PDA

View Full Version : Fractious or Nuts?

bigmack
08-31-2006, 06:19 PM
Should the word that was chosen for an "unruly horse", fractious 1: inclined to make trouble 2: having a peevish nature,
be occasionally replaced by bonkers, wacko, mashugina or ? Wow, some aren't too keen on gameday.
http://artfiles.art.com/images/PRODUCTS/large/10232000/10232744.jpg

DJofSD
08-31-2006, 07:08 PM
That horse is very talented! And it is doing what comes naturally. The movement is called a capriole and is one of the movements taught horses at the Spanish Riding School in Vienna. This "haute ecole" movement is typically shown while the horse is in hand, just as in the photograph. However, the reason why horses were taught this in traditional training was for use in war time and while there was a rider mounted. What's not mentioned nor shown is usually the horse will kick out with his hind legs. Imagine what that does to enemy soldiers that might not have gotten out of the way quickly enough.

BTW, that yiddish word does have meaning. It might be something some one might mutter under their breath but it certainly wouldn't be the right word to use instead of fractious.

bigmack
08-31-2006, 07:27 PM
BTW, that yiddish word does have meaning. It might be something some one might mutter under their breath but it certainly wouldn't be the right word to use instead of fractious.
Works for me

DJofSD
08-31-2006, 07:33 PM
Works for me

Well, my Jewish friends have said it's roughly equivalent to *sshole. Maybe that's another word.

nativenova
08-31-2006, 07:51 PM
Oh I am sorry ,thought you were talking about Anderson ? wrong thread.......:lol: sorry Anderson I couldn't resist....

Overlay
08-31-2006, 08:18 PM
Brings back memories. Just out of college, I worked for a time in the men's shop of a department store. "Mamzer" was the standard epithet that one of the suit salesmen (who worked on straight commission) applied to any customer who would consume an inordinate amount of his time and then walk out without buying anything.

Tom
08-31-2006, 09:02 PM
Run over the fences - he's a natural!

Loosehorse
08-31-2006, 10:09 PM
http://horseracing.about.com/od/latestnews/a/aa010304a.htm

Photo won 2004 Eclipse.