PDA

View Full Version : Prominent Canadian owner, trainer, breeder dies in Comair crash

falconridge
08-28-2006, 11:32 PM
Among the 49 passengers who perished in Sunday's crash of Comair flight 5191 was Lyle Anderson, a Canadian owner, trainer, and breeder of several top-flight standardbreds. The 55-year-old Ontario native had come to Lexington to watch his Queen Charlotte, a two-year-old trotting filly, compete in a stakes at the Red Mile.

Anderson owned and trained the sensational Ally Hall, a trotter that contended for juvenile distaff honors in 2001. Another of his charges was 2003 Valley Victory winner Beardmore, whose career earnings topped $600,000.

www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/iss0806/landerson0828.html (http://www.standardbredcanada.ca/news/iss0806/landerson0828.html)

Tom
08-28-2006, 11:38 PM
http://www.drf.com/news/article/78009.html

Flower Alley's breeder was killed as well.
Tragic accident.

BetHorses!
08-29-2006, 07:46 PM
Just awful story. And the minor league baseball player who was married the night before.

The co-pilot who was the pilot survived. Hate to speculate on such a tragedy but I I would think Alcohol or some sort of impairment could have played a role. Two runways, lights on one of them and off on another and they takeoff on the runway with the lights that are off...WTF? :confused:

And one person in the freaking control tower. I hate when people die due to total incompetence.

JustRalph
08-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Just awful story. And the minor league baseball player who was married the night before.

The co-pilot who was the pilot survived. Hate to speculate on such a tragedy but I I would think Alcohol or some sort of impairment could have played a role. Two runways, lights on one of them and off on another and they takeoff on the runway with the lights that are off...WTF? :confused:

And one person in the freaking control tower. I hate when people die due to total incompetence.

The lights being off might not have been a problem, depending on how much light there was. Sunrise was not far off. Definate problem probably as they started their rollout. Meaning they probably noticed it. But there was a notam that the "centerline lights" were out, on the other runway. So that may not have even registered as a problem. But, somebody has to pull the plug on the rollout. Nobody did.

The fact that their heading was 26 and not 22 should have been the real reason somebody should have caught it. The difference in which runway they used is about an extra 30 seconds of taxiway..........

I hear now that the controller had turned his back on the plane. The chances of this stuff being caught prior to takeoff were there, but apparently as usual, a few errors by more than one person, added up to a horrible tragedy. This is very common in aircraft crashes.

http://www.columbuscool.com/lexington.jpg

BetHorses!
08-29-2006, 09:48 PM
The fact that their heading was 26 and not 22 should have been the real reason somebody should have caught it. The difference in which runway they used is about an extra 30 seconds of taxiway..........

Exactly. And has there been anything said about why this guy was piloting the plane?

He might not make it. Also, article in NY Daily News says he was once shot in the stomach by his wife.

JustRalph
08-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Exactly. And has there been anything said about why this guy was piloting the plane?

I don't think it would be an issue? He is the first officer. It wouldn't be unusual at all for the co-pilot to be performing the takeoff.