PDA

View Full Version : Can you be a lib and not a hippocrit at the same time?

Tom
09-02-2006, 10:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIT3jUrNTX0

How is this different than what Trent Lott said that got him ousted?
Where is Al Gore on this one? He wanted Lott censured, but this is OK?

And where are our cub reporters, usually ready to provide us with valuable information?

Show Me the Wire
09-02-2006, 11:02 PM
Tom:

He was taken out of context. :lol: :lol: :lol:

After all the Bank of India bankrolls all the Dunkin Donuts, and I am not joking. Hope nobody takes me out of context like they did with Biden. :bang: :bang:

kenwoodallpromos
09-03-2006, 02:27 AM
Just too much PC BS!
"Let's not call terrorists Fasciasts so they won't get mad at us"; "Iran wants to destroy us but we still have to pronounce Iran correctly".
The PC speech police are the phoniest of all, regardless of who they are.

falconridge
09-03-2006, 04:06 PM
Big difference, Tom—not so much in kind (although that also applies) as in degree. There’s no debating that what Biden said was dumb—yet another example of poseur-politicians’ ham-handed efforts to ingratiate themselves with that part of the electorate with which they find themselves “pressing the flesh.” (That’s a new one! :rolleyes: ) But Lott’s remarks were, for several reasons, even more idiotic—much more, and more reprehensible, too--than Biden’s. Biden’s patronizing comments, thoughtless and bumbling as they may have been, were offhand; Lott’s praise of Strom Thurmond’s 1948 Dixiecrat Party platform came in a prepared speech—presumably one he had time to review (even if he didn’t write it), and to the text of which he could have applied the blue-pencil.

I’m willing to place a charitable construction on Lott’s actions: he was probably going for nothing more than the standard saccharine panegyric for his centenarian colleague, who, for all I know (I don’t), might well have done some good in his 48 years in the U.S. Senate. But if that was Lott’s innocent intention, surely he could have found something more laudable in Thurmond’s biography than the presidential campaign in which the candidate vowed that "all the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches." Playing, as Biden did, on a Simpsons-style stereotype (by the way, Apu Nahasapeemapetilon was always one of my favorite characters from that show) is a far cry from applauding sentiments like “let’s keep the darky in his place—yankee law be damned!”—or words to that effect. Yet Lott did just that when he blurted: “When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either." To his credit, Lott apologized for his remarks shortly after making them—though his explanation that “a poor choice of words conveyed to some the impression that I embraced the discarded policies of the past” hardly absolves him of blame for being at least monumentally stupid, if not worse.

I’m also puzzled by the title you’ve chosen for this thread. Even on this board, I’ve noted several members who, regardless of which part of the political spectrum they occupy, would allow that some members of the opposition, though “wrong” (i.e., “their” views are at loggerheads with “ours”) are people of good will, and no less sincere for their being “wrongheaded.” I’m not sure what the Biden byte demonstrates other than that Democrats can be just as stupid, just as shallow, just as dissembling, just as transparently self-serving as Republicans—or, for that matter, as Independents, Greens, Reds, Libertarians, or Authoritarians. We’re surrounded by scoundrels of every political stripe—always have been (some revelation!). As Will Rogers remarked, “Thank God we don’t get all the government we pay for.”

To answer your question “Where are our cub reporters … ?”: clearly, right there on the scene. Biden’s been caught—if not by reporters, then by whom? The video is out there on youtube, where you, I, and millions of others can watch it ‘til we laugh ourselves sick—or become ill for other reasons.

As for bipartisan support of censure in the House (or, at least, Democrats’ for fellow party members), let’s not forget that several crossed party lines following the Senate Ethics Committee’s investigation of the Keating Five. While that number was eventually whittled down to a Most Blameworthy One—Democrat Alan Cranston of California—colleagues from both parties came together in at least “chiding” everyone in the original quintet, which included, besides Cranston, Senators Dennis DeConcini, John Glenn, John McCain, and Donald Riegle. (McCain was eventually exonerated; Glenn was determined to have “exercised poor judgment” but “violated no law of the United States or specific rule of the United States Senate”; ditto DeConcini; of Riegle, the committee concluded that “the totality of the evidence shows that Senator Riegle's conduct gave the appearance of being improper and was certainly attended with insensitivity and poor judgment. However, the committee finds that his conduct did not reach a level requiring institutional action.”) And so it goes. …

ljb
09-03-2006, 04:58 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIT3jUrNTX0

How is this different than what Trent Lott said that got him ousted?
Where is Al Gore on this one? He wanted Lott censured, but this is OK?

And where are our cub reporters, usually ready to provide us with valuable information?
Tom,
Thank you so much for the report. I hereby pronounce you Official Junior Cub Reporter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom
09-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Falcon, your diving too deep - it's a shallow pool!

My point was that whenever a conservative says something dumb, the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse here - our cub reporters - jump to post it and then fall back on just giving us information.

Not one word of this from any of them.

Actually, I thnk if you search here, you will find I said Lott was a jerk, and idiot, and Thurmond a useless racist who has no right to be in the congress at all. I have consitently pegged Lott as a POS who is a leech to this country and never, ever offered any real service - only furthered his own political and financial well being. I have yet to se a lib acuratley admonish on of thier own - the lemming syndrome.

Just wanted to see what response I would get from the oh so obvious lefties.

Ljb, I KNEW I could count on you.

falconridge
09-03-2006, 06:09 PM

My point was that whenever a conservative says something dumb, the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse here - our cub reporters - jump to post it and then fall back on just giving us information.Thanks for the clarification, Tom. Obviously, I hadn't picked up on your "cub reporters" reference; I thought you meant the media in general, rather than that quartet of PA colleagues you refer to in your followup.

And I DO remember you criticizing Lott and Thurmond in previous posts (George W., too--many times). That recollection also contributed to my confusion about your purpose in posting the initial entry in this thread.

And, yes, it would appear that at least as many Democrats as Republicans devoutly observe the principle of Ronald Reagan's Eleventh Commandment (though of course they amend the last word): "Thou shalt not speak ill of a fellow Republican."

Tom
09-03-2006, 07:53 PM
I hate all politicians equally!:bang:

ljb
09-03-2006, 08:14 PM

My point was that whenever a conservative says something dumb, the 4 horsemen of the apocalypse here - our cub reporters - jump to post it and then fall back on just giving us information.

Not one word of this from any of them.

Ljb, I KNEW I could count on you.
Tom,
thanks for clearing this up. For a minute there i thought you were trying to get promoted to cub reporter. For now you will be Junior Cub Reporter.
There is not enough time in a day to report all the dumb things being done today. I again want to thank you for your help. It is good to know that I can now count on you too. :D

DJofSD
09-03-2006, 10:54 PM
I hate all politicians equally!

Tom, I think that means you're in the same club as Anne Coulter and Tammy Bruce!!!

andicap
09-04-2006, 09:02 AM
C'mon you guys, haven't you ever seen The Simpsons? It's not 'Apu Smith' running the Kwik-E-Mart.

:lol: :lol:

(I think it was a very weak attempt at humor but still really really dumb.)

richrosa
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Tom,

You have to remember in the US, as part of our Constitution we ALL have freedom of speech. 200+ years later that freedom speech now means that you could say anything you want so long as you agree with the major media on their issues. If you are on the other side and you say something they don't like, they will ensure that you take it back, apologize, give up your first born, etc...

Biden gets a pass.

Tom
09-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Rich, exactly my point - why does he get a pass and Lott didn't?
Double standards for conservatives?

DJofSD
09-05-2006, 10:26 AM

The drive-by media can only shot out the right side of the car.

46zilzal
09-05-2006, 03:44 PM
hyp·o·crite

Etymology: Middle English ypocrite, from Anglo-French, from Late Latin hypocrita, from Greek hypokritEs actor, hypocrite, from hypokrinesthai
1 : a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Tom
09-05-2006, 04:11 PM
Very good.
I think #2 is what we are after.

Show Me the Wire
09-05-2006, 04:13 PM
2 : a person who acts in contradiction to his or her stated beliefs or feelings

Exactly, what Tom posted about.

46zilzal
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
from the spelling I was under the impression we were talking about at Greek physician.

Show Me the Wire
09-05-2006, 04:15 PM
Tom:

Didn't see your post as most likely you posted while I was composing my response to 46.

I guess 46 is agreeing too.

ljb
09-05-2006, 04:47 PM
Double standards for conservatives?

I think the neocons wanted Lott out. jmho.

Tom
09-05-2006, 05:58 PM
Still doens't address the lib response - Al Gore wanted him censured.
Why nothing from Al this time?