PDA

View Full Version : Shuttle Computers

cj
08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Shuttle Computers (http://sys.us.shuttle.com)

Anyone have any experience with these? I have read lots of reviews, all positive. I am particularly interested in the X100 model.

BillW
08-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Shuttle Computers (http://sys.us.shuttle.com)

Anyone have any experience with these? I have read lots of reviews, all positive. I am particularly interested in the X100 model.

The only thing that I notice that is of concern for me is that it is powered by a brick. This probably isn't a problem, I just don't like the typical reliability of brick PS's.

What are you planning on using it for?

cj
08-25-2006, 12:12 PM
As a cross between a laptop and a desktop. I'll mostly use it home, like 98% of the time, but if I go away for a few weeks I want the option to throw it in a backpack and take it with me. I do have a new laptop I'm happy with, but I'm addicted to tech stuff. It is why my wife has a very nice vehicle, and I drive a POS Neon. Other than portability, the only advantage a laptop has that I can see is running on battery power, I feature that I never use. I sleep on airplanes. :)

Most importantly though, is the size. It is getting a little tough to explain to the wife having all these computers scattered around the house. Maybe if they are smaller, she won't notice. :jump:

JustRalph
08-25-2006, 12:38 PM
It is getting a little tough to explain to the wife having all these computers scattered around the house. Maybe if they are smaller, she won't notice. :jump:

I know the feeling. I am waiting on the cable guy right now. Moving my cable modem to the storage side of my garage on the ground floor of the condo. I just couldn't stand not having a dedicated room for a "racing office" as my wife calls it. I have 5 computers (couple of laptops) here and they are just sitting around. Might as well get them busy! It has actually been lots of fun putting it together. Bought myself an LCD/PC/TV yesterday. Picture in Picture deal. Run the computer in the backround with a window for HDTV........right on the monitor. Mounting another TV on the wall, this is gonna be a fun place to work and play! It won't interfere with the rest of the house. Which is code for........."does a man live here? "

BillW
08-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a business idea. Servers built into potpourri jars, vases and fuzzy toilet lids. :lol: :lol: :lol:

JustRalph
08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Hmmm, sounds like a business idea. Servers built into potpourri jars, vases and fuzzy toilet lids. :lol: :lol: :lol:

get on it! :bang:

Red Knave
08-26-2006, 03:30 PM
As a cross between a laptop and a desktop. I'll mostly use it home, like 98% of the time, but if I go away for a few weeks I want the option to throw it in a backpack and take it with me. I looked at that form factor a 1 1/2 years ago when I built my current desktop system. At that time I was primarily trying to build a multimedia system that was also a computer. I came away with more computer than DVD/TV/MP3 player but still got the stuff I wanted. I recall lusting after one mini model that had no fans at all (i.e. super quiet) because I was thinking of putting it in the living room but it was pretty feeble power-wise. Things have changed.

Other than portability, the only advantage a laptop has that I can see is running on battery power, I feature that I never use. I sleep on airplanes. :)Another advantage for laptops is that they can better take a couple of G's ( supposing it dropped off the coffee table :eek: ).

BillW
08-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Another advantage for laptops is that they can better take a couple of G's ( supposing it dropped off the coffee table :eek: ).

That is a good point to consider. The disk will be a bit more fragile in the shuttle than in a laptop. If it's for handicapping mostly with no critical data on board, then it's not so much of an issue - disks are cheap to replace.

Red Knave
08-26-2006, 05:50 PM
... with no critical data on board, then it's not so much of an issue - disks are cheap to replace.As long as you have a couple of CD's with current disk images on them ;)
Another thing is that notebooks will have most chips soldered in and boards and other devices are suspended with rubber or similar to take shocks better.