PDA

View Full Version : Durkin no longer Breeder's Cup announcer

cj
09-02-2006, 05:05 PM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=35149

bigmack
09-02-2006, 05:13 PM
"This is not a sad or bad feeling, and I'm not the weepy type anyway"?

ghostyapper
09-02-2006, 05:46 PM
Looks like denman will get the job. I big step up in his career.

The Hawk
09-03-2006, 12:00 AM
Best racing news I've heard in a while. Maybe I'll watch with the sound on this year.

ghostyapper
09-03-2006, 12:11 AM
Best racing news I've heard in a while. Maybe I'll watch with the sound on this year.

Why do you say that? Some of durkins calls in the breeders cup have been fantastic. The rest were all solid.

Zaf
09-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Durkin is great , but I would welcome a change and would be thrilled if Denman called em this year :ThmbUp:

Z

banacek
09-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Durkin is great , but I would welcome a change and would be thrilled if Denman called em this year :ThmbUp:

Z

Only question is where will we see the Breeders Cup if we are in Canada. Right now it doesn't look promising. We can't get ESPN and no one in Canada has the rights.

Zaf
09-03-2006, 12:54 AM
I will probably go to Woodbine, big day ehhh :)

Z

PaceAdvantage
09-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Durkin and the Breeders' Cup were always meant to be together. Whatever criticisms one may have of Durkin, he always earned his pay on Breeders' Cup day. His calls over the years have been the stuff of legends at times.

Durkin's race calls, in my opinion, are filled with drama and emotion, while Trevor Denman's, for a lack of a better word, are more mechanical. They both do an excellent job at describing what is going on out on the track, but Durkin's calls bring that little extra something to the table, especially on the big days.

You never quite know what to expect from Durkin when something dramatic is unfolding (and let's face it, every single BC race is dramatic in its own right).

I think the best way to describe Durkin vs. Denman is this:
Durkin calls the races as if he is actually out there, on the track and in the race, riding along side the action. Denman calls the races as if he is actually sitting inside the announcer's booth.

JustRalph
09-03-2006, 02:35 AM
Good for Durkin! He gets to sit back and play the races this year! With no interference!

samyn on the green
09-03-2006, 03:04 AM
Durkin is beloved and nothing short of a national treasure, the best American caller of his generation. The greatest American voice in sports since Frank Caposella. Durkin is a master of voice inflection, conveying drama verbally and orally painting a picture of the race. Denman is an excellent caller himself but my heart is with Durkin.

Si2see
09-03-2006, 03:28 AM
where is vic stauffer when you need him :) Bernardini YESSSSS !!!!

Bruddah
09-03-2006, 04:10 AM
if Durkin must retire. I have enjoyed his calls over the years. Fuhgit Denman all ready. He drives me crazy with his nasal twang. I get tired of having to ask others...what'd he say???? Who was running up third and who was falling back?? I never know where my horse is when he's calling the race. It simply drives me insane :bang: :bang: :bang:

Zman179
09-03-2006, 07:46 AM
Only question is where will we see the Breeders Cup if we are in Canada. Right now it doesn't look promising. We can't get ESPN and no one in Canada has the rights.

TSN/RDS and ESPN are jointly owned. So if it's on ESPN, then it's very likely that it'll be on TSN.

andicap
09-03-2006, 07:51 AM
I wonder how some of the great baseball announcers would have sounded doing racing calls. Vin Scully, for example, would have been great with his evocative vocabulary and flair for the dramatic.

BIG49010
09-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I say give everybody a shot at 1 race, Luke, Trev, Dave Johnson, Dooly, Stauffer, Woodbine guy, Calder guy, then let the fans vote, like American Idol .... and next year you have the peoples choice.:ThmbUp:

I choose Luke, although he calls more photos wrong than any of the rest, but thats ok, that's why we have photos.

banacek
09-03-2006, 10:00 AM
TSN/RDS and ESPN are jointly owned. So if it's on ESPN, then it's very likely that it'll be on TSN.

Not according to the papers here. TSN is committed to the Tour Golf Championship.

The Hawk
09-03-2006, 11:07 AM
Durkin is beloved and nothing short of a national treasure, the best American caller of his generation. The greatest American voice in sports since Frank Caposella. Durkin is a master of voice inflection, conveying drama verbally and orally painting a picture of the race. Denman is an excellent caller himself but my heart is with Durkin.

Durkin's been slipping for some time. Lately, he's been calling horses by the wrong name more than ever, with more pregnant pauses than ever. Durkin is a master of false emotion, which leaves little room for real emotion when it's warranted. Coveying drama is a great skill when there's drama to be conveyed; do it 5 or 6 days a week, for statebred races as well as stakes, and you kind of lose the dramatic flair a bit.

Do you honestly think this is true:

The greatest American voice in sports since Fred Caposella? Honestly? Maybe racing, sure, but sports?

For the record, there was a time that Dave Johnson would have been recognized as the greatest voice in racing, and we all see what happened to him. To me, Durkin is at the very, very early stages of beginning down this path, due to ego and the reliance on the same pat phrases every race, every day ("at his throatlatch, off the turn, into the stretch, throttle down his speed".) It reminds me of why I can't listen to Yankee games on the radio anymore, where every Yankee homer is called as such:

"It is high...it is far....it is gone!!!!!" Whether it's high or far or not.

Then, sometimes you get the sheepish:

"It is caught".

I bring this up because it's comparable to Durkin's calls. They're generic, with false drama, occasionally whether it's a statebred maiden or a stake. If Durkin would call the races without trying to create drama and inject his own personality into the call he'd both be much easier to listen to, in my opinion. Same goes for Sterling.

Tom
09-03-2006, 12:07 PM
I wonder how some of the great baseball announcers would have sounded doing racing calls. Vin Scully, for example, would have been great with his evocative vocabulary and flair for the dramatic.

Howard Cosell!
And Dany Don to sing "Turn out the lights" when the big favortite fades in the stretch!

richrosa
09-03-2006, 05:22 PM
I'd go for Vic Stauffer over Trevor. His calls are genuine and more exciting. He'd do well with the BC races. My second call with be John Dooley. I remember the Arlington Million call every year as one of the best.

PlanB
09-03-2006, 06:32 PM
Maybe 3 years ago, I'm not sure, Tom Durkin called a race in which 2 horses
with long names, and similiar names, were battling 1st & 2nd from wire to wire.
Kayabonkin vs Bonkakylin, and with each & every stride he shouted Kaya, Bonka,
Bonka, Kaya, kaya kaya bonka bonka --- well, it was brilliant. I don't think any
performer can stay peak forever & so it goes. The beat goes on. Tom is
a very entertaining & accurate race caller.

BlueShoe
09-03-2006, 09:35 PM
Mondy Night Football?Maybe Howard or Dandy Don?How about Al Michaels?Seriously,think he could have been a fine race caller.He has hosted horse races in the past on national TV,and has owned race horses.Has done a great job on every sport that he has covered.

TravisVOX
09-03-2006, 10:00 PM
I watched ABC's races as I grew into the game and I still think that Al Michaels is the best sports broadcaster period. He did awesome on the roof at Churchill... his presence is missed for sure!

Stevie Belmont
09-03-2006, 10:46 PM
God damn it! I have not been this aggravated in a long time. This sucks. I like Denmon a lot, but this is bullshit. Durkin is great. The voice of the NYRA...The voice of the NTRA!! And a great discriptive voice it is. I am very upset. I come home from vacation to find this bull crap. I got screwed with no internet connection for 2 days. I wish it were 3. ESPN has a long way to go before they think they fill NBC'c shoes.

samyn on the green
09-03-2006, 11:27 PM
Denman is excellent but beleive he flubs more names than Durkin does. Denman really needs to take a French class as he messes up many of those. I recall watching all of the preps for the 2005 Derby in preperation for the First Saturday in May and Denman badly flubbed Giacomo over and over again over two different racecalls. He called him Guy-a-co-mo repeatedly, it was pathetic that Denman didn't research how to pronounce Giacomo when he raced in the Santa Anita Derby. He had called this horse on at least three prior occaisions. Denman now correctly pronounces Giacomo but it took Durkins call in the 2005 Derby to correct him. How many foriegn names will Denman butcher on the big day?

TRM
09-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Slightly off topic, but what happened to Dave Johnson?

BillW
09-03-2006, 11:44 PM
He's got a Sat. AM show on Sirius

nomadpat
09-04-2006, 12:40 AM
Why does there need to be a "TV" announcer? Why not let the track announcer of the track where the races are at announce?

samyn on the green
09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
Two words; Mike Battaglia.Why does there need to be a "TV" announcer? Why not let the track announcer of the track where the races are at announce?

Stevie Belmont
09-04-2006, 01:23 AM
I read the article. I understand the situation. He signed a contract, and he is quite happy with it. He made some very good points. Bottom line...he's not going anywhere...and he is more then happy to admit that. Class act.

Zman179
09-04-2006, 08:56 AM
Denman really needs to take a French class as he messes up many of those.

Denman and Durkin both suck when it comes to pronouncing french names. On Saturday at Saratoga, a horse named Fete won the 10th race (Fête is french for "party".) Instead of pronouncing it like 'phet', he pronounced it like 'fate', a totally different word. Ooooh boy. :faint:

DJofSD
09-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Well, I guess you can't please all the people all of the time.

I seriously doubt there's a single caller that would make this crowd happy. Maybe they should rotate the job for race caller too.

Given a chance, I'll give Trevor my personal congrats but with the "new" grandstand, that's easier said than done.

racingrev
09-04-2006, 10:33 AM

I seriously doubt there's a single caller that would make this crowd happy.

That would have to be the most accurate quote of all time................. :eek:

In 20 years time people will be saying..." If only we had Tom Durkin or Trevor Denman calling....." Multiply that by another 20... That's just too complicated........

Good luck Tom, your Breeders Cup calls have been at an awesome standard for such a long time.. A tremendous credit to you and look forward to hearing much of the same at NYRA and the Derby and Preakness....

And congrat's to whoever get's the GIG....

Lot of great callers in the States.. To name a few.. Trevor, VJS, Larry C, Mike Chamberlain, Mike Wrona, Peter Berry.. etc, etc, etc, etc.... Yes you could go on forever

TravisVOX
09-04-2006, 11:11 AM

I seriously doubt there's a single caller that would make this crowd happy.
Amen!

racingrev
09-04-2006, 11:20 AM
Amen!

Good preaching there Brother...

BTW... Had a listen to some of your calls last week... Not that you struggled to start with but man.. Fantastic improvement. Sounding Good..

TravisVOX
09-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Thank you much. You are the fourth person to say that to me this week... I appreciate it. On the mic I feel significantly more comfortable and am ready to call the Super Derby. I began my prep-work last night, should be a lot of fun.

CBedo
09-04-2006, 11:57 AM
My vote would be for Trevor. If I have a horse that looks to be in good position, but Trevor calls something negative about him, he is usually right.

He called a race at Del Mar the other day where I had a large bet on a closer in a mile race. Before the half mile call, he called "they're going to fast!," and then shortly after said my horse was "content sitting eight back." As soon as I heard this, I pretty much knew I was cashing that ticket.

kenwoodallpromos
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
Denman and Durkin both suck when it comes to pronouncing french names. On Saturday at Saratoga, a horse named Fete won the 10th race (Fête is french for "party".) Instead of pronouncing it like 'phet', he pronounced it like 'fate', a totally different word. Ooooh boy. :faint:

Valuist
09-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Let's see....Battaglia works on the BC telecasts.

"Down the stretch, its Tiznow IN FRONT......GAINING GROUND up from the OUTSIDE, its Sakhee.....they're nearing the wire..... :D

jwcomposer
09-04-2006, 09:38 PM
That would have to be the most accurate quote of all time................. :eek:

In 20 years time people will be saying..." If only we had Tom Durkin or Trevor Denman calling....." Multiply that by another 20... That's just too complicated........

Good luck Tom, your Breeders Cup calls have been at an awesome standard for such a long time.. A tremendous credit to you and look forward to hearing much of the same at NYRA and the Derby and Preakness....

And congrat's to whoever get's the GIG....

Lot of great callers in the States.. To name a few.. Trevor, VJS, Larry C, Mike Chamberlain, Mike Wrona, Peter Berry.. etc, etc, etc, etc.... Yes you could go on forever

Sharp post, mate. I personally think the home course caller should do the Breeders' Cup. Knowing the limitations offered by some courses, I don't see any problem with this method of determining who calls. Indeed, though, there are a bevy of fine announcers that easily could do the job well.

The Hawk
09-04-2006, 10:37 PM

I seriously doubt there's a single caller that would make this crowd happy. Maybe they should rotate the job for race caller too.

Four come to mind quickly:

Larry Collmus

Luke K

Trevor Denman

John Dooley

bigmack
09-04-2006, 11:05 PM
DRF is having a poll. Current results @ 8PST

For the first time since 1984, Tom Durkin will not call this year's Breeders' Cup. Who should replace Durkin in the announcer's booth on November 4? [312 votes total]

Larry Collmus (26) 8%
Trevor Denman (190) 61%
Luke Kruytbosch (36) 12%
Vic Stauffer (27) 9%
Michael Wrona (10) 3%
Other (23) 7%

ponyplayerdotca
09-05-2006, 01:50 PM
With all due to respect to him, and all those who enjoy his calls, I am really lost on all the support for Durkin. I agree 100% with THE HAWK's post (#18 in this thread).

Obviously in the minority, I have never "enjoyed" any call of any race he's ever done. Every BC race with an emphatic ending he voiced was always done more for stamping his legacy on the race than for the event itself.

As a fan, and viewer, it's up to me to make the video and audio of the race memorable, not for the caller to impose it upon me.

Case in point:

On Monday Night Football, when Dandy Don Meredith saw Tony Dorsett break through the Vikings' line from his own endzone and knew what was coming, he basically said what every else at home thought, "Oh nah...99 yards and a half!" :ThmbUp:

That's all it took. Simple and to the point. I don't think Durkin has ever let the show be the show. That's my opinion, unpopular on this board as it may be. I'm not on the attack against Durkin, but I am glad he won't be doing the BC anymore.

I like Denman, but I also like the suggestions of Collmus and Stauffer too. My fave is Australian Peter Berry at Mountaineer. But with the seeming disapproval against any non-American voice on this board too, I know he won't be as popular a choice either.

BTW, Collmus does Monmouth and some NYRA sometimes. Stauffer, is he the guy at Arlington? And who's the guy who does Hollywood Park? Is that Stauffer too? Si2see (post #12)....BERNARDINI YESSSS! Is that the guy?

SAMYN ON THE GREEN: Mike Battaglia? You've got to be kidding. Yikes! :bang:

Suff
09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
Obviously in the minority, I have never "enjoyed" any call of any race he's ever done.

Take a minute and listen to Durkin do the 2002 Test Stakes.

If you can listen to this and still say never enjoyed.....then I'll be stumped.

http://nyra.com/saratoga/video.asp?track=S&mon=7&yr=2002

Bottom left hand corner of races offered.

Tom
09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
That's exactly the type of call I don't like about him.
Sounded like Bob Dole on his first Viagara.:eek:

ponyplayerdotca
09-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Great race. The call of the stretch run was exciting.

Two things he said lessened the enjoyment for me:

The "sensational" exclamation at the 21 3/5 opening quarter was overdone. It was just the opening quarter of the race. Just say a "sizzling opening quarter of 21 and 3" and move on.

The need to point out that the favorite, YOU, was "LAST, LAST AS THEY HEAD INTO THE FAR TURN" was forcing concern on the viewer (prematurely as it turned out). YOU won the race, so why was it so stunning that she was far back early on?

Again, maybe I'm nitpicking (probably!), but he just doesn't do it for me.

Maybe if he gave such an enthusiastic call in a $25k state-bred claimer as well as the big stakes races, I have a more positive opinion.

But it's just an opinion. It certainly doesn't change the fact that he possesses a rare gift of race calling that he has employed well for over 30 years. I know I couldn't do it!

His Hall of Fame induction is quite deserving. He's just not my top choice.

bigmack
09-05-2006, 04:05 PM
That's exactly the type of call I don't like about him.
Sounded like Bob Dole on his first Viagara.:eek:
I don't want to jump on a bandwagon but on a call like that he sounds a bit like Ted Baxter.

Suff
09-07-2006, 03:10 PM
[QUOTE] Great race. The call of the stretch run was exciting.

:ThmbUp: One of my favorites all time at the SPA.

Two things he said lessened the enjoyment for me:

The "sensational" exclamation at the 21 3/5 opening quarter was overdone. It was just the opening quarter of the race. Just say a "sizzling opening quarter of 21 and 3" and move on.

Race calling, and anyone's appreciation of them is subjective. When a caller starts "and away they go"... reminds me of "there goooooes Swifty".. ( wonderland:D )... Greyhound. Same with "Racing" or they're racing"

I like the traditional "they're off"

Reference Durkin's sensationalism. 3YO Fillys do not go 21.3 at saratoga. they just don't do it. 4 year old world class sprinting colts don't go 21 and 3 upstate. ( or rarely)...plus 44 and small change was pretty amazing to boot.

The need to point out that the favorite, YOU, was "LAST, LAST AS THEY HEAD INTO THE FAR TURN" was forcing concern on the viewer (prematurely as it turned out). YOU won the race, so why was it so stunning that she was far back early on?

She was 4 to 5. 1/2 the track has a dollar on her!.. . believe me They wanna know where she is... not to mention when any 4 to 5 is out of the SIMO feed view.. a caller is compelled to mention for the simo players.

But it's just an opinion. It certainly doesn't change the fact that he possesses a rare gift of race calling that he has employed well for over 30 years. I know I couldn't do it!

His Hall of Fame induction is quite deserving. He's just not my top choice

Its subjective , as I said. Having met him, and seen numerous interviews ( live and on TV) I like the guy or should I say his public persona. Humble and self-defacing, and endearing, not to mention enduring.

To each his own.

ghostyapper
09-07-2006, 04:43 PM
His call of the 89 classic between sunday silence and easy goer was outstanding. He told it like a story and had the perfect tone of voice.

Also his call in 87 when alysheba and ferdinand hit the wire together was great.

He will be missed.

The Hawk
09-07-2006, 09:05 PM
His call of the 89 classic between sunday silence and easy goer was outstanding. He told it like a story and had the perfect tone of voice.

Also his call in 87 when alysheba and ferdinand hit the wire together was great.

He will be missed.

No question, nearly 20 years ago, Durkin was fabulous. That's what led him to the top of his profession. That was nearly 20 years ago.

KingChas
09-08-2006, 12:12 AM
Race calling, and anyone's appreciation of them is subjective. When a caller starts "and away they go"... reminds me of "there goooooes Swifty".. ( wonderland:D )... Greyhound. Same with "Racing" or they're racing"

I like the traditional "they're off"

To each his own.

Here I thought he was always saying "anawaydeygo". :D
The foreign accents don't appeal to me.I just don't have that much new age so called "feminine side" in me. :eek:
I'll take the man Durkin. :ThmbUp:

NY BRED
09-10-2006, 06:10 PM
perhaps the politically correct move would be to have the 10
best national and even international announcers each call
a race.

racing fans in each country entrered in a race could cast
cast their vote for their favorite announcer.

of course, it could get really interesting trying to understand
the call of foreigners unable to speak english :bang:

sq764
09-10-2006, 09:37 PM
Why do you say that? Some of durkins calls in the breeders cup have been fantastic. The rest were all solid.
Tiznow call in the BC classic was one to remember

BlueShoe
09-11-2006, 09:17 PM
Since the inception of the BC series have felt that the regular track announcer at the host track should call the BC races.No politics,no contracts,no going outside.That means that if the series is run in NY,you get Tom;in SoCal Trevor,and in Kentucky,its Luke.These three men all surely rate in the top five among North American race callers.In the 23 BC days,how many times has the event NOT been run in either NY,SoCal,or KY?Will have to research that one,cannot say offhand,but would think,not very many.In any case,we would get a fine race caller;and as others have said,its the BC races that are spotlighted,the announcer is really of minor importance.

Bubbles
09-11-2006, 10:49 PM
In the 23 BC days,how many times has the event NOT been run in either NY,SoCal,or KY?Will have to research that one,cannot say offhand,but would think,not very many.A few. Was run at Woodbine once, once at Arlington, and in Florida a few times.

cj
09-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Don't forget Lone Star. Next year, Monmouth.

Valuist
09-11-2006, 11:16 PM

He will be missed.

That was a great call in 87 for not only the Classic but the Turf as Theatrical and Trempolino battled to the wire.

Here's how Marshall Cassidy would've called that exciting 1987 finish:

Aly----sheba............................................. .........................in front

ryesteve
09-12-2006, 08:53 AM
Don't forget Lone Star.
I've been trying very hard to forget that one...

JustRalph
09-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been trying very hard to forget that one...

me too.......... Monmouth? Oh geez...........

otravez
09-12-2006, 03:48 PM
A new caller on that day? I take Denman.