PDA

View Full Version : Leading first out sires ... who do you like?

Observer
06-14-2001, 10:09 PM
We had a really good thread not too long ago regarding turf sires, so now I'm just wondering who everyone likes for first out runners. It doesn't necessarily have to be for 2yos, but if any of you do distinguish between firsters, or firsters according to age, I'm sure it would be interesting.

Also, do any of you favor sires of firsters over certain tracks as opposed to others?

Hennessy and Honour and Glory babies were fun to watch last year, and I'm sure they'll continue to do well again this year. But a couple of my current favorite sires include Forest Wildcat and A. P Jet. Plus I'm also pulling for the NY vet Ormsby to get a few nice runners in his first crop.

Seeking the Gold and Dehere are two others who usually catch me eye, as well as Storm Cat, Seattle Slew, Danzig and a few others I can't think of right now.

ridersup
06-15-2001, 09:29 AM
Observer:

Was playing simulcast races the other day and Smoke Glacken had back to back winners with first time starters. As I recall Smoke Glacken was quite a sprinter.

Cherokee Run had quite a few runners last year but I haven't seen much from him this year but its early in the 2yo season.

Ridersup

ridersup
06-15-2001, 10:05 AM
Observer

Was curious as to how Smoke Glacken actually did with his first crop so I checked Bris's list of leading freshmen sires. Smoke Glacken was #1 with 9 runners and 5 winners for a total of $174k. Valid Expectations was 2d with 10 runners and 3 winners for 155K and Open Forum was third with 7 runners and 4 winners for l51k.

For older sires Cherokee Run was 9th with 69 starts and 22 wins.

This info from BRIS is great because they update it every day.

Ridersup

mudnturf
06-15-2001, 08:37 PM
We have a filly by PONCHE who seems to be doing very well as a juvenile sire. It took us longer than expected to get her to the races, but she appears to have her "act" together now. Her name is EXHILARATE and she's stabled at Fair Hill. Her next race will probably be at Delaware Park on Independence Day.

Also, we sent a mare to first year sire, ROYAL ANTHEM.
I loved the breeding on his dam side, and I have a hunch he might turn out to be his daddy's (Theatrical) pride and joy in the breeding shed. I'll be looking forward to seeing his first crop run in 2003 and even more so in 2004.
Lee T.

smf
06-16-2001, 12:57 AM
Observer,

Locally, 'Bag' is still going well for LA. Last nite at the futurity prelims, Bag swept the 3 races.

When we lost 'Smile' here a few yrs ago it took away our best sire, imo. I liked his runners.

kenwoodall
03-02-2003, 03:43 PM
Any from Harris Farms!

the Bid
03-03-2003, 10:34 PM
Here in NY I like AP Jet and Ormsby. Dixieland Band, Carson City and Citidancer are great first out. Honour and Glory and even Awesome Again seem to be young sires who may prove good first out over time. Dehere was a fave first out sire but he's overseas now.

Kentucky Bred
03-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Phone Trick.

Kentucky Bred

cato
03-04-2003, 12:18 AM
goimg off last yearssire ratings by Mike Helm, the following orses received a rating of A or B for first time stat:

Allen's Prospect--B
Beau Genious----B
Belog to Me-------B
Best Native-------B
Boundary----------B
Cure the Blues----B
Dehere-------------A
Dixieland Band----B
Forty Niner---------B
Gilded Time---------B
Hadif-----------------B
In Excess-----------A
Kris S----------------B
Meadowlake--------B

That's through the M's (I hate to give the whole thing and get sued for copy right infringement).

A number of younger horses were rated at L for likely a good producer of FTS

Theassme book includes ratings for sires for FTS, Class, Turf, Off track, stamina index and an age bias (fair at 2, better at #? etc.)

Helpful stuff. City Miner books. Available through most of yor favorite handicapping sites....

Cheers, Cato

BarnieClockerbigal
03-04-2003, 03:37 PM
Easy one Elusive Quality throws out winner after winner.

Fast Horse after fast horse.

The only bad is the prices (most are favs)

The good thing is they mostly come though as first time favs

9 for 16 in MSW. (not bad)

A positive ROI in win and place position on firsters.

JustRalph
03-04-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by BarnieClockerbigal
Easy one Elusive Quality throws out winner after winner.

Fast Horse after fast horse.

The only bad is the prices (most are favs)

The good thing is they mostly come though as first time favs

9 for 16 in MSW. (not bad)

A positive ROI in win and place position on firsters.

the guys on TVG were screaming this out everytime one would win. The whole damn country knows it now........

BarnieClockerbigal
03-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Ralph,
Guess they don't get TVG in Northern Kentucky.
Rocketeering went off at 45-1 at Turfway in January.
MSW. MIssed by that much.

Allan

canuck
03-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Mount Livermore

formula_2002
03-04-2003, 07:36 PM
canuck
mount livermore indeed!!!

Many years ago when I was working with DRF mirco film,
I could not help note this Mount Livermore who kept winning race after race...I have followed him many years.

Valis Appeal is another who won many times for me in the slop.

Both are excellent studs

Joe M

GR1@HTR
03-04-2003, 07:41 PM
http://breeding.bloodhorse.com/sirelists/national03/leading_sire.asp

More goodies to be found by circa-navagating the site.

WALLENDA
03-06-2003, 12:17 AM
ON wet tracks... one must always consider the offspring of CARSON CITY....