PDA

View Full Version : SAR 9th 8/25

LaughAndBeMerry
08-25-2006, 05:33 PM
Is Castellano a crook, or just and idiot? Did he really think he was going to let Fleet Indian have a 3 length headstart and beat her? Castellano should feel pretty good about getting outridden by Santos.

Is there any doubt that Cordero or Bailey would have turned it into a 9F match race? I don't think any of the current generation of NY riders could carry Angel's or Jerry's jock.

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Bailey let Azeri dawdle on the lead with easy fractions in to 04 Go For Wand when he was aboard Sightseek. Sightseek could not get by the Azeri in the stretch. Sometimes things like thata happen.

cj
08-25-2006, 07:27 PM
In a Grade 1 stake for fillies, isn't it at least possible the connections would rather run that way and be second than try to take it to the HEAVY favorite and wind up off the board?

BIG49010
08-25-2006, 08:32 PM
How about his ride in the 10TH also, maybe he had an off day! :bang:

the_fat_man
08-25-2006, 09:24 PM
In a Grade 1 stake for fillies, isn't it at least possible the connections would rather run that way and be second than try to take it to the HEAVY favorite and wind up off the board?

Sound reasoning, especially given the setup of the race.

Albetrani was on the early show and he stressed that there needed to be pace in the race for his horse to run her best.

Of course, if they were going for the sure second, perhaps they wouldn't want their horse put into a drive from early MID TURN to the wire, IN A RACE SHE COULDN'T WIN. If this is my horse, he doesn't get on her again.

The ride wasn't terrible because Castellano didn't go after the lead with a horse that's a closer, this isn't Angel Cordero, whipping the shit out his horse going to the first turn to secure the lead and strongarming it to the wire,

but rather that he used the horse so much, ABUSED her, actually,

in a race where she could've easily finished second without being asked to run at all.

Seems to me, Castellano was looking to win the race.

LaughAndBeMerry
08-25-2006, 09:58 PM
She's a closer now because Castellano rides her that way. When Bailey rode her as a 2YO she forced a 1:10 3/5 pace in the Breeders Cup. I've seen every one of her races; she's got some tactical speed, he just doesn't use it. I'm not saying he should have gone head to head in 9 and change but if he sits just off her flank maybe she wins. Instead he beat the crap out of her to run 3/8 in probably 35 flat just to get close on the turn.

I don't think he's a top notch rider. I'd much prefer to bet Jose Espinoza or Migliore in NY. I think they're as good as Santos and Castellano (though a cut below Prado and Velasquez) and at least you get a price.

If I sound bitter it's because it cost me a $100 PK3. I think I need to move on.

the_fat_man
08-25-2006, 10:26 PM
Hard to make sense, from a tactical standpoint, why these jockeys always make that PREMATURE MOVE MIDDLE TURN. What I term the "IDIOT MOVE" cause getting the lead at that point does not mean you win the race, IDIOT.

They all do it. And all the horseplayers accept it. The trainers accept it; the owners accept it. And the jock agents just go with the flow, rather than still their IDIOTS down and discussing race shapes/tactics with them.

If the horse on the lead is strong, making a sharp, all out bid at that point in the race is flat out stupid. At best, you wear out the leader, and yourself and get nothing. At worst, the leader shakes you off and gallops home (or gets caught late by some suckup) and YOU STILL GET NOTHING (but get the best horse in the race beat).

If you're 2nd or 3rd to a loose horse

let the horse enter the stretch without asking your horse to run --you're already in the best possible position without having asked

if the leader runs out of gas, you win the race and more importantly you don't abuse your horse

if the leader has enough to wire, then the best horse wins and you still get 2nd and don't abuse your horse

damn, not like this shit is complicated

P.S. for an incredibly perfect example of the above see Edgar Prado's ride on Songster in the Amsterdam ---a flat out DUMBASS ride.

P.P.S. Edgar was at it again last week in the first race on Dutrow's horse--- the mare that was vanned off after winning. Edgar puts her into a drive and breaks her down when he can sit and coast home. Guess getting the lead EARLY was real important to him.

Incredible

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2006, 01:24 AM
Edgar puts her into a drive and breaks her down when he can sit and coast home. Guess getting the lead EARLY was real important to him.

Incredible

Wow you're an opinionated SOB! Edgar broke her down? How presumptuous of you.

BIG49010
08-26-2006, 09:14 AM
Prado is beginning to join what I call the "Safety Boys", if they have the best horse with room to spare, they win. Most of your horses you bet with a SB on them take the widest part of the track.

Current leader of the SB.

President Mike Smith
Vice President Santos
Secretary Castelano

Part-time member:

Clark Kent D. per the name he can be super in one direction or the other!
Prado

Non-Safety boys:

Garret Gomez he'll take a run at any hole, from anywhere

I'll eat you alive, just let me pin you on the rail Ebar Coa, it must be very scary being on the inside of him down the lane!

John V. rides like a crazy man most of the time, so he is hard to put him in any catagory.

Past Members: Most jockeys before they retire, are afraid to come up the rail, keep an eye out you will see them wide all the time, then they retire.
Review Steven's races in New York and Keeneland before he retired!

turfbar
08-26-2006, 09:50 AM
same same about Julie after her accident she never
rode "BAWLLSY" again.

T

the_fat_man
08-26-2006, 12:55 PM
Wow you're an opinionated SOB! Edgar broke her down? How presumptuous of you.

You know something, PA, it might really serve your purpose a bit better if you actually WATCHED the races you comment about.

Take a close look and tell me if Edgar didn't gun the filly when it wasn't necessary.

Not saying she's wasn't sore going into the race (who knows)

my only point is that the TRIP put unecessary pressure on her.

once again, WATCH the RACE

while you're at it, check out the Amsterdam

see what you think then

Tom
08-26-2006, 04:11 PM
Well, now, we can't all be as smart as you, can we?
Maybe you should take your Winky Dink magic scren of your TV screen so your could see the races better.
PA's purpose here has been just for years, without the benefit of your great insights.

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2006, 01:40 AM
You know something, PA, it might really serve your purpose a bit better if you actually WATCHED the races you comment about.

I have watched, and can watch the race again.....I can watch it 1000x, but I'm still not going to come on here and say he broke her down....silliness does not become me....

pjbc77
08-29-2006, 11:01 PM
In his day, Bailey was great at holding the hedge on the turf races and patiently waiting until anything he could get through opened up on the rail, and then sending the horse through. Don't remember him changing at the end, but maybe he did. John V will do this as well, but not many other jocks I have seen. On the other side of things, Mike Luzzi has to be one of the worst I have ever seen at getting a horse through traffic on the grass, in NY anyway. Have heard from a lot of people that he is a great guy though, so always feel bad saying that, but I will never bet on him on the grass, and anytime he is on a favorite that isn't a front-runner, I look at that race as a good betting opportunity.