PDA

View Full Version : Regarding DQ's..

sq764
08-22-2006, 01:24 PM
One question I was never clear on regarding decisions to DQ..

2 horses break away down the lane, then at the top of the stretch and #1 horse finally gets out and bumps the tiring #2 horse which briefly impedes his progress, but ends up running away and winning by 7 lengths. (the #2 finishes 2nd)

What is the judge's 'duty' in that scenario? Is he supposed to use the theory that the winner would have won regardless of the bump OR is he supposed to take it at face value and say that the winner impeded the progress of the other horse, thus causing him to take up?

abuttry
08-22-2006, 01:30 PM
One question I was never clear on regarding decisions to DQ..

2 horses break away down the lane, then at the top of the stretch and #1 horse finally gets out and bumps the tiring #2 horse which briefly impedes his progress, but ends up running away and winning by 7 lengths. (the #2 finishes 2nd)

What is the judge's 'duty' in that scenario? Is he supposed to use the theory that the winner would have won regardless of the bump OR is he supposed to take it at face value and say that the winner impeded the progress of the other horse, thus causing him to take up?

Didn't cost the 2 any positions so what would be the reason for disqualifying. In that case i would have to say leave it

cj
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
I have been saying for years that DQs should affect purse distribution only, not payouts. Most times, any changes to the order don't really put the fouled horses where they should be anyway.

Maverick58034
08-22-2006, 03:40 PM
In a perfect world, there would be a clear-cut set of rules and scenarios to follow in any possible situation...

But, each is unique, and personal interpretation is involved. What a steward at Saratoga thinks is acceptable can be quite different than a steward at Delmar. In addition, the value of the race (i.e. DQing a G1 winner, as opposed to DQing a CLM3200 winner) might be a factor (if they admit it or not). It always felt to me that rules were carried out slightly differently at major and minor tracks, but that could be a figment of my imagination. Along those same lines, the jockey and trainer who claim the foul may have some impact on the ruling.

I remember last year at Fairmount Park, our top trainer Ralph Martinez was DQ'd in something like 3 races in 2 days. Needless to say, he was not happy. On one of the next days, he had a horse run second, after receiving a slight bump before the wire -- nothing too crazy (or so it seemed). After a brief deliberation, he was placed 1st. Not all that surprising to be honest.

Just my $.02

-Mike