PDA

View Full Version : How the House Supports the Troops

Secretariat
08-18-2006, 10:29 PM
House and Senate versions of the 2007 Defense appropriation bill contain $7 million for the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center — half of what the center received last fiscal year. (They asked for 19 million compared to 14 million due to the increasing numbers of brain injuries.)

This desptie the fact that the number of roadside bombs planted in Iraq rose in July to the highest monthly total of the war despite the killing of the terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi.

"We have them in the last throes." - Dick "Snakes on a Plane" Cheney

"Mission Accomplished." - George "What's the Constitution" Bush.

Secretariat
08-19-2006, 07:42 AM
I noticed none of the Iraq war gung ho posters have responded to this.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-08-08-brain-center_x.htm

"Center for war-related brain injuries faces budget cut
By Gregg Zoroya, USA TODAY

Congress appears ready to slash funding for the research and treatment of brain injuries caused by bomb blasts, an injury that military scientists describe as a signature wound of the Iraq war.

House and Senate versions of the 2007 Defense appropriation bill contain $7 million for the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center — half of what the center received last fiscal year.

Proponents of increased funding say they are shocked to see cuts in the treatment of bomb blast injuries in the midst of a war.

"I find it basically unpardonable that Congress is not going to provide funds to take care of our soldiers and sailors who put their lives on the line for their country," says Martin Foil, a member of the center's board of directors. "It blows my imagination.""

...Also if you support the troops, other than rhetoric, check out these spots

http://www.iava.org/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1874&Itemid=105

And contribute to this group -

http://operation-helmet.org/

...the above is especially important if this obscene legistation is passed, and in lieu of the alleged criminal action by the body armor low life executives the other day.

Tom
08-19-2006, 08:26 AM
I noticed none of the Iraq war gung ho posters have responded to this.

Uh, night time.
Believe it or not, your "whines" are not for breakfast - OJ is better!

kenwoodallpromos
08-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I have been anti-Iraq war for awhile, but I will respond- I never joined any veteran's groups because their people that I talk to says they stay away from politics- all they do is try to kiss up to politicians instead of standing up to them, then they complain when they do not get what they want. Just like the active duty- they just shut the hell up until they retire with their safe little retirement incomes then when they say anything they are washed up has beens who no one pays attention to unless it fits their agenda.
Neither grouip has the guts to stand up and be counted when it matters because they each have their own little agendas- sort of like handicappers.

Secretariat
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
Ken,

But do you beleive in the House's attempt to cut the current 14 mil for Veterans Head injuries in half when in fact the number of these injuries is increasing? Don't you find it hypocritical to be spouting off about "supporting the troops" when Congress fails to fund some of those who have taken the largest actual hits from the war itself. It's pretty damn appalling.

kenwoodallpromos
08-20-2006, 02:26 AM
It is insane to cut money for troops, especially when the benifit is very personal, like this, body armor, etc. Even worse when we are at war.
Unforunately, this is often done regardless of which party is in office. That is why I mostly vote 3rd party.

Lefty
08-20-2006, 11:44 AM
First I heard aboit it. So, firstoff, who sponsored the bill?

Tom
08-20-2006, 12:28 PM
How about we use all that money the waste on PBS to make up the difference? Right now, it's 400 million.
Then, NPR.......

boxcar
08-20-2006, 12:33 PM
How about we use all that money the waste on PBS to make up the difference? Right now, it's 400 million.
Then, NPR.......

And let's not forget the radio broadcasting company who steals from little kids -- Air AmeriKa.

Boxcar

kenwoodallpromos
08-20-2006, 01:07 PM
AA radio is one of my buttons- just go there and hear all Bush jokes all day long!
PBS is just the opposite- too serious too much.
Since I watch PBR (Professional Bull Riders) on tv, I thought PBS stood for Professional Bull Sh___ers!LOL!!

Secretariat
08-20-2006, 02:30 PM
First I heard aboit it. So, firstoff, who sponsored the bill?

It's in the Defense Appropriation Bill, but trying to find exactly who made this slash is difficult as no one wants to fess up it appears. THe bottom line is it passed in the House and is now in the Senate.

Now Lefty, you tell me how it is justified to give legislative pay raises when we are cutting in half funding for traumatic brain injries for vets whic his being lambasted by the VFW, the american Legion and just about every veteran group across the board. This should NOT be a partisan issue. This funding MUST be restored.

From the Army Times on the VFW outrage on this bill.

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-2044177.php

August 18, 2006

VFW lambastes plan to cut brain-injury research

By Rick Maze
Staff writer

Possible cuts in funding for research into treatment of traumatic brain injuries are drawing sharp criticism from Veterans of Foreign Wars, the largest organization of combat veterans.

Jim Mueller, the VFW’s commander in chief, said a proposal before Congress for a 50 percent cut in funding “clearly indicates that the Congress is out of touch with the realities and consequences of war.”

“You either take care of the troops or you do not,” said Mueller, a Vietnam War veteran.

“For our nation’s lawmakers to deny advanced research that our military has earned with their blood, and for those same lawmakers to espouse patriotism and ‘Support the Troops’ rhetoric from the podium this election year, is shameful, hypocritical, and ignorant,” he said. “This research center is an investment in the future potential of traumatically disabled soldiers. It is not an expense.”

Mueller was referring to the $7 million cut in the Defense and Veterans Brain Injury Center budget approved by the House and pending in the Senate. The cut, from a $19 million request, would be part of the 2007 defense appropriations bill.

The brain injury center is located in Washington, D.C., near Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

“It is absolutely inexcusable that lawmakers would slash funding during a time of war for a research center that is earning its keep by addressing the exact types of injuries our troops are suffering,” Mueller said.

“More than 12,000 servicemen and women have been exposed to horrendous explosions in Iraq and Afghanistan that have caused more than half of our casualties. Better tactics, body armor and battlefield medicine are saving more lives, but there’s no safety net that’s practical or employable that can prevent fragile human bodies from suffering traumatic and oftentimes lifelong injuries,” he said.

Mueller said he hopes the VFW complaints can sway lawmakers to add money before a final version of the funding bill passes. "

and from USAToday

"George Zitnay, co-founder of the center, testified before a Senate subcommittee in May that body armor saves troops caught in blasts but leaves many with brain damage. "Traumatic brain injury is the signature injury of the war on terrorism," he testified.

Zitnay asked for $19 million, and 34 Democratic and six Republican members of Congress signed a letter endorsing the budget request. "

and another article on it -

http://www.projo.com/news/bobkerr/projo_20060811_frico11.1fc69b7.html

We don't agree on much here, but this is one I think everyone can get behind. Write your senators I have. (Enough info Tom?)

Tom
08-20-2006, 03:39 PM
My senators (NY) can't read.:(