PDA

View Full Version : Famous closer?

andicap
08-23-2006, 02:59 PM
Can someone provide me with the name of a RECENT champion on dirt who was a huge closer, male or female? I'm talking about the last year or two, not back to Real Quiet or Victory Gallop. I'm drawing a blank on this.

ryesteve
08-23-2006, 03:00 PM
Can someone provide me with the name of a RECENT champion on dirt who was a huge closer, male or female? I'm talking about the last year or two, not back to Real Quiet or Victory Gallop. I'm drawing a blank on this.
Let me be first in line of the wiseasses who are gonna say "Giacomo" :D

46zilzal
08-23-2006, 03:01 PM
what distance? was this one an Eclipse winner??

cj
08-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Stevie Wonderboy, though his career was limited.

Aldebaren, in 2003.

ghostyapper
08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
Afleet alex?

My first thought was Pleasantly perfect but I forget he never actually won an eclipse.

46zilzal
08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
Aldebaren, in 2003.
funny how his name went from ALDER -barron to Al-DEB- err- ON during a single season

Valuist
08-23-2006, 03:28 PM
What was the name of the horse that finished second, beaten a head by Silver Train? He was a West Coast based horse although he won a big stake at Belmont. He definitely faced tougher competition than LITF. I think he had a legit case as champion sprinter.

ghostyapper
08-23-2006, 03:30 PM
What was the name of the horse that finished second, beaten a head by Silver Train? He was a West Coast based horse although he won a big stake at Belmont. He definitely faced tougher competition than LITF. I think he had a legit case as champion sprinter.

Taste of paradise.

kenwoodallpromos
08-23-2006, 04:30 PM
At what pace?

toetoe
08-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Choctaw Nation, Borrego, Imperialism, even (gag!) Jazil.

toetoe
08-23-2006, 07:34 PM
Oops, sorry, mate. You did say *CHAMPION.* :blush:

DJofSD
08-23-2006, 08:55 PM
Gee, what a disapointment. I thought this thread was about Kyra Sedgwick.

twindouble
08-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Silky Sullivan comes to mind. That seems yesterday to me.

T.D.

twindouble
08-23-2006, 11:05 PM
How about John Henry, if you like come from behind horses he was exciting to watch. He has it hands down my opinion, so what if it was turf. Anyway, nothing great has come along in my mind in the last two years.

T.D.

kitts
08-24-2006, 01:42 PM
Yay Twindouble.
I saw Silky Sullivan live in a sprint race. He literally walked out of the gate and sure looked like he was admiring the scenery. He was a good 25 lengths out of it when the afterburner kicked in and he just mowed 'em down. It was a photo finish as most of his races were, but a very great and exciting closer indeed.

I realize this thread is about recent closers and I would never go off topic :o)

GaryG
08-24-2006, 01:49 PM
Yay Twindouble.
I saw Silky Sullivan live in a sprint race. He literally walked out of the gate and sure looked like he was admiring the scenery. He was a good 25 lengths out of it when the afterburner kicked in and he just mowed 'em down. It was a photo finish as most of his races were, but a very great and exciting closer indeed.

I realize this thread is about recent closers and I would never go off topic :o)I hate to admit it but I was there that day. Joe Hernandez never saw him coming until he called the finish for the radio. The PA was shut off before the wire in those days. Seems like Ole Fols and The Shoe were in the race.

TOOZ
08-24-2006, 02:30 PM
2003 Vosburgh at Belmont. Ghostzapper's close was one of the best I've seen.

alphonse
08-24-2006, 02:51 PM
hello every body----how about the most recent --empire maker and bird song--the best i ever saw was john henry

Valuist
08-24-2006, 02:58 PM
hello every body----how about the most recent --empire maker and bird song--the best i ever saw was john henry

Empire Maker really wasn't a closer. He was never that far from the pace. More of a stalker.

kitts
08-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Gary G-so you were there too. Some good times for us older dudes. And Ole Foles was the favorite that had to settle for Place money. And the Shoe was indeed there!

andicap
08-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Great answers! How did Giacomo slip my mind? Not a champion but a recent Derby winner who's still running. That'll do. Or Jazil, the Belmont winner.

joeyspicks
08-24-2006, 05:57 PM
my favorite closer of all time: Lit de Justice

won breeders cup sprint setting a track record

and set records at Del Mar and Santa Anita

twindouble
08-24-2006, 06:26 PM
On topic this time, just come to mind. Deep Impact but I don't think the horse has every raced here.

T.D.

Stevie Belmont
08-24-2006, 06:48 PM
Recent...How about Wilko....won the Juvy with a closing move. Not much else though.

bigmack
08-24-2006, 06:53 PM
my favorite closer of all time: Lit de Justice
won breeders cup sprint setting a track record
and set records at Del Mar and Santa Anita
Current stud fee: $6k
http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/isd/stallion.aspx?stallion_no=1268010

cj
08-25-2006, 06:51 AM
Great answers! How did Giacomo slip my mind? Not a champion but a recent Derby winner who's still running. That'll do. Or Jazil, the Belmont winner.

Giacomo and Jazil, those are no champions! Last time I try to help and provide a good answer. :bang:

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 09:52 AM
They may not be champions in the sense of any awards, but they did win classic races. So they in fact are the Kentucky Derby Champion and Belmont Stakes Champion. One was a bit of a fluke, but they can't take it away. I agree though, they are not true champions in my book, yet.

Ron
08-25-2006, 10:34 AM
They may not be champions in the sense of any awards, but they did win classic races. So they in fact are the Kentucky Derby Champion and Belmont Stakes Champion. One was a bit of a fluke, but they can't take it away. I agree though, they are not true champions in my book, yet.

Which one was the fluke?

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Oh Boy...Here we go. Giacomo.

cj
08-25-2006, 11:07 AM
I put Jazil's win in the Belmont on about the same level as the Lukas horse that won the year FuPeg and Red Bullet took the first two legs.

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
I think Jazil is better then him. At least Jazil shows up with that late kick pretty consistantly. He ran solid in the Wood. The Derby was not that bad, and he got the Belmont. Commendable won the Belmont...that was it. He was 18th in Kentucky Derby. Actually he was a steal in the Belmont as the lone speed. Hugh Hefner was a crappy sprinter. Day coddled him to an easy front running win. I was all over him that day. I don't think he ever won again. Frankel wanted to strangle the life out of Solis after his miserable ride on Aptitude.

1st time lasix
08-25-2006, 12:26 PM
Anyone remember Devil is Due? Used to close from the clouds at Saratoga. He could take your breath away. I liked Evening Attire as well. Great closers are always fun to watch ...tough to play. Choctaw Nation can bring in from the back.

KirisClown
08-25-2006, 03:25 PM
Mecke and Awad...

De Niro in his first couple of starts as a 2yr old..

Stevie Belmont
08-25-2006, 03:52 PM
I know were looking for recent champs, but Say Florida Sandy was a hard knocker who almost always gave a good late run in the lane. One of my all time favorites.