PDA

View Full Version : Question About Deleting Files

Hosshead
08-22-2006, 08:49 AM
I've got aprox. 4.5 GB of racefiles in one folder, that are formatted to an older version of a handicapping software that I no longer use.

I transfered them to DVD just for the heck of it.
Now I want to free up that space on my HD.

Will I get that space back if I just "Delete" ?
I read (the ads) that said you will get more free space back if you use a product like "Window Washer" or some of the others out there?

Does it matter ?

Thanks, Hoss

headhawg
08-22-2006, 09:25 AM
Hosshead,

You will recover the space IF you don't send the files to the Recycle Bin. I actually do use Window Washer because it will get rid of temporary files and histories as well as delete/overwrite files so it's a convenience for me. But it is unnecessary to just delete files.

Be advised that when a file is deleted in Windows the system is told that the space where the files are is now free to be written to which is why file undelete programs work. Until the space is actually overwritten the file is still "there".

HH

ghostyapper
08-22-2006, 11:41 AM
Winwasher and all those programs are a waste. You can manually delete everything you need. Once you delete those files and empty the recycle bin, you will recover the space.

JustRalph
08-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Winwasher and all those programs are a waste. You can manually delete everything you need. Once you delete those files and empty the recycle bin, you will recover the space.

Bingo! Unless you are wanting those files to be unrecoverable by anyone......like your wife, the FBI, The local police........etc........

But for most.........just delete them and empty the recycle bin

Hosshead
08-22-2006, 09:55 PM
Thanks guys. Guess I'll just send that folder to Recycle Bin, then delete.
Then Defrag ?

Dave Schwartz
08-22-2006, 10:16 PM
Shift-delete bypasses the recycle bin.

JustRalph
08-22-2006, 10:33 PM
Shift-delete bypasses the recycle bin.

I love a great tip! Dave! I had forgotten about that one............

Indulto
08-22-2006, 10:37 PM
Bingo! Unless you are wanting those files to be unrecoverable by anyone......like your wife, the FBI, The local police........etc........

But for most.........just delete them and empty the recycle binAfter installing Window Waher 5, when I right-click on the re-cycle bin. it gives me the option to "Shred Contents of Recycle Bin." I assume this wipes out the data in those files completely. Please advise if this is NOT the case.

headhawg
08-23-2006, 09:29 AM
After installing Window Waher 5, when I right-click on the re-cycle bin. it gives me the option to "Shred Contents of Recycle Bin." I assume this wipes out the data in those files completely. Please advise if this is NOT the case.Only if you have the "bleach" option on. Go to Options\Security and check the box for "Add Bleach to Wash" and choose the number of times you want Window Washer to overwrite the old file space. If you are not doing anything "illegal", then the DoD setting is probably sufficient. If you want to decrease the chances that someone could recover your files then choose a setting with a higher number of passes. The higher the number the more secure, but the longer it will take to "wash". If you choose the Guttman option, it would take serious forensic software to recover what you've deleted.

Winwasher and all those programs are a waste. You can manually delete everything you need. Once you delete those files and empty the recycle bin, you will recover the space.Really? Do you go into the Windows registry and manually delete the history of the files that you've opened? Do you completely delete your Internet browsing history (and I don't mean your temporary Internet files)? Do you have a way of recovering "slack space" (partial data from a deleted file allocated to a block of disk space) manually?

Give me your computer and 10 minutes and I'll find something that you don't want me to find that you thought was gone.

ghostyapper
08-23-2006, 09:58 AM
Only if you have the "bleach" option on. Go to Options\Security and check the box for "Add Bleach to Wash" and choose the number of times you want Window Washer to overwrite the old file space. If you are not doing anything "illegal", then the DoD setting is probably sufficient. If you want to decrease the chances that someone could recover your files then choose a setting with a higher number of passes. The higher the number the more secure, but the longer it will take to "wash". If you choose the Guttman option, it would take serious forensic software to recover what you've deleted.

Really? Do you go into the Windows registry and manually delete the history of the files that you've opened? Do you completely delete your Internet browsing history (and I don't mean your temporary Internet files)? Do you have a way of recovering "slack space" (partial data from a deleted file allocated to a block of disk space) manually?

Yes yes and yes

JustRalph
08-23-2006, 12:49 PM
don't forget that your internet browsing is logged on the DNS server normally located at your Service provider.............

ghostyapper
08-23-2006, 03:48 PM
don't forget that your internet browsing is logged on the DNS server normally located at your Service provider.............

Well if you can find some software that can remove that, then that won't be a waste.

JustRalph
08-23-2006, 04:33 PM
Well if you can find some software that can remove that, then that won't be a waste.

just a little tip for those who think there tracks are covered by erasing things on their home machines.............there is a way around it. But I won't tell.... :lol:

Tom
08-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Ralph, there's always the "Dell Option!"

JustRalph
08-23-2006, 06:42 PM
it works every time

Indulto
08-23-2006, 08:44 PM
Only if you have the "bleach" option on. Go to Options\Security and check the box for "Add Bleach to Wash" and choose the number of times you want Window Washer to overwrite the old file space. If you are not doing anything "illegal", then the DoD setting is probably sufficient. If you want to decrease the chances that someone could recover your files then choose a setting with a higher number of passes. The higher the number the more secure, but the longer it will take to "wash". If you choose the Guttman option, it would take serious forensic software to recover what you've deleted.Thanks, HH.
Why are so many passes needed to overwrite, anyway?

What is the best product for wiping a disk clean if one is going to donate a machine. Is there a way to do it without re-installing Windows and Office?

Also, what is best backup/restore technique and/or product for Outlook Express E-mail files?

KingChas
08-23-2006, 11:16 PM
http://privacy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=Evidence+Eliminator

Indulto
08-23-2006, 11:46 PM
http://privacy-software-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=Evidence+EliminatorThanks, KC.

headhawg
08-25-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks, HH.
Why are so many passes needed to overwrite, anyway?

What is the best product for wiping a disk clean if one is going to donate a machine. Is there a way to do it without re-installing Windows and Office?

Also, what is best backup/restore technique and/or product for Outlook Express E-mail files?You only need one pass to overwrite. However, if you are interested in making the data harder to recover then the more passes the better.

You should "zero out" your drive if you are going to donate your machine. Hard drive manufacturers have utilities that do that. Here is a link to an article that will help explain the process. Wiping hard disks (http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/mbr/WIPE.html)

As far as backing up Outlook Express, there are programs to do that but if you follow the steps in this article you can do it manually. Outlook Express backup (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278909) and OE corruption (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx)

Indulto
08-25-2006, 02:49 PM
You should "zero out" your drive if you are going to donate your machine. Hard drive manufacturers have utilities that do that. Here is a link to an article that will help explain the process. Wiping hard disks (http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3/asm/mbr/WIPE.html)

As far as backing up Outlook Express, there are programs to do that but if you follow the steps in this article you can do it manually. Outlook Express backup (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;278909) and OE corruption (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx)headhawg,
Thank you very much for your time and effort. I sincerely appreciate it.

csperberg
10-27-2006, 10:20 AM
Another tip for deleting files.

Right click on recycle bin and select properties. Then in the global tab you can set your deleting properties. You can select to always bypass the recycle bin, set how much disk space you want to dedicate(one setting for all drives, or each independently) to the recycle bin and if you want a delete confirmation or not.
Just remember if you set it to always bypass the recycle bin and take off confirmation, would hate to see someone set it and forget they did and delete something they didnt want to really.