PDA

View Full Version : Overstatement of the week and one by Rush

highnote
08-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's a couple quotes from a Yahoo story about the "Survivor" uproar that I probably should have filed in the "who gives a shit garbage can". But for some reason the absurdity of the scenario made me want to comment on it. Forgive my weakness.

Now in case you don't know, the new "Survivor" show pits race against race.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060825/en_tv_eo/19855;_ylt=AoH4R3BYhRz6O4eIUMTg3MlY24cA;_ylu=X3oDM TA4dDg2MG9mBHNlYwMxNjk3

OK. So now for the overstatement of the week...

"This idea is so ill-conceived that it would be funny--but for the fact that racism does still sometimes rear its ugly head," city councilman John Liu said at a press conference Friday. "This show has the potential to set back our nation's race relations by 50 years.

WTF??? One lousy low-rated show can set back our nation's race relations back by 50 years. Doesn't say much for our country, does it?
Give me a break. I think there is something wrong with a person who can make this statement.

From the same article...

"Right-wing mouthpiece Rush Limbaugh, always keen to wax bluntly on delicate subjects, took to handicapping the new season on his radio show Wednesday.

Hispanics, he said, "have shown a remarkable ability to cross borders" and "will do things other people won't do." Asians, per Limbaugh, are "the best at espionage, keeping secrets." Blacks "lack buoyancy" and are "more likely to drown," while the white man's burden will weigh down the last team with "guilt over the fact that they run things."

So much for breaking stereotypes."

Lest anyone forget....

The Europeans crossed oceans 500 years ago to settle in this hemisphere. Some millenia before that Asians crossed the Baring Strait to settle this hemisphere. I cross from Connecticut to New York to New Jersey everyday. And there are quite a few people from Connecticut who won't do that.

I suppose technically his statement is true. Anyone who is of Spanish descent and crosses a border is doing something that some other people won't.

I can't tell if he is praising them or critisizing them. Maybe neither. Maybe he thinks he is just making a statement of fact.

Kind of a weird thing for him to say. Kind of meaningless. Or am I missing something? Maybe the quote is out of context? Maybe he is speaking metaphorically?

Tom
08-25-2006, 11:14 PM
I think it is called humor.

Here's some more:

1. Day three - outraged by losing a reward challenge, the African American tribe burns down it's own camp.

2. Day three - there are 6 more Asian tribe members that when the show started. The white tribe's camp becomes a gated community.

3. Day 6 Two of the Latino team are discovered in the White tribe's camp, hauling water buckets. They claim this is water no one else will carry.

4. Day 9 - hungry from the ordeal, the white tribe orders rice from the the Asan tribe, and it is delivered.

5. Day 9 - the Aisian tribe now numbers 27.

6. Day 12 - the White tribe wins reward, but tells Jeff Probst to stuff it, as they lite up a "fat boy" and pass it around, waving and smiling at the Latino tribe.

7. Day 15 - The Surpeme Court blocks the attempted merging of the tribes. The Asian tribe now numbers 54.

8. Day 18 - Memebers of the Muslem Tribe, not part of the show, kidnap Jeff Probst and demand the White tribe pull out of the island.

9. Day 21 - members of the Muslem tribe hijack the outrigger canoe from the White tribe and sail it into thier dock, spilling thier fish catch back into the water.

10. Day 24 - Dan Rather replaces Jeff Probst as host, and the show is immediately cancelled. cBS goes broke flying the 136 Asian tribe members back home.

NBC announces it's new fall line up, headed by the "Amazing Racists."

JustRalph
08-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Tom

You are the best! :lol: :lol:

I think it is called humor.

Here's some more:

1. Day three - outraged by losing a reward challenge, the African American tribe burns down it's own camp.

2. Day three - there are 6 more Asian tribe members that when the show started. The white tribe's camp becomes a gated community.

3. Day 6 Two of the Latino team are discovered in the White tribe's camp, hauling water buckets. They claim this is water no one else will carry.

4. Day 9 - hungry from the ordeal, the white tribe orders rice from the the Asan tribe, and it is delivered.

5. Day 9 - the Aisian tribe now numbers 27.

6. Day 12 - the White tribe wins reward, but tells Jeff Probst to stuff it, as they lite up a "fat boy" and pass it around, waving and smiling at the Latino tribe.

7. Day 15 - The Surpeme Court blocks the attempted merging of the tribes. The Asian tribe now numbers 54.

8. Day 18 - Memebers of the Muslem Tribe, not part of the show, kidnap Jeff Probst and demand the White tribe pull out of the island.

9. Day 21 - members of the Muslem tribe hijack the outrigger canoe from the White tribe and sail it into thier dock, spilling thier fish catch back into the water.

10. Day 24 - Dan Rather replaces Jeff Probst as host, and the show is immediately cancelled. cBS goes broke flying the 136 Asian tribe members back home.

NBC announces it's new fall line up, headed by the "Amazing Racists."

highnote
08-26-2006, 12:01 AM
I call your's humor. I don't know what to call Rush's. Of course, if Rush was quoted out of context no wonder I don't get it. Of course, even when he's quoted in context I don't get it -- but that says more about me than him. :D