PDA

View Full Version : Concepts/Rules/Theories vs. Application?

Cesario!
08-25-2006, 01:49 PM
In another thread, I wrote:

I believe that handicapping theories have value in their application and not in their existence alone. It's why I believe that handicapping knowledge/methods/general rules can be shared openly because not everyone applies the principles in the same manner or with the same skill. In fact, in our age of freely available information, I think that's what separates the successful from the failures in most endeavors.

I'm interested whether y'all agree or disagree.

Seth

P.S. I realize that the line between the two is sometimes very fuzzy...

kitts
08-25-2006, 02:03 PM
Cesario- I can readily agree-handicapping knowledge/methods/general rules can be shared.

Especially since the applications of these are difficult to teach and difficult to learn. But I have no trouble sharing my knowledge, etc.

Overlay
08-25-2006, 06:21 PM
Of course, the reasons for the reluctance to share handicapping knowledge center around the competitive, pari-mutuel nature of the game (in which increased public awareness of specific information results in lower payoffs); and the "traditional" handicapping approach of narrowing a field down to one horse through a process of elimination or the application of an angle, with no consideration of the horse's odds. But a basic grounding in general handicapping principles that can be used to separate or rank the horses in a field (such as the manner in which Ainslie structured his Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing) is still an essential skill, and one that can be taught or shared with minimal effect on profitability due to its general, wide-ranging nature. And tying the handicapping process to the evaluation of the actual winning probabilities of each horse in a field (rather than isolating one horse to be bet at any odds) can help minimize concerns about the dissemination of information on any one horse in any one race. It can also provide a sound basis for judging which horses and races to pass, which is just as (or more) important than knowing that any particular horse is most likely to win a given race.

twindouble
08-25-2006, 07:09 PM
Of course, the reasons for the reluctance to share handicapping knowledge center around the competitive, pari-mutuel nature of the game (in which increased public awareness of specific information results in lower payoffs); and the "traditional" handicapping approach of narrowing a field down to one horse through a process of elimination or the application of an angle, with no consideration of the horse's odds. But a basic grounding in general handicapping principles that can be used to separate or rank the horses in a field (such as the manner in which Ainslie structured his Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing) is still an essential skill, and one that can be taught or shared with minimal effect on profitability due to its general, wide-ranging nature. And tying the handicapping process to the evaluation of the actual winning probabilities of each horse in a field (rather than isolating one horse to be bet at any odds) can help minimize concerns about the dissemination of information on any one horse in any one race. It can also provide a sound basis for judging which horses and races to pass, which is just as (or more) important than knowing that any particular horse is most likely to win a given race.

I can't knock in general what your saying but I don't think handicappers here are reluctant to share their knowledge. What else can be said that hasn't been said here?? I know you have no problem sharing what you know and neither do I. Anyway, those that do share hardly ever know if someone picked up on what's being said and put it to good use. When it comes to board, that don't matter to me.

T.D.

dav4463
08-26-2006, 03:13 AM
There are some people that have lost at the races for their entire lives. You could show them something that would help their handicapping and these types will never listen because they will continue to do things "their way". Those that are willing to share and learn from others will continue to benefit in my opinion. It is just like anything else. Those who are willing to work hard and adapt to changes will be successful. Those who are set in their ways will continue to lose. You have to have those losers in order for you to be successful, so don't look down on the guy who always bets the favorite so he can cash tickets or the guy who always plays a 1-2-3 trifecta because he hit a big one in 1979, these types put money in our pockets!