PDA

View Full Version : I think my jock won, but my horse came last

anotherdave
09-14-2002, 09:47 PM
Today was one of those days when the racing Gods were not shining. I survived ok, but it was frustrating.

In one race my horse gets out second, passes the front runner in the backstretch and looks comfortable coming home, then he starts slowing down, and the other horse he just passed starts to come back on. Still it looks like my horse is going to hold on, but just before the wire my horse takes a misstep and his jock flies off. I'm not sure, but I think the jock crossed the line first, followed by the other horse, followed by my horse. But because my horse finished 2nd with no jock he actually ends up last. (Can I bet a jockey to win instead of a horse?)

Thankfully, the report I heard from the announcer is that the jock is ok, but bruised. Scary profession. No matter how many years I play, I always need something to remind me the race is never over til its over. But the horse was the favourite, so it didn't really hurt too badly in the pocket.

Add that to my lame horse today - can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes to recover from lameness - it was a frustrating day.

So I threw a few picks on the selection board for tomorrow to get my confidence back. Hope it works.

AD

melman
09-15-2002, 10:34 AM
Thanks for posting that note AnotherD because that is as real as it gets. Yes bad beats are a part of the game and I am sure we each have our own story to go with it. No matter what style of play win bettor always getting second or exacta player having them run 1st and 3rd such streaks go with the game. It is how you REACT to them that makes ALL the differance in this. Keep records, use all your tools and do not "steam" or chance losing bets and you will get back on the winning side. It will happen. All the best Dave and again thanks for posting something right from the heart.

delayjf
09-20-2002, 12:06 PM
I once won a bet in the same manner you lost, My horse was second 4 length down at the 1/16 pole and not gaining any ground, when all of a sudden the horse fell flat on his stomach. Picture this, the horse is lying on his stomach with the Jockey still on his back, he never fell off and neither one was hurt. Along came my horse to pick up the prize.
Just so you know your not alone in the tough loss catagory. I recently lost 4 photos finishes in one day with the lowest odds of the 4 horses at 10-1. And I'm talking about 4 photos that you could not tell who won even after viewing the slow-mo replay, they were that close, in fact I was so sure I'd won one of them I would have lost the race if allowed to bet it AFTER the race had been run. What do you suppose the chances are of ever winning 4 photos like that in one day.

Rick
09-20-2002, 03:15 PM
AD,

I actually WON betting on a horse that the jockey came off of. It was in Northern California and the jockey was an apprentice named Nate Hubbard. After he came off he grabbed the horse's neck and hung on to it from the side until after they crossed the wire. The next day they had a picture of it in the newspaper with the caption "hang in there baby".