PDA

View Full Version : Interesting admission

Secretariat
08-21-2006, 08:19 PM
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5685253

"But one reporter noted that the conditions the president mentioned for pulling out of Iraq resemble the country's status before the United States led an invasion of it.

"You know, I've heard this theory about everything was just fine until we arrived, and kind of 'we're going to stir up the hornet's nest' theory," the president said. "It just doesn't hold water, as far as I'm concerned. The terrorists attacked us and killed 3,000 of our citizens before we started the freedom agenda in the Middle East."

President Bush was then asked what Iraq had to do with the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"Nothing," the president said. He paused before continuing, "Nobody has ever suggested in this administration that Saddam Hussein ordered the attack. Iraq was a… the lesson of Sept. 11 is, take threats before they fully materialize.""

...hopefully, the settles that once and for all despite the suggestions by his VP.

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 08:39 PM
On what is Bush basing his conclusions? Is it the exhaustive, official government investigation into an Iraq / Al Queda / 9-11 connection? Oh yeah, that's right, there was none....so how does he know?

Once again Sec, it amazes me on what "Bush speech" you choose to hang your hat on, and other "Bush speech" you will do nothing but condemn, criticize, and ridicule....

Funny stuff.....

JustRalph
08-21-2006, 08:58 PM
If you think back to 2 years ago........ I was talking about an entire agenda for the middle east.........brought on by 9-11........more importantly he admitted this today.......once again you miss the big picture Sec! You go after the minute details and try to find something to go after the president on.......and miss the bigger stuff..........as usual.............

Tom
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
Settles what?
You're the only one in a tizzy about it.
Settle down.

Secretariat
08-21-2006, 11:24 PM
---from JR

"You go after "the minute details"

You have got to be kidding me. We've got 2500+ dead with over 50% of the people under the impression that Iraq di have something to with 911. An impression this administration fostered. Now he flat out says it - 911 had Nothing to do with Iraq. Bush's own words today. Gimme a break.

---from PA

"On what is Bush basing his conclusions?"

You are kidding me. I've been hearing here he's the Commander in Chief. He knows what's going on. Didn't Donald Rumsfeld describe it as a slam dunk.

The problem is the lies have caught up with them, and GW finally had the guts to admit it, and even when it comes from his own mouth, you still dont beleive it, but are asking for a study????

Funny stuff indeed to whom? The families of soldiers in Iraq who think they're avenging 911?

Even when the guy admits it, you have an excuse for him. How much clearer does it have to get?

He admits it and you still want to buy into it? Unbeleivable.

President Bush was then asked what Iraq had to do with the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks.

"Nothing," the president said.

rastajenk
08-22-2006, 12:03 AM
Rumsfeld called it a "tough slog." He didn't call it a slam dunk.

I also doubt there are very many, if any, family members of soldiers killed in action that think we are there to avenge 9/11/2001. I think most are smart enough to know we are there to prevent future 9/11's. That's been the case all along. You're positioning some kind of ex post facto strawman, that has to be the weakest rhetorical strategy of all.

PaceAdvantage
08-22-2006, 01:48 AM
He admits it and you still want to buy into it? Unbeleivable.

"Nothing," the president said.

You're damn straight I'm not buying into it....why does this surprise YOU of all people? You hardly EVER put stock into anything Bush says, but all of a sudden NOW YOU'RE A STAUNCH DEFENDER OF HIS WORDS? (this and the time he said he saw the first plane hit the WTC...don't forget about that one)

Give me a break....

Like I said...funny stuff....

You only seem to give credence to what Bush says when it suits your agenda. What a shocker.

Snag
08-22-2006, 08:57 AM
Sec, at the very least President Bush is leading this country in a specific direction. You may or may not agree about the reasons or the results.

I would much rather be moving than setting still. If we are moving we can always change direction, if need be.

If you are setting still, there is no changing direction. You just accept what comes your way. We have already experienced a 9/11 as a result of doing nothing.

Light
08-22-2006, 11:36 AM
On what is Bush basing his conclusions? Is it the exhaustive, official government investigation into an Iraq / Al Queda / 9-11 connection? Oh yeah, that's right, there was none....so how does he know?

And what do you base your conclusion on? Why don't you cite your sources for your illusions.

Secretariat
08-22-2006, 12:40 PM
You're damn straight I'm not buying into it....why does this surprise YOU of all people? You hardly EVER put stock into anything Bush says, but all of a sudden NOW YOU'RE A STAUNCH DEFENDER OF HIS WORDS? (this and the time he said he saw the first plane hit the WTC...don't forget about that one)

Give me a break....

Like I said...funny stuff....

You only seem to give credence to what Bush says when it suits your agenda. What a shocker.

One cannot be a staunch defender of his words because the manipulations continually change. His words though have affected the disastrous policies in Iraq, and now he says Iraq has nothing to do with 911. You refuse to see the malicious way he has used the horrific incident of 911 to justify his private agenda to invade Iraq, and to "use" that incident in a manipulative way to attempt to link the two. It's offensive, and dishonorable. Here's a few quotes closer to 911 from GW:

"The war against terror has reached our shores on September 11 and sacrifices in Iraq are vital to the future security of our country."

"Before 11 September 2001, many in the world believed that Saddam Hussein could be contained. But chemical agents and lethal viruses and shadowy terrorist networks are not easily contained. Imagine those 19 hijackers with other weapons, and other plans - this time armed by Saddam Hussein. It would take just one vial, one canister, one crate slipped into this country to bring a day of horror like none we have ever known. "

"We've learned that Iraq has trained al-Qaeda members in bomb-making and poisons and deadly gases. And we know that after 11 September, Saddam Hussein's regime gleefully celebrated the terrorist attacks on America."

"Some citizens wonder, after 11 years of living with this problem, why do we need to confront it now [Iraq]? And there's a reason. We've experienced the horror of 11 September. "

“We went to war because we were attacked, and we are at war today because there are still people out there who want to harm our country and hurt our citizens.” [6/18/05]

Governor George W Bush, speaking in 1999 on the campaign trail about Kosovo:

“Victory means exit strategy, and it’s important for the President to explain to us what the exit strategy is.”

...we're stilw aiting for that exit stragey GW.

And some other interesting info:

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines04/1028-01.htm

"Two Years Before 9/11, Candidate Bush was Already Talking Privately About Attacking Iraq, According to His Former Ghost Writer
by Russ Baker

HOUSTON -- Two years before the September 11 attacks, presidential candidate George W. Bush was already talking privately about the political benefits of attacking Iraq, according to his former ghost writer, who held many conversations with then-Texas Governor Bush in preparation for a planned autobiography.

"He was thinking about invading Iraq in 1999," said author and journalist Mickey Herskowitz. "It was on his mind. He said to me: 'One of the keys to being seen as a great leader is to be seen as a commander-in-chief.' And he said, 'My father had all this political capital built up when he drove the Iraqis out of Kuwait and he wasted it.' He said, 'If I have a chance to invade·.if I had that much capital, I'm not going to waste it. I'm going to get everything passed that I want to get passed and I'm going to have a successful presidency." Herskowitz said that Bush expressed frustration at a lifetime as an underachiever in the shadow of an accomplished father. In aggressive military action, he saw the opportunity to emerge from his father's shadow. The moment, Herskowitz said, came in the wake of the September 11 attacks. "Suddenly, he's at 91 percent in the polls, and he'd barely crawled out of the bunker."

Snag
08-22-2006, 01:37 PM
Sec, who do you think is our enemy? Who are we at war against?

46zilzal
08-22-2006, 01:42 PM
I think most are smart enough to know we are there to prevent future 9/11's. That's been the case all along. You're positioning some kind of ex post facto strawman, that has to be the weakest rhetorical strategy of all.
blowing up a country angering the already aggitated nutbars of the world is NOT going to prevent them from trying domestic terrorism but it going to give them MORE resolve than ever. No one is denying these crazies are out there, but going to Iraq is accomplishing NOTHING except getting a lot of people (on both sides) killed at the West's (and taxpayers) money for NOTHING.

rastajenk
08-22-2006, 01:53 PM
Short term, you might be right. Long term, you couldn't be more wrong.

46zilzal
08-22-2006, 02:21 PM
Short term, you might be right. Long term, you couldn't be more wrong.
what is this accomplishing???? enlgihten me.

JustRalph
08-22-2006, 02:56 PM
what is this accomplishing???? enlgihten me.

dead terrorists...........enough said. remember this guy? He wasn't killed in a wheat field in Kansas!

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/06/09/dead9606_wideweb__470x379,0.jpg

At the tune of 50 to one depending on who's numbers you believe

46zilzal
08-22-2006, 03:03 PM
for every one killed THERE there are twenty in training INSPIRED by that. This differnce is not about a place.

Poll: Opposition to Iraq war at new high

WASHINGTON, Aug. 22 (UPI) -- An Opinion Research poll suggests only 35 percent of U.S. residents support the war in Iraq, marking a low for the war's popularity.

The poll of 1,033 people conducted for CNN also found a record 61 percent of those surveyed oppose the war, the cable news network reported Tuesday.

Additionally, 51 percent of those polled said they see President Bush as a strong leader, 54 percent said they do not consider him honest, 54 percent said they do not think he shares their values, and 58 percent said the president does not inspire confidence, CNN said.

Real support as well.

Tom
08-22-2006, 04:21 PM

Bush, Rove Chenney.....:bang:

Snag
08-22-2006, 05:05 PM
Bush, Rove Chenney.....:bang:

:D :D :D I know he thinks that way, at least his posts suggest it.

PaceAdvantage
08-22-2006, 06:14 PM
for every one killed THERE there are twenty in training INSPIRED by that. .

Are you presenting this stat as a fact? If so, how did you arrive at it?

Secretariat
08-22-2006, 06:53 PM

My understanding from Bush's initial statments after 911 was that those responsible would be held accountable. To me that meant Bin Laden and Al Queda. Obviously, Bin Laden is still loose as is the number two man Zawahari, and Omar.

In March of 2002 GW apparently had forgotten when he said, "I don't know where he is. I -- I'll repeat what I said. I truly am not that concerned about him. I know he is on the run. I was concerned about him, when he had taken over a country. I was concerned about the fact that he was basically running Afghanistan and calling the shots for the Taliban.

But once we set out the policy and started executing the plan, he became -- we shoved him out more and more on the margins. He has no place to train his al Qaeda killers anymore."

That was March of 2002.

Our enemy are all who endanger our people and all who endanger the freedoms as set forth in the Constitution of the US.

Iraq?? As GW said, no WMD's, and no Iraqi connection to 911. His words, not mine.

Snag
08-22-2006, 10:43 PM
Sec, thanks. You confirmed what I thought. Your words, not mine.

And by the way, how is that RFI filing you said you were going to do?

Tom
08-23-2006, 12:14 AM
Sec, you might not know this, but some people can entertain more than one idea at a time!
Afghanistan was in retaliation of 9-11.
Iraq was a different issue.
Like Iran will be.