PDA

View Full Version : Northlands Park

bigmack
08-26-2006, 06:23 PM
Is anyone else finding this place like taking candy from a kid? Overlay central.

Must be the "Canadian nice" sentiment.

They say the only three spices Canadians know are salt, pepper & ketchup. I don't think the track announcer knows even those. Holy Macaroon he's bland.

keilan
08-26-2006, 06:38 PM
Hey Mac have you ever been to Canada?

bigmack
08-26-2006, 07:35 PM
Hey Mac have you ever been to Canada?
Yeah I've been all over. Banff - Nova Scotia, many times to Victoria and lived and shot commercials in Vancouver for a spell.

You didn't take the previous post seriously did you keilan?

keilan
08-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Nah, you’re not somebody I’d take seriously at all. :)

bigmack
08-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Canada's got a bit of razzle with the execption of several places like Edmonton.
I guess if a person likes really big malls it's quite the place.

CryingForTheHorses
08-26-2006, 08:21 PM
Is anyone else finding this place like taking candy from a kid? Overlay central.

Must be the "Canadian nice" sentiment.

They say the only three spices Canadians know are salt, pepper & ketchup. I don't think the track announcer knows even those. Holy Macaroon he's bland.

Hey us Canadians love vinegar on our frenchfries and dont forget the gravy :lol: :lol: :lol:

CryingForTheHorses
08-26-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah I've been all over. Banff - Nova Scotia, many times to Victoria and lived and shot commercials in Vancouver for a spell.

You didn't take the previous post seriously did you keilan?

Vancouver is a beautiful city,Sister lives in "Kits" Father lives in Courtney,Mom lives in Squamish.Other sisster works on Grouse Moutain,Have another sister who is a ski bunny and give Whistler a run for his money.I love Canada,Its just too damn cold!

bigmack
08-26-2006, 08:35 PM
Vancouver is a beautiful city,Sister lives in "Kits" Father lives in Courtney,Mom lives in Squamish.Other sisster works on Grouse Moutain,Have another sister who is a ski bunny and give Whistler a run for his money.I love Canada,Its just too damn cold!
Vancouver and it's surrounds are a pure joy to be around.

banacek
08-26-2006, 10:00 PM

Hey, Vancouver isn't that cold. But you might not like the rain;)

46zilzal
08-26-2006, 11:42 PM
shhhhhhhh. Don't let it get out.

maxwell
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
Vancouver is like Hamilton - minus the sulfur. :D

46zilzal
08-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Vancouver is like Hamilton - minus the sulfur.
then you haven't been to the docks near Stanley Park. There is a mound of sulfur

bigmack
08-30-2006, 03:04 PM
46 - What's your take on the Hong Kongification of VCouver?

46zilzal
08-30-2006, 03:24 PM
46 - What's your take on the Hong Kongification of VCouver?
get this: Hastings now has the Fat Choy room where all the calls are in Chinese. I hate to sterotype these people but the really enculturated ones are extremely hung up on "luck:" they go to the same seat, same teller. There is something BAD about the number eight to them. Don't know why. Many elevators out in Richmond - a suburb of about 85% Chinese (heard this but have not seen it) where we don't have a 13th floor, they call the 8th floor 7a. I was talking to a friend who was a parimutuel clerk and this fellow did not want me to hear his choice so he gave be a dollar and told me to go buy a cup of coffee so I wouldn't hear his wager. Went back and she told me that he is NOT the brightest bulb in the bunch and the horse he wagered on is still running.

Sat next to a guy at he Hong Kong simulcasts and he dropped $4,000 on a single race. Money to burn.

About 70% of the population is oriental and they are buying up real estate left and right. There are entire areas of the city where English is rarely spoken and none of the signs are in English. When you go to an ATM, there are now three choices (English and French are the national languages) with Mandarin now a third. Of course I hear this all over North America, where once immigrints became part of the culture where the settled, NOW the new idea is to make your new homeland a part of where you came from.

My grandfather's happiest day (and he told the story over and over) was when he became a U.S. citizen after immigrating from Poland as a young man. Times have changed.

bigmack
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
When in Rome huh 46?

With all due, I think you have the 8 thing backwards. They're nuts about it as it phonically sounds like wealth - so they think it's "close to loot"

shanta
08-30-2006, 03:45 PM
My grandfather's happiest day (and he told the story over and over) was when he became a U.S. citizen after immigrating from Poland as a young man. Times have changed.

Agree.

My Dad and his family came over from Italy. They learned the English language quickly and would not allow it to be spoken in the house until English was mastered.

Today all that has changed with the Spanish and Oriental invasions. No longer is it needed to learn the language. Now it is US who are forced to adapt to their foreign culture.

Going to hell in a handbasket

Rich

bigmack
08-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Going to hell in a handbasket
http://www.offthemarkcartoons.com/cartoons/2001-04-14.gif

46zilzal
08-30-2006, 03:57 PM
found out that on the yin/yang scale the number 8 has the most yin (bad) and one can only go up from there.

The Judge
08-30-2006, 07:46 PM
I was there in "73" it was a beautiful city, prettier then San Francisco. I must say I was amazed by the number of immigrants from Hong Kong and this was in "73" and I was from San Francisco.

The Indians were the second class citizens and from what I could see were treated badly by the Mounties. I hope that whole situation has as least improved.

Will keep an eye on North Land.

keilan
08-30-2006, 08:47 PM
I was there in "73" it was a beautiful city, prettier then San Francisco. I must say I was amazed by the number of immigrants from Hong Kong and this was in "73" and I was from San Francisco.

The Indians were the second class citizens and from what I could see were treated badly by the Mounties. I hope that whole situation has as least improved.

Will keep an eye on North Land.

Now the Mounties are from Hong Kong ;)

rrbauer
08-30-2006, 09:15 PM
found out that on the yin/yang scale the number 8 has the most yin (bad) and one can only go up from there.

8 is considered a very lucky number by most Asian cultures.

RXB
08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
Many elevators out in Richmond - a suburb of about 85% Chinese

About 70% of the population is oriental and they are buying up real estate left and right. There are entire areas of the city where English is rarely spoken and none of the signs are in English. When you go to an ATM, there are now three choices (English and French are the national languages) with Mandarin now a third. Of course I hear this all over North America, where once immigrints became part of the culture where the settled, NOW the new idea is to make your new homeland a part of where you came from.

What 46 says is true; go down No. 3 Road in Richmond-- which is sort of the main street through the business area-- and you see signs with huge Cantonese or Mandarin figures and little bitty English letters below. (There are a few where the English letters aren't there, period.) There are now documented cases of kids who were born here, going into Grade 1 who can barely speak any English.

Being Canadian doesn't mean much anymore, thanks to this multiculturalism crap. It's all about where your ancestors come from. (I thought we were supposed to be trying to move away from that, not toward it.) When Italy won the World Cup, I wasn't sure what country I lived in. All these Italian flags everywhere-- for a month! So many people who are born in Canada are more interested in, and loyal to, whatever country their parents or grandparents came from than they are in the country that feeds them.

When things got bad in Lebanon, all of a sudden there were "50,000 Canadians in Lebanon," looking for help from the government. Never mind that most of them had only spent the minimum three years here to get a passport and then went back. They show no loyalty to this country but if there's trouble then they want the Canadian government to save them.

Canadians of Convenience, that's what I call them. And there are a ton of them in this country now.

keilan
08-30-2006, 09:36 PM
8 is considered a very lucky number by most Asian cultures.

Their unlucky number is 4

keilan
08-30-2006, 09:39 PM
What 46 says is true; go down No. 3 Road in Richmond-- which is sort of the main street through the business area-- and you see signs with huge Cantonese or Mandarin figures and little bitty English letters below. (There are a few where the English letters aren't there, period.) There are now documented cases of kids who were born here, going into Grade 1 who can barely speak any English.

Being Canadian doesn't mean much anymore, thanks to this multiculturalism crap. It's all about where your ancestors come from. (I thought we were supposed to be trying to move away from that, not toward it.) When Italy won the World Cup, I wasn't sure what country I lived in. All these Italian flags everywhere-- for a month! So many people who are born in Canada are more interested in, and loyal to, whatever country their parents or grandparents came from than they are in the country that feeds them.

When things got bad in Lebanon, all of a sudden there were "50,000 Canadians in Lebanon," looking for help from the government. Never mind that most of them had only spent the minimum three years here to get a passport and then went back. They show no loyalty to this country but if there's trouble then they want the Canadian government to save them.

Canadians of Convenience, that's what I call them. And there are a ton of them in this country now.

Amen brother -- try doing a business deal with these people.........

RXB
08-30-2006, 09:43 PM
Having delivered my sociopolitical diatribe, I'll try to pull this thread back onto topic.

I actually made my horse racing debut 27 years ago on the Alberta circuit (Northlands/Stampede) and have played those tracks via simulcast for the past 10 years. It is dead easy (for me, at least) compared to most places. They get very little handle outside of western Canada. The racing seems very honest, and I think that the surfaces must be pretty good because even though the racing is cheap, the horses seem relatively fit.

Tom
08-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Tried to play Northlands tonight - cna't get a video off of You Bet - get a message that it is unavailable. Do they block US customers? The background of the video message is a Rogers back drop.

bigmack
08-30-2006, 10:36 PM
It is dead easy (for me, at least) compared to most places. They get very little handle outside of western Canada. The racing seems very honest, and I think that the surfaces must be pretty good because even though the racing is cheap, the horses seem relatively fit.
Agreed RX - It appears as an honest run and the betting public seems confused.

Do they block US customers? The background of the video message is a Rogers back drop.
Nah Tom they’re having some glitches in the system. It normally comes through well for us yanks

banacek
08-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Tried to play Northlands tonight - cna't get a video off of You Bet - get a message that it is unavailable. Do they block US customers? The background of the video message is a Rogers back drop.

I usually can get Northlands video from my HPI account (Woodbine), but its not working either.

(And how come Northlands isn't on BRIS's odds board - Stampede is and a lot of smaller tracks)

BlueShoe
08-30-2006, 11:05 PM
Perhaps I should take a look at Northlands,since SoCal does take it on weekends.Up until now have ignored it,thought it might be on the order of Penn National or Evangeline on the playability scale.Did notice that the pre race hostess is a very attactive young woman.On the Vancouver demographics mentioned earlier,if the Chinese immigrants are mostly from Hong Kong,Cantonese is the language spoken.Mandarin is the language of northern China.Interesting to see that Canada is catching up with the USA and Western Europe as to immigration and assimilation problems.

jabberwocky
08-31-2006, 02:59 PM
Tom,

If you have trouble again, Northlands has a live video feed through their website, but no races archived.

http://www.thehorsesatnorthlands.com/#

Tom
08-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Thanks!