PDA

View Full Version : Boston Massacre Part Deux

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 01:35 AM
Wow! :eek:

:jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

cj
08-21-2006, 07:08 AM
That was ugly. There was better pitching in the LLWS.

OTM Al
08-21-2006, 07:53 AM
A few weeks back I was thinking both teams had pretty much equally weak bullpens. I am no longer of that opinion. The Sox are in serious trouble.

sq764
08-21-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't think anyone realized how much of a blow losing Varitek would be..

I think they will still squeak into the playoffs, but they have a lot of work to do.

GaryG
08-21-2006, 10:17 AM
Playoffs with no bs about the Red Sox Nation and the Bloody Sock?....Priceless!! Go Yanks! :jump:

sq764
08-21-2006, 10:25 AM
I will say this - after watching that pitching the entire series from both teams, I would be shocked if anyone beat the White Sox in the post season.

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 10:41 AM
Haven't the injured Yankees already fared quite well against the White Sox this year?

And what's with the fascination with the White Sox anyway? They are clinging to a wildcard spot, and their pitching, at least statistically, is WORSE than the Yankees.....

The Yankee staff has a better ERA, have allowed less hits, less runs, much less HRs, etc....

rgustafson
08-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Only four teams in all of baseball with worse team E.R.A. than the Red Sox. Those teams are the no hopers of Kansa City, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, and Washington. That's pretty much all you need to know about Boston.

sq764
08-21-2006, 10:53 AM
Haven't the injured Yankees already fared quite well against the White Sox this year?

And what's with the fascination with the White Sox anyway? They are clinging to a wildcard spot, and their pitching, at least statistically, is WORSE than the Yankees.....

The Yankee staff has a better ERA, have allowed less hits, less runs, much less HRs, etc....

White Sox have underachieved all year and have the most complete pitching staff this side of the Tigers..

Obviously anything can happen, but I would be shocked to see any team other than Detroit knock them off..

Hard to believe Detroit still hasn't woken up.. Amazing what a good manager can do for a team

JustRalph
08-21-2006, 11:08 AM
That was ugly. There was better pitching in the LLWS.

CJ, you are right.........and the pitchers were bigger too!

sq764
08-21-2006, 11:13 AM
CJ, you are right.........and the pitchers were bigger too!
Did you miss Sydeney Ponson :)

cj
08-21-2006, 11:15 AM
I think he has already been sent to the minors. The O's have successfully dumped Ponson and Javy Lopez. Not huge moves, but maybe a sign of good things to come!

headhawg
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
White Sox have underachieved all year and have the most complete pitching staff this side of the Tigers..

Obviously anything can happen, but I would be shocked to see any team other than Detroit knock them off..

Hard to believe Detroit still hasn't woken up.. Amazing what a good manager can do for a teamI wanna believe, sq, and one argument for the White Sox being in the postiion that they are in is that they have underachieved. The other argument is that last year most of their pitchers had career/near-career years so they were due to regress.

This team is so unlike last year's -- poorer pitching, lack of clutch hits, and a bit poorer on defense (although still very good). If they put it all together (which really means clutch hitting and pitching to near last year levels) they will win it again. They practically own Detroit, and the A.L. East teams really don't scare me although I admit that the YankMees have surprised considering the major injuries.

And the A.L. West teams aren't even worth mentioning.

This is a big series for White Sox/Detroit. My opinion is that whoever wins this series will win the division.

sq764
08-21-2006, 11:26 AM
I think he has already been sent to the minors. The O's have successfully dumped Ponson and Javy Lopez. Not huge moves, but maybe a sign of good things to come!
Guys like Ponson, David Wells, Bartolo Colon make it very difficult for me to defend baseball players to my friends as athletes..

I know they are the exception, but when you see a fat blob of shit like Ponson out there making millions, it's hard to take the defensive stance :D

ghostyapper
08-21-2006, 12:03 PM
What a shock this series has been. Yankees can do no wrong right now.

Whitesox might not even make it to the playoffs, let alone be a lock in the AL.

sq764
08-21-2006, 12:56 PM
What a shock this series has been. Yankees can do no wrong right now.

Whitesox might not even make it to the playoffs, let alone be a lock in the AL.
Twins have been doing it with smoke and mirrors, I don't think they have the juice left.. Red Sox look all but left for dead.

I think the White Sox should have a stranglehold on the WC shortly..

ghostyapper
08-21-2006, 01:07 PM
You don't go 48-17 with smoke and mirrors. They just took 2 outta 3 from the white sox without liriano.

When healthy their 1-2-3 make the white sox 1-2-3 pitchers look silly.

I know the white sox pitching was great last year for the playoffs but that is now looking closer to a fluke than their current state.

sq764
08-21-2006, 01:14 PM
You don't go 48-17 with smoke and mirrors. They just took 2 outta 3 from the white sox without liriano.

When healthy their 1-2-3 make the white sox 1-2-3 pitchers look silly.

I know the white sox pitching was great last year for the playoffs but that is now looking closer to a fluke than their current state.
Well, 2 things..

1) Liriano apparently may be out for the year.

2) Their #3 starter is 12-9 with a 4.35 era.. not sure if that exactly makes the Sox pitching look 'silly'..

They have a legit ace in Santana, but even he looks semi-human this year.

The only real difference in the White Sox pitching this year versus last year is Buerle.. Their top 3 starters are pitching just like they did last year.

And overall, the starter era this year for Minnesota is worse than both the White Sox and Yankees. If they get into a slugfest they are toast..

ghostyapper
08-21-2006, 01:27 PM
Both garland and garcia have era's over a run higher this year. Buerle's is almost 2 so they are not pitching to last years levels.

Santana is as dominant as he's ever been. I never said radke made them look silly. I said the first 3 starters combined made them look silly.

Whitesox caught a break with the liriano injury but I still think the twins will take them down to the wire. If liriano were healthy I think the twins would be the favorite.

sq764
08-21-2006, 01:52 PM
Both garland and garcia have era's over a run higher this year. Buerle's is almost 2 so they are not pitching to last years levels.

Santana is as dominant as he's ever been. I never said radke made them look silly. I said the first 3 starters combined made them look silly.

Whitesox caught a break with the liriano injury but I still think the twins will take them down to the wire. If liriano were healthy I think the twins would be the favorite.
Well that is the beauty of the game.. I personally think after Santana (and with Liriano out), the White Sox have a decided edge in the pitching department and a tremendous edge offensively..

I give the twins a lot of credit for being where they are right now

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Hey, who thought we'd have a pitchers dual so far with Lidle and Wells?

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey, not only is Lidle pitching a good one so far, but A-Rod is lighting up the infield defensively....will wonders never cease today?

And oh yeah, Manny is out of the game....gotta love that....

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 03:14 PM
And just like that, A-Rod commits a blunder trying to catch Cano's pop up.....back to reality.....

sq764
08-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey, who thought we'd have a pitchers dual so far with Lidle and Wells?
I think all the offensive players cannot lift their arms after the first 4 games..

sq764
08-21-2006, 03:19 PM
And just like that, A-Rod commits a blunder trying to catch Cano's pop up.....back to reality.....
I was shocked to see Green starting at third yesterday. Do they have that little confidence in him defensively?

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Did I say Cano? I meant Nick Green's pop up....

As for A-Rod DHing yesterday, it might have had something to do with Mussina and A-Rod not doing well together....A-Rod has 7 of the 15 errors committed by the Yankees with Mussina on the mound....lol

But Torre said he was giving A-Rod a day off from playing the field just like Damon got got on Saturday.....(odd move to take a healthy Damon out of centerfield at Fenway Park, don't you think?)

sq764
08-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Did I say Cano? I meant Nick Green's pop up....

As for A-Rod DHing yesterday, it might have had something to do with Mussina and A-Rod not doing well together....A-Rod has 7 of the 15 errors committed by the Yankees with Mussina on the mound....lol

But Torre said he was giving A-Rod a day off from playing the field just like Damon got got on Saturday.....(odd move to take a healthy Damon out of centerfield at Fenway Park, don't you think?)
I couldn't believe the look Jeter gave A-rod after they let the pop up bounce in between them against Baltimore..

I never really bought into the Jeter/Arod hatred before, but I am starting to think it's not that far fetched..

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
And the MASSACRE is complete.....

Where's Suff? Where is he? Come on big boy....you gots to be HURTING as we waltz into YOUR HOUSE and sweep you off your feet....FIVE GAMES man....FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES IN YOUR HOUSE!

Good night!
:jump: :faint: :jump: :faint:

Storm Cadet
08-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Where has Suff been? :confused:

OTM Al
08-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Haven't seen a smackdown in the regular season like that since the beloved Cubs went into Shea for a 5 game set in late summer 1984. Same result. Mets weren't done yet then, nor is Boston now, but its getting late a lot sooner than I figured/

Valuist
08-21-2006, 05:55 PM
Haven't seen a smackdown in the regular season like that since the beloved Cubs went into Shea for a 5 game set in late summer 1984. Same result. Mets weren't done yet then, nor is Boston now, but its getting late a lot sooner than I figured/

That was a little payback for 1969. Too bad Leon Durham had to mess things up w/a Buckner-like error against the Padres in the playoffs....

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 06:10 PM

Last I heard, he's been REAL BUSY with work....apparently, he's a mover and a shaker now at his current place of employment....

I was hoping this jolt of embarrassment would lure him out from under his stack of paperwork....lol

cj
08-21-2006, 06:31 PM
Well, there certainly wasn't any noise at Fenway this week to distract him from his work. Other than the sounds of silence, that is.

Bathless
08-21-2006, 06:35 PM
Saw a great line from a Sox fan on one of the sports blogs:

"The Red Sox killed my father, now they're coming after me."

OTM Al
08-21-2006, 08:09 PM
Can't stick that one on Durham. That was the 5th game. They had leads in all 3 of games 3 through 5 and lost every one of them. It was a team effort, just as Boston's 1986 crash was. Honestly don't think they would have beat the Tigers that year anyway, but it would have been nice to see them get in. Just like 2003. Make no mistake, I may cheer for the Yanks since I moved to NYC, but I would have been 100% for the Cubs that year. BTW Bill Buckner was the best thing going for the Cubbies during some really poor years. He will always be my favorite player.

PaceAdvantage
08-21-2006, 08:34 PM
It was good to finally hear Yankee fans at Fenway for a change....lol

melman
08-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Hey PA was that you with your broom out doing a little "sweeping" late yesterday afternoon. :)

GaryG
08-22-2006, 06:39 AM
Last I heard, he's been REAL BUSY with work....apparently, he's a mover and a shaker now at his current place of employment....

I was hoping this jolt of embarrassment would lure him out from under his stack of paperwork....lolIs all of this looniness just an act? He sure as hell can't act like that in business.

sq764
08-22-2006, 11:54 AM
It's amazing the difference in losing a catcher like Varitek can make.. They said that since he got hurt, the Boston ERA Is a full run higher than when he was catching.. Not to mention he was their captain.

No excuse for playing so poorly this weekend, but I think it's shows the importance of a guy like Varitek not being in there.. I would venture to say he is their Jeter..

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 12:14 PM
Its like I said I guess in another thread, Varitek was a huge loss. Especially since they have so many young guys on the pitching staff right now. Even if you could combine Mirabelli's defense with Lopez's offense, they would have close to Varitek's stats but still not have anything like his day to day presense. He, like Jeter, is the "glue" that holds his team together.

sq764
08-22-2006, 12:21 PM
Its like I said I guess in another thread, Varitek was a huge loss. Especially since they have so many young guys on the pitching staff right now. Even if you could combine Mirabelli's defense with Lopez's offense, they would have close to Varitek's stats but still not have anything like his day to day presense. He, like Jeter, is the "glue" that holds his team together.
Boy did Lopez shit the bed on that wild pitch yesterday by Foulke.. what a horrible effort.. Ended up costing them the game.

cj
08-22-2006, 12:26 PM
Unfortunately for Boston, most of the pitches never reached the catcher.

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 12:50 PM
I guess I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at Wells' effort yesterday after watching him pitch big time for the Yanks over a couple years, but he was doing a great job, though admittedly it was almost the B lineup he was facing. Heard he cleared waivers yesterday though. While this doesn't mean anything because basically everyone gets put on waivers this month, I would be interested to see if they try to do anything with him, though I would really doubt it

sq764
08-22-2006, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately for Boston, most of the pitches never reached the catcher.
The worst thing is the Red Sox poisoned themselves by bringing an Oriole to the team. He brought the losing with him!

sq764
08-22-2006, 01:14 PM
I guess I shouldn't have been as surprised as I was at Wells' effort yesterday after watching him pitch big time for the Yanks over a couple years, but he was doing a great job, though admittedly it was almost the B lineup he was facing. Heard he cleared waivers yesterday though. While this doesn't mean anything because basically everyone gets put on waivers this month, I would be interested to see if they try to do anything with him, though I would really doubt it
I could see a team like the Mets or Phillies trying to get him to get a guy with playoff and big game experience to help them in the playoffs (or at least trying to get in)

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 01:44 PM
I expect there would be some interest, but I can't imagine the Red Sox trading him. After Schilling they have nothing in the way of good starting pitching. Beckett I've felt all year was way over rated. Wakefield is a rolling knuckler away from getting belted out of the park with regularity, and the rest of the guys are rookies. Losing Arroyo is really hurting them badly right now. For all practical purposes Wells is their #2 best starter right now. We saw this weekend what happens when a group of rookies gets put under heavy pressure. This is one reason I am still reserving judgement on the Tigers going all the way. The young guys they've got are good, but playoffs is not the same as the regular season. Not saying they can't do it, but it is a test they have yet to face and their staff veteran is Kenny Rodgers who has already shown what he's made of in the playoffs and that ain't good.

sq764
08-22-2006, 01:55 PM
I expect there would be some interest, but I can't imagine the Red Sox trading him. After Schilling they have nothing in the way of good starting pitching. Beckett I've felt all year was way over rated. Wakefield is a rolling knuckler away from getting belted out of the park with regularity, and the rest of the guys are rookies. Losing Arroyo is really hurting them badly right now. For all practical purposes Wells is their #2 best starter right now. We saw this weekend what happens when a group of rookies gets put under heavy pressure. This is one reason I am still reserving judgement on the Tigers going all the way. The young guys they've got are good, but playoffs is not the same as the regular season. Not saying they can't do it, but it is a test they have yet to face and their staff veteran is Kenny Rodgers who has already shown what he's made of in the playoffs and that ain't good.
I think in about a week to 10 days, unless they go on a tear, they will be able to get rid of him..

Beckett is a career .500 pitcher, as was Burnett.. I couldn't believe the Sox and Jays overpaid so much for those 2..

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 02:05 PM
At least they've pitched some games. The Yanks got Pavano......hear he's about ready to come back. Joy.

sq764
08-22-2006, 03:48 PM
At least they've pitched some games. The Yanks got Pavano......hear he's about ready to come back. Joy.
Between Beckett, Pavano and Wright, they've stolen about $100 million from the Yanks and Sox

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 03:52 PM
I hate to say this, but Wright hasn't been quite as awful as I feared. I still don't understand letting John Lieber go and then paying the same amount to Wright and I won't be sorry to be rid of him, but I will put him in the "mediocre" catagory rather than the "sucks" catagory. He's a number 5 starter and for that, he's not awful. Of course he's being paid like a #2-3 guy....but the Yanks can afford it.

Here's a question for you. I thought about writing this a couple weeks ago, but decided it must be wishful thinking, but after what has been happening lately, maybe not. The question is, would you be surprised if the Yanks end up with a better record than Detroit? I kinda think they will. Yanks have 39 to go, Detroit 37. Tigers are 4 games better right now, but only 3 in the loss column.

sq764
08-22-2006, 04:07 PM
I hate to say this, but Wright hasn't been quite as awful as I feared. I still don't understand letting John Lieber go and then paying the same amount to Wright and I won't be sorry to be rid of him, but I will put him in the "mediocre" catagory rather than the "sucks" catagory. He's a number 5 starter and for that, he's not awful. Of course he's being paid like a #2-3 guy....but the Yanks can afford it.

Here's a question for you. I thought about writing this a couple weeks ago, but decided it must be wishful thinking, but after what has been happening lately, maybe not. The question is, would you be surprised if the Yanks end up with a better record than Detroit? I kinda think they will. Yanks have 39 to go, Detroit 37. Tigers are 4 games better right now, but only 3 in the loss column.
I think Detroit will level out a bit and still end up with 100 wins. I cannot see the Yankees winning more than 95.. I still think Chicago has a run left in them too.

Yankees and Boston have brutal schedules coming up.. Will be interesting to see how both fares

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 04:19 PM
Not sure I'd call the Yank's schedule brutal, though the next 2 weeks are not going to be easy. Boston's looks just a bit tougher and despite 6 games with KC, Detroit looks to have the toughest schedule of the 3. For the Yanks to win 95, they have to go only 20-19 the rest of the way. 100 would require 25-14. I would figure them to be somewhere in the middle 97 or 98.

sq764
08-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Not sure I'd call the Yank's schedule brutal, though the next 2 weeks are not going to be easy. Boston's looks just a bit tougher and despite 6 games with KC, Detroit looks to have the toughest schedule of the 3. For the Yanks to win 95, they have to go only 20-19 the rest of the way. 100 would require 25-14. I would figure them to be somewhere in the middle 97 or 98.
Next 3 series are tough - @ Angels, Detroit and Minnesota..

Sox have to rip off like 8 of next 10 to have any shot and hope the Angels continue to own the Yankees and have Minn and Detroit win a few.. That is the only shot they have to stay alive..

Suff
08-22-2006, 04:32 PM
And the MASSACRE is complete.....

Where's Suff? Where is he? Come on big boy....you gots to be HURTING as we waltz into YOUR HOUSE and sweep you off your feet....FIVE GAMES man....FIVE STRAIGHT GAMES IN YOUR HOUSE!

Good night!
:jump: :faint: :jump: :faint:

Our typical World Series Titles are won from the Wild Card position.

We're positioning ourselves...:faint:

OTM Al
08-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Suffs back! Takes a trooper to stand tall after a beating like that.

As for the Yanks schedule, those 9 games are the worst of what's left, excluding the 4 game set with Boston, but only 3 of those 13 games are on the road. Should have swept Detroit 4 in Detroit, so think they should be fine against them. They have always managed the Twins ok, so not too worried there either. Angels have been a big problem. Hoping for a 3-3 west coast swing. 4-2 would be great. The Sox should be out for blood in that last series. A split would be just fine there. Take 4 days off the schedule and lose no ground would only hurt the Sox.

Jake
08-23-2006, 01:17 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/tom_verducci/08/22/sox/index.html?cnn=yes

John
08-25-2006, 09:45 PM

NOW YOU ASK !!!

sq764
08-25-2006, 10:04 PM
Schilling vs Woods tonight - edge to a Sox win

Wright vs the Angels lineup - edge to a Yankmes loss

Would put it back to 4.5, 30+ games left.. Far from over IMO..

PaceAdvantage
08-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Sox got crushed....Yanks tied in 8th....

sq764
08-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Sox got crushed....Yanks tied in 8th....
they both lose - yankees win for the night.

Sox might be toast, they forgot how to hit

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2006, 01:31 AM
Why do the Angels have such a Svengali-like grip on the Yankees? They get them to lose almost every time! LOL

Boy, this post-Boston Massacre hangover sure threw the Yankees for a loop.

Good thing the Red Sox still suck or they might have been able to close the gap...instead, it's still 5 games....:jump:

sq764
08-27-2006, 01:36 AM
Why do the Angels have such a Svengali-like grip on the Yankees? They get them to lose almost every time! LOL

Boy, this post-Boston Massacre hangover sure threw the Yankees for a loop.

Good thing the Red Sox still suck or they might have been able to close the gap...instead, it's still 5 games....:jump:
they suck?

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2006, 02:09 AM
they suck?

To me, they'll always suck, but apparently, they currently suck for real. 'They' say this has something to do with Varitek being out, but don't they also have a nasty habit of packing it in after the All-Star break?

sq764
08-27-2006, 10:07 AM
I guess they took 2004 off to pack it in ;)

sq764
08-27-2006, 10:10 AM
To me, they'll always suck, but apparently, they currently suck for real. 'They' say this has something to do with Varitek being out, but don't they also have a nasty habit of packing it in after the All-Star break?
Do you believe the streak A-rod is on? Is this guy mental or something?

1 for last 15 with 11 strikouts

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2006, 01:46 PM
Do you believe the streak A-rod is on? Is this guy mental or something?

1 for last 15 with 11 strikouts

For once, I believe we totally agree on something concerning the Yankees.

sq764
08-27-2006, 02:30 PM
For once, I believe we totally agree on something concerning the Yankees.
I just cannot see how a guy this talented can look SO bad at times..

IF there was ever a guy that needed a sports psychologist, he is the one

PaceAdvantage
08-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I just cannot see how a guy this talented can look SO bad at times..

IF there was ever a guy that needed a sports psychologist, he is the one

Don't you remember this from last year?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/312785p-267598c.html

sq764
08-27-2006, 02:55 PM

Oh yeah..

Funny how he said 'might as well do it before the train wreck happens'..

If he isn't in the midst of that train wreck then I would be scared to see when it happens..

sq764
08-27-2006, 09:29 PM

Geez, he does get a hit today, but 3 more K's... That's unreal

2 for last 20 with 15 strikeouts..

That has to be some kind of record..

cj
08-27-2006, 11:10 PM
He is in almost as bad a slump as the Red Sox. They may wind up dismantled soon. Things haven't gone well since they let that Epstein guy go.

sq764
08-27-2006, 11:16 PM
He is in almost as bad a slump as the Red Sox. They may wind up dismantled soon. Things haven't gone well since they let that Epstein guy go.
I believe Epstein is back as their GM..

What hurt them was losing Varitek.. Losing your captain and leader would kill most teams.

cj
08-27-2006, 11:35 PM
You are right. Shows how much I follow that stuff.

If one guy kills them this bad, they need help in the off season. I think there is more to it than him. Speaking of head cases, shouldn't Manny join ARod seeing the shrink?

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Red Sox had a nice chance to pick up some games these last few days....it's a damn shame things now stand at 6.5......oh well.....

sq764
08-28-2006, 09:25 AM
You are right. Shows how much I follow that stuff.

If one guy kills them this bad, they need help in the off season. I think there is more to it than him. Speaking of head cases, shouldn't Manny join ARod seeing the shrink?
Yeah, it hurts to lose Wakefield and Nixon for a good portion of the year too, but every team has injuries, so that's really not an excuse.

And with Manny being out, Idon't think Youkalis puts thefear of God into pitchers, so why the hell would you bother pitching to Ortiz..

GaryG
08-28-2006, 11:22 AM
The Yanks had one devastating injury after another and for many games had to field a makeshift lineup of bench players. No excuses accepted from the RSN regarding injuries. I think membership in the RSN requires classes on whining and self flagellation. And no, one WS win does not a dynasty make, just ask Atlanta.

sq764
08-28-2006, 11:32 AM
The Yanks had one devastating injury after another and for many games had to field a makeshift lineup of bench players. No excuses accepted from the RSN regarding injuries. I think membership in the RSN requires classes on whining and self flagellation. And no, one WS win does not a dynasty make, just ask Atlanta.
Well, considering all the whiny Yankme fans in this world, I find this post to be mildly humorous.. But I don't really care about that part..

Try the Yankmes had injuries, but I have to wonder if they would be in the same position if they lost Jeter for 2 months (the equivalent of what happened to the Red Sox)

Boston is 8-18 since he got hurt.. I don't think it's a mystery as to why..
You can insult the Red Sox fans to your heart's content, but try to at least appear that you have some degree of baseball knowledge to understand why things happen.

GaryG
08-28-2006, 12:29 PM
Losing matsui and Sheffield for most of the season was a huge hit. Not to mention the starting 2B for a long stretch. Thing is, the Yanks had the reserves to keep the ship upright. Can you say Melky Cabrera? Good clutch pitching helps a lot too. With Boston....well they just suck, that about sums it up.

OTM Al
08-28-2006, 12:35 PM
They don't remotely suck. KC sucks. Pittsburgh sucks. Boston is a good team who's had their pitching staff held together with chewing gum and string much of the year. When Varitek came out, the string snapped. I think they are done now, but never say never in this game.

On another note, I see Pavano injured himself again. What a deal that guy was. Might as well just have him start a workout program so he can get injured again next spring training.....

sq764
08-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Losing matsui and Sheffield for most of the season was a huge hit. Not to mention the starting 2B for a long stretch. Thing is, the Yanks had the reserves to keep the ship upright. Can you say Melky Cabrera? Good clutch pitching helps a lot too. With Boston....well they just suck, that about sums it up.
Not worth discussing with you, you just don't get it..

Yes, the Red Sox just suck. You win.

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2006, 07:16 PM
Try the Yankmes had injuries, but I have to wonder if they would be in the same position if they lost Jeter for 2 months (the equivalent of what happened to the Red Sox)

I don't think the Yankees would be nearly as affected by losing Jeter for 2 months as the Red Sox have been to date by losing Varitek....

Sure, they would miss his clutch hitting and sparkling defense every once in a while, but Varitek was the general on the field and the commander of that pitching staff. The Yankees have already shown that losing two very good all-around players (Matsui and Sheffield) doesn't phase them all that much....

Suff
08-28-2006, 08:08 PM
I don't think the Yankees would be nearly as affected by losing Jeter for 2 months as the Red Sox have been to date by losing Varitek....

The pain is deep. Particulary on this West coast swing. I look at the paper in the morning with a feeling of dread....On the subway my face goes through various states of contortion while I scan the box score.

Sucks. I prefer winning.

PaceAdvantage
08-28-2006, 08:11 PM
PS. Yankees magic number is 27.....:lol:

sq764
08-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Tonight - no Ortiz, no Manny.. Wow. what a bad lineup

OTM Al
08-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Looks like Papi is out indefinately with an irregular heartbeat. With him out and Manny having knee troubles Boston is now up the creek sans paddle or boat. This next month may be bloody up in Beantown. A real shame.

cj
08-29-2006, 09:45 AM
The Red Sox are actually 2 games below 500 against American League teams.

sq764
08-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Looks like Papi is out indefinately with an irregular heartbeat. With him out and Manny having knee troubles Boston is now up the creek sans paddle or boat. This next month may be bloody up in Beantown. A real shame.
Yeah it's safe to say looking at the lineup yesterday made me want to vomit..

OTM Al
08-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I know it has been said by some analysts but I also believe that the real key move that turned out to be a negative for this season was trading away Arroyo. Willie Mo is a big big man, but the Sox already had a couple guys like that. One absolute in baseball is that you never have enough pitching and I have to think that Theo really blew it on that one. Of course he is due credit for getting Loretta for Mirabelli and then getting Mirabelli back for nothing. Could be another weird winter up there again.

Suff
08-30-2006, 10:56 AM
PS. Yankees magic number is 27.....

Well, Our season is over. On to next year. Hopefully Ortiz will be alive?

I still have my hate rooting to enjoy. I wish only painful and agonizing loss's in the playoffs for the Yankees. I could get equal pleasure from a sweep, or a painful 7th game blowout. Of course nothing can happen that will out do the epic beating we put on NY in the 2004 AlCS. I'm ashamed to admit that those 4 straight wins, that lead to a 4 game sweep of STL is all I need in my lifetime. Yes... there are still moments when I break into a shit eating grin when I think of 04. I'm a simple man. That whooping and the World Title is all I need.:D

I understand you were introduced to my Federal Hill Consigliare a couple of weeks ago in Saratoga? Tommy from Providence handles some business for the Nation. He tells me you were dressed in Full body Yankee attire? He also tells me he gave you a little diggity about your "get up"?....:D Tommy's a good man...he was acting on my behalf when he gave you that small mouthful.:p

Do you recall how personally offended I was when you wore your Yankees cap to TOGA1? :D ... I certainly wouldn't have allowed you to go full body armor had I been there this year.....:eek:

I wish you the very worst of fortune in the Playoffs.

GaryG
08-30-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm ashamed to admit that those 4 straight wins, that lead to a 4 game sweep of STL is all I need in my lifetime. Yes... there are still moments when I break into a shit eating grin when I think of 04. I'm a simple man. That whooping and the World Title is all I need.:D Good thing because it doesn't look like there are any more on the horizon. Bucky Dent!.... Bill Buckner! :jump: