PDA

View Full Version : FREAK returns --- 2nd rate venue

the_fat_man
09-04-2006, 01:27 PM
The much awaited return of THE FREAK (aka Sinister Minister) happens today in the tres prestigious

Windy Sands Handicap (85K): 1 mile at Del Mar

A bit of a conservative route back by Mr Baffert but, then again, the present model of choice is the Dubai Model

cj
09-04-2006, 03:33 PM
That is a tough bunch of older horses. He will only get an easy lead if he is in top form.

the_fat_man
09-04-2006, 05:08 PM
You're the expert

but

If he can't spank this field

maybe they can set up a match race with Brother Derek:lol:

Now, that would be primetime entertainment

On another note, the live feed on the Cal racing site is incredibly clear.
The (immediate) replays are just a bit on the dark side, however.

Monmouth, and some others that offer live feeds, really need to take notice

and

New York needs to get on the ball: not only with respect to the internet but format (gate break immediately after the race, etc.)

(I realize that they have the OTB cable racing show)

Tom
09-04-2006, 06:06 PM
He ran like a MONTSER...died on the turn, came home a zombie! :lol:
He ran like a MONSTER...everyone else ran away from him! :lol:

cj
09-04-2006, 06:39 PM
If you drew a line through his Kee race, did he really look very imposing?

I generally draw a line through all Kee runaway wins. It is one place that polytrack has to be better.

Tom
09-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I hear ya, I never use a KEE line. And NO, he did not look imposing. REposing was more like it.

I just couldn't resist.....being on "iggy" and all.;):lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2006, 01:53 AM
I harken back to my thoughts about Sinister Minister pre-Derby:

First off, Sinister Minister has zero shot to hit the board, let alone win. If he finishes better than 9th, I'd be shocked. If ever there was a horse labeled a "contender" more unsuited to get 10f at Churchill Downs, I don't know who it might be. This guy has one of the worst late figs in the field, and there is no doubt he will be part of a hot pace. Total toss for me.

The simple fact is, Sinister Minister had NOTHING to offer late. His late numbers were ALL pathetic, except for his Keeneland race. But even there, his late number was BARELY marginal, if that.

He had absolutely NO SHOT of getting 10f, even IF he CONTROLLED a moderate pace, let alone the pace he would be facing in the Derby.

Tom
09-05-2006, 10:11 AM
He was definately "all in" in the second fraction. :rolleyes:

Valuist
09-05-2006, 10:23 AM
If you drew a line through his Kee race, did he really look very imposing?

I generally draw a line through all Kee runaway wins. It is one place that polytrack has to be better.

I agree with the part about drawing the line thru the Kee runaway wins, but definitely not on Kee being better w/Polytrack.

You could count on that rail bias, day in day out. It was a source of many great bets. Bushfire paying $33 might've been the overlay of the year.

the_fat_man
09-05-2006, 12:10 PM
I harken back to my thoughts about Sinister Minister pre-Derby:

Should we harken ack to your thoughts pre Belmont concerning Bob & John
(you and Hank Goldberg were all over him)

(and then maybe take a look at my rebuttal)

or maybe the intelligencias high regard for Achilles of Troy pre Gotham?

or the optical illusion run of Jazil in the Wood?
(but he did have one of the 3 highest figures in the Belmont)

no?

relax boys

P.S. not saying he didn't run poorly but
can
anyone direct me to the last time a speed horse that broke poorly and was rushed to the lead actually won a race? does that happen?

OTM Al
09-05-2006, 12:54 PM
Smarty Jones in, I believe the Count Fleet at Aqueduct. He nearly fell on his face coming out of the gate and then went zooming on by. He was class by far though and that is exactly what it takes to win like that. Unless you're about 10 lengths better to start with, the horse will never be able to sustain a rush up.

the_fat_man
09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Smarty Jones in, I believe the Count Fleet at Aqueduct. He nearly fell on his face coming out of the gate and then went zooming on by. He was class by far though and that is exactly what it takes to win like that. Unless you're about 10 lengths better to start with, the horse will never be able to sustain a rush up.

Not quite what I'm looking for Al:

SJ does stumble at the gate but moves, in hand, to a stalking position, and sits a nice trip

OTM Al
09-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Yeah, he just kinda moved right along on his own and sure looked good doing it....I know what you mean though, and that's about as close to it as I can come up with.

Often has been the time when my nice longshot does a header in the gate and next thing I know the jock is running him right up to the front. Takes all my strength to wait until the dismal loss is official to tear up my tickets...

cj
09-05-2006, 02:31 PM
Bushfire paying $33 might've been the overlay of the year.

Agree she was an overlay, but she was also my top figure horse going into the Ashland, and has run several good ones since.

PaceAdvantage
09-05-2006, 05:31 PM
Should we harken ack to your thoughts pre Belmont concerning Bob & John
(you and Hank Goldberg were all over him)

I had to pick someone in that race, didn't I?

toetoe
09-09-2006, 03:06 AM
He was a monster --- the villagers came and got him.

A blind monster --- he ran until he hit the wall.

An incorrigible monster --- he wasn't persevered with.

A monster that steered clear of the rectory --- he wasn't abused.

RXB
09-09-2006, 11:23 AM
I hear ya, I never use a KEE line. And NO, he did not look imposing. REposing was more like it.

I just couldn't resist.....being on "iggy" and all.;):lol:

I'm on "iggy" too. Thank God. :jump:

Always doubt a single huge race; doubt it doubly if it occurred on the Kee dirt (RIP).