that some of these files can't be deleted. This is usually because they are currently in use, so first let's end any program that would be using these temporary files.

· Hold down the Ctrl, Alt, and Delete keys at the same time
· Click the "Processes" tab.
· Click on the gray bar in the middle column that says User Name to sort by user name.
· Do NOT select anything for SYSTEM, LOCAL SERVICE, or NETWORK SERVICE.
· Click on anything besides EXPLORER and TASKMGR for this User Name or other user names.
· Click on END PROCESS
· Repeat these steps until only explorer.exe and taskmgr.exe are open for this user profile.

Note that some applications may take multiple times before closing. Don't worry that you are permanently changing your system configuration; these applications will return when you restart your system. Once this step has been completed, please proceed to the steps below.

· Double click on "My Computer"
· Double click on the C: drive
· Double click on the "Windows" folder.
· Double click on the "Temp" folder.
· Hold the "CTRL" key and tap the "A" key to select all.
· Tap the "Delete" key on your keyboard and accept the "

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)

Anthony C.

Now he wants to tell me how to reboot my computer and clean out my temporary directory.

Customer 09/05/2006 08:14 PM
Just read the damn email!

The message is that the keycode has already been used!

You may notice that frustration is setting in.

Response (EA Tech Anthony C) 09/06/2006 03:42 AM
Hi,

Thank you for contacting us here at Electronic Arts Technical Support. The error "The registration code you have entered is invalid or has already been used" may only occur during registration or when trying to play online. So in order for us to properly identify the issue, at what point in the game does the error occurs?

And I also want to verify if you have tried the troubleshooting steps that I have provided on the previous emails? And please send me this information from a program called dxdiag.exe. To do this:

· Go to Start -> Run.
· In the box, type the following: dxdiag
· Click "OK"
· Click the "Save All Information" button on the first screen of the application.
· Then on top of the "Save As" box that pops up, select Desktop (if it's not set to save there already), then click Save.
· Finally, attach the dxdiag.txt to your email reply.

After we receive this file we can continue troubleshooting the issues at hand and hopefully come to a solution.

Anthony C.

Idiots! They are idiots! :bang: :bang:

Customer 09/06/2006 07:15 AM
You are not addressing the issue. I want a telephone call from your supervisor.

I can be reached at 775.825.0260.

The issue is that the installation is rejecting the keycode!

Response (Jayson G.) 09/06/2006 08:19 PM
Hello,

Thanks for contacting EA Technical Support and for your interest with NFL Head Coach! I’m sorry for the difficulty that you are having with the game. Are you trying to register the game online when installing on your laptop?

May I remind you that each registration code can only be used to register one account for the game. If you've previously created an account using this code, you cannot use it to register a new account. If

If you have any other questions feel free to reply to this e-mail, and I will be very glad to help you out to the best of my ability.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com).

Thank you,
Jayson G.
EA Tech Support

He still thinks I am trying to register when I can't get the game installed!

Agggghhh! :bang:

Customer 09/06/2006 10:09 PM
This is a joke, right?

Nobody's tech support is this bad.

Are you people nuts?

The damn software won't install! The error is that the key code has already been used!

The truth is I simply returned it to the store for a new copy but I am interested in seeing how long this can go on. :lol: :lol:

Dave Schwartz
09-07-2006, 10:08 AM
Once again they have written back telling me that I can only register the software once!

Aggghhh!

Red Knave
09-07-2006, 02:36 PM
As a programmer, you have to appreciate the devilishly devious self referential nature of the error!

:faint: :rolleyes: ;) :mad:

njcurveball
09-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Dave,

You have me rolling! I would love to see the webcam with the guy in New Delhi cutting and pasting English in the replies.

This is the typical company where Management has outsourced their support. :bang:

At least I HOPE that is what is happening. I cannot imagine a support group THAT BAD!

Of course when I first got the Internet I had Earthlink and called to tell them I could not connect to the Internet. I was told the Internet was out in my area and if I had the problem in the future I could go to their website to check the status. :D Obviously a MENSA candidate was manning the phone.

Thanks for the laugh!

Jim

kenwoodallpromos
09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm still mad at them for getting rid of their online game "Bunny Luv"!

rrbauer
09-21-2006, 05:00 PM
Maybe this is why they are changing their name to Egads!