PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a track

CBedo
08-31-2006, 01:10 AM
I realize that many of us today screen multiple tracks every day to find the best investment opportunities in the types of races we believe to do the best, but for those of you who follow everything that goes on at a specific track, how did you choose to follow it specifically?

-Geography?
-Field Size?
-Pool Size?
-Takeout Percentage?
-Avg Mutual?
-Wagering Menu?

What else?

I'm interested in finding out what makes a track "attractive" to you?

Thanks,

CBedo

kenwoodallpromos
08-31-2006, 02:48 AM
TV shows replays;
track is minor enough top have dominate trainers and jockeys to follow;
A decent amount of days that favor speed;
Usually 1 bug that gets "live" runners.
Most media handicappers assess the races well.

Paging
08-31-2006, 02:51 AM
I'm sure the time it runs is a big one for many people.

I can't imagine Mountaineer or Evangeline getting much play if they ran head to head with many tracks.

Another big one is rebates. If you're able to get 12% or so at one track and 4% at another you're much more likely to start following the track giving 12% back.

shanta
08-31-2006, 06:29 AM
I'm interested in finding out what makes a track "attractive" to you?

Thanks,

CBedo

1) cheap horses
2) full fields
3) away from the beaten path a bit ( Ct,Rp etc)

Richie

twindouble
08-31-2006, 07:01 AM
When I first signed up here, I got the empression most members followed just graded races, big time talk about the cream of the crop including owners and trainers. Well, it turns out they do play the smaller tracks as well, lower claiming ranks to my surprise.

-Geography?
-Field Size?
-Pool Size?
-Takeout Percentage?
-Avg Mutual?
-Wagering Menu?

What else?

Geography? At one time it we all would just go to the nearest track and take it from there. Once hooked, plan your vacation around traveling to an out of State track for the experience. Now we can sit on our butt and test them all and not get to know anyone to speak of. Good idea getting to know the tracks your reading in the form. That's a must, otherwise you'll only become average player. Where you end up, only you can decide, including how many tracks you play.

Field size. I don't think anyone here would disagree that field size is important, the more horses the better the value.

Pool size. Opertunity abounds at the big tracks as well as the small tracks, ESP when large fields are on the menu. I prefer the small tracks but in order to score big, you have to go where the money is and that's the pick 6 at the big tracks.

Takeout. This is a thorn in everyone's side but I think most of us put it aside when the tracks we play produce a profit.

Average Mutual. I would find it hard to believe that's a top priority with any handicapper. Maybe so but I don't think that would make the difference in being a winner.

Wagering menu. Yes very important, there's money to be made in the gimmicks, (super and tri). I don't concider the picks as gimmicks because your picking winners, pick 3's (rolling) (DD rolling), pick 4's and pick 6.

What else? When you settle in on your track or tracks get to know them inside and out including who's who.

T.D.

Valuist
08-31-2006, 09:43 AM
Most important factors:

1. knowledge of local horse base. Sounds obvious but not all circuits race all year round. Let's say you were thinking about playing Hoosier Park, which will start this weekend. Had you been playing Ellis, where the majority of horses figure to ship from? How about RD, or Indiana Downs earlier in the year? For a track like Gulfstream, knowing the better New York and Kentucky barns/horses is key, although some knowledge of Calder wouldn't hurt either.

2. If you play thru a rebate shop, is the track offered? For instance, I know of at least one rebate shop who won't take wagers on NYRA racing. Tampa and Oaklawn have locked out some, and other small tracks, like Finger Lakes and Fairmount Park, are not available at most shops, either.

3. Time zone. Let's say you are already playing two Eastern time zone tracks but are thinking of adding a third. I find it difficult to follow too many tracks at once. And if you are already playing several Eastern time zone tracks, adding a couple Pacific time zone tracks could make for a real long day.

4. Does the track offer just dirt racing, or turf racing, or synthetic surface racing? I won't play tracks that don't offer grass racing.

5. How big are the pools? At many smaller tracks, win betting has basically become obsolete, since virtually everyone is betting blind due to late odds fluctuations. I don't care for tracks who's P3 pools are less than $2,000/race. You tend to take the worst of it more than the other way around.

6. Does the track offer a full menu of exotic options? By now, the majority of tracks do, but there still are some who don't offer rolling P3s :mad: or trifectas on every race.

7. Field sizes. If its all a steady diet of 5 to 7 horse fields, forget it. Too difficult to find value.

cj
08-31-2006, 10:25 AM
1) cheap horses
2) full fields

Richie

Agree with all but one thing. As an Oklahoma homeowner and future resident, RP is not "away from the beaten path a bit"!

1st time lasix
08-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Like to play race tracks with full fields that don't let the late batch money in {Tampa and Oaklawn} Take outs are an issue if I play a race. I also don't play supers where they offer them at a dime or tris where they offer them at 50 cents. Of course as an East Coast fan ....I enjoy the higher quality races at Saratoga, Keeneland, Churchill, Arlington, Del Mar {only California track I play} and Gulfstream. I prefer not to play Calder, Delaware, LA Downs, Philidelphia, Finger Lakes, Mountaineer, Charlestown or Colonial. Perhaps because I generally pass a lot of cheaper claiming races below 15 k and 2L races. Different strokes..... It will be interesting to see if Fairgrounds returns to its previous level this winter.

Tom
08-31-2006, 11:47 AM
1. Wherever my model shows I have an edge to exploit
2. Whatever is on TVG or HTR at the time
3. Whatever is left running on Youbet late.

pjbc77
08-31-2006, 07:24 PM
I tend to follow the NY circuit because it is what I grew up with and what I am familiar with. I do this as a hobby, and based on what I have seen around here so far, am definitely a novice handicapper compared to a lot of the others here, and don't really have the time or the money to follow more than one circuit. My local track is Suffolk Downs, I might play a few races there if I am at the track to have fun, but would never seriously follow it.

46zilzal
08-31-2006, 07:28 PM
Today we have a great opportunities to find A) a track we understand and B) one that has NOT been figured out by the locals and/or the sheets/Thorograph/or whomever. Looking over many of them, rather than accepting the program locally, allows us to pick and choose. I found that most of the really good ones, are NOT the name brand courses.

I surveyed about 30 courses and found a few that meet these criteria and it has been most rewarding.

schweitz
08-31-2006, 08:46 PM
1) cheap horses
2) full fields

Richie

Ditto.

BIG49010
08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Bet with the best, play the big meets on Stakes days, it is surprising the overlays you will get! Saratoga and Keeneland are the best of the best, real people who know very little about racing still come watch the races, and bet on colors and numbers. :rolleyes:

DeadCrab
09-01-2006, 11:12 AM
I no longer bet on tracks without synthetic surfaces.

uncbossfan
09-01-2006, 12:32 PM
I always play the track I am at, RD, TP, KEE or CD depending on which meet is running. I only play east coast tracks excpet for Derby preps and Big stake races out west. Hate small fields. Will play 3 tracks at the most at 1 time, but thats usually a bad idea. My fav is being at RD, playing all CD races and picking my spots at BEL