PDA

View Full Version : Internet betting Legalized in New York

samyn on the green
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
The crooks you were tricked into electing up in Albany finally legalized internet betting for NYRA/OTB this week. Thousands have been sending millions of NEw york dollars off to Ohio and Oregon with BRISBET and YOUBET for years while NYRA/OTB had thier hands tied by elected officials. Finally albany is letting NYRA have a chance at making money.

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=510332&category=SARATOGA&BCCode=LOCAL&newsdate=8/22/2006

bigmack
08-22-2006, 11:44 PM
This was already being done under our noses," Wray said, explaining that countless New Yorkers were believed to be making horse racing bets with wagering Web sites even though it was technically illegal to do so

Residents of New York heretofore have not been able to wager online legally?

Tom
08-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Shhhhhhhhh.
No betting here - nothing to see - keep moving, nothing here, keep moving.

LaughAndBeMerry
08-23-2006, 07:39 AM
Anyone have any idea about the legality of internet wagering in Connecticut? I might have to move there for a job and I figured I try to find this out before hand. I know CT has phone wagering, but I'm not sure about internet though a very of mine told me it was legalized last year. I know I can use my Youbet account to wager there.

Thanks.

LBM

bigmack
08-23-2006, 01:16 PM
Shhhhhhhhh.
No betting here - nothing to see - keep moving, nothing here, keep moving.
No big deal. Bernard P Fife is checkin out of Mrs Mendlebrights place with his hotplate and headin over to upstate NY to set-up a check point chicky. Cause if ya bet $20 today it'll be $30 the next day and ......

If that doesn't work we'll get Ernest T Bass to throw a rock through your window

otravez
09-12-2006, 01:36 PM
No way seeing Youbet outside US? Any idea, link or...?

wolsons
09-12-2006, 02:24 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wolsons
09-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Just to clarify, my laughing post above was in response to Tom's post earlier in the thread!

highnote
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
Anyone have any idea about the legality of internet wagering in Connecticut? I might have to move there for a job and I figured I try to find this out before hand. I know CT has phone wagering, but I'm not sure about internet though a very of mine told me it was legalized last year. I know I can use my Youbet account to wager there.

Thanks.

LBM

The attorney general of the great state of Connecticut, Dick Blumenthal, and his cohorts, in their infinite wisdom, have decreed that betting over the internet is illegal. I have emails from them stating this.

However, if you want to use your internet connection to dial-up CT OTB's touch-tone betting service and key in bets then this might be legal. I asked them about that, but they did not respond.

Also, if you want to go to hedgestreet.com and bet on the price of oil tomorrow or open an online brokerage account and bet on the price of corn, then that is perfectly legal.

Betting on a horserace is gambling. Betting on the price of oil is investing. ... see the difference?

samyn on the green
01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
Dejavu? This announcement was made in August now they are making it again? What is going on?

andicap
01-01-2007, 11:47 AM
Not that I would join, but does this mean TVG can begin taking bets in New York State?

Tom
01-01-2007, 12:34 PM
I think they are not committing yet.....I can see it being the exclusive realm of.....uhhgggg - OTB! :eek:

Now that it is 2007, isn't it time to just scrap this whole OTB idea thing. It brings nothing to racing, and is run poorly, and, oh wait, where else would political hacks get jobs for thier families? :bang::bang::bang:

highnote
01-02-2007, 12:59 AM
I think they are not committing yet.....I can see it being the exclusive realm of.....uhhgggg - OTB! :eek:

Now that it is 2007, isn't it time to just scrap this whole OTB idea thing. It brings nothing to racing, and is run poorly, and, oh wait, where else would political hacks get jobs for thier families? :bang::bang::bang:

Why do NY OTBs get a 5% surcharge over and above the track take?

If racetracks in NY can operate on 14 or 15% take, why can't NY OTBs? What expenses to OTBs have that make the surcharge necessary?

It's got to be a lot more expensive to run an OTB than a racetrack. Right?

Will OTBs get slots?

andicap
01-02-2007, 01:27 AM
OTBs get the surcharge because the extra monies go to the local communities and thus the charge is too popular politically to repeal.

Also you have to remember that the OTBs are an extremely powerful force in New York state politics because of all the patronage they have at their disposal.