PDA

View Full Version : Nice Call Durkin

cj
08-23-2006, 04:19 PM
He called the winner right in the photo, but he called the horse by the wrong name the entire race, Mach One. At least he was consistent, but the horse's name is Mach Three.

bigmack
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
Bring in Marshall

BillW
08-23-2006, 04:37 PM
He called the winner right in the photo, but he called the horse by the wrong name the entire race, Mach One. At least he was consistent, but the horse's name is Mach Three.

Tom's slowing down :eek:

Jeff P
08-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Tom isn't alone. There have been about a half dozen races so far this Del Mar meet where I've been watching the race while listening to Trevor's call and had to stop and go "Huh?" He's miscalling his share too these days. Go back a few years and I thought they were both incredibly sharp - about as rock solid as they come. Lately I'm not so sure.

-jp

Tom
08-23-2006, 05:43 PM

2 pounds off. :D

hracingplyr
08-23-2006, 06:48 PM
Anybody see this guy lately? I would have to say that Tom is wasting away to a ton.

BIG49010
08-23-2006, 07:52 PM
He's had a few too many trips to the buffet table by the looks of him today on the Travers draw show!Needs to spend the winters at GP, instead of the resturants in Italy.:rolleyes:

jballscalls
08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
You guys are kidding with this right?? I hope you realize that probably everyday each announcer in the country mispronounces atleast one name wrong, or has a bad pause or something right?? Lord knows i blow horses names amongst other things all the time. I think most people dont realize it, because in most races people dont know the names as much as they know the numbers.

Durkin is far and away one of the best of all time, give the guy a break!!

classhandicapper
08-23-2006, 08:10 PM
While I was at Del Mar last week I started getting very used to "And away they go". :ThmbUp:

bigmack
08-23-2006, 11:25 PM
Trevor's miscalling his share too these days.
Arguably it's a "pent-up in the booth" kinda job so a little dust on any of em is excusable.

Denman has been remarkable for unflawed calls for many years with insight into the race that few offer.
Besides he's one of the few that has a bobblehead on the market

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/42/27/7f_1.JPG

Maverick58034
08-23-2006, 11:45 PM
A few weeks ago at Northfield (harness), I happened to watch the race (out of sheer boredom I think). Anyways, it was a tight finish between the 3 and the 4, and the announcer said the 3 won it by a head. After a long silence, the photo sign came down with the 4 as the winner.

The announcer simply said "whoops".

TravisVOX
08-24-2006, 12:24 AM
You guys are kidding with this right?? I hope you realize that probably everyday each announcer in the country mispronounces atleast one name wrong, or has a bad pause or something right?? Lord knows i blow horses names amongst other things all the time. I think most people dont realize it, because in most races people dont know the names as much as they know the numbers.

Durkin is far and away one of the best of all time, give the guy a break!!

Amen! See "Secret Line" not "Secure Line" !!

PaceAdvantage
08-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Tough crowd....

Hey CJ, perhaps Durkin is a closet speed-fig maker, and he was simply making a sly reference to the number he was going to give Mach Three....(get it? He ran slow, therefore he called him Mach One....ha ha? Ah,..never mind....)

BillW
08-24-2006, 12:25 AM
Tough crowd....

Hey CJ, perhaps Durkin is a closet speed-fig maker, and he was simply making a sly reference to the number he was going to give Mach Three....(get it? He ran slow, therefore he called him Mach One....ha ha? Ah,..never mind....)

I already took a crack at the speed humor... didn't fly :lol:

ELA
08-24-2006, 09:25 PM
Tom Durkin is still one of the premier racetrack announcers in the world today. Mispronouncing names or something of the like comes with the nature of the job. Cut me a break here. This guy is top notch. More importantly, he's a class act and a great ambassador for the industry.

He was the keynote speaker at the recent Hall of Fame induction ceremonies. If you weren't a fan before his speech, and you were there -- you were certainly a fan after his speech.

Eric

Tom
08-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Just my opinion, but every time I hear him, the less I like him.
I know of none worse.
Except maybe Willard Scott.
I would sooner listen top Richard Simmons. Hell-OOOOOOoooooo!:rolleyes:

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 11:29 AM
Little Andy and Liftin both called Mach Ride, Mach One in the Kings Bishop on todays OTB Show. That name is sticking.

PS Durkin's call will be interesting...lol

toetoe
08-25-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey cj,

Mach Three isn't what he used to be. He's a shell --- in fact, about a third --- of his former self.