PDA

View Full Version : Good News From YouBet

azmike
09-10-2002, 03:29 AM
I have been very pleased with YouBet and hope they succeed. Now, my bias is stated and the below article indicating YouBet had it's best handle ever last month strikes me as good news:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=11389

MikeDee
09-10-2002, 07:52 AM
There still hanging in there... I would guess that those that continually predict that they are going under in 6 mos. will have to extend their predictions a little further out.:)

GR1@HTR
09-10-2002, 09:13 AM
This is good news. I noticed that the DMR website has a link for online wagering and it directs the viewer to either Youbet or TVG. It is about time. Partnerships and a joint effort to make this work is well overdue. They have such an uptapped market out there because your average racetrack patron has no idea that you can wager online. At least that is how it is at LS. 90% of the folks that go the simulcast center out there have no clue about phone or internet wagering. It is truly amazing. If Youbet can target those stiffs then that is when they will truly hit the jackpot. Perhaps they should have independent reps or marketing personnel in each regional area to try and educate the regular simulcast zombie.

GO!
FIGHT!
WIN, ONLINE!

ranchwest
09-10-2002, 09:28 AM
Race tracks are in a great position to be able to offer a full menu of wagering options, but instead are going the route of exclusive rights and it is bad for patrons and therefore will be bad for the industry. If this were an industry on the rise, such as cable television was when they went into exclusive arrangements, it would survive its own ignorance (as cable TV did), but such is not the case with horse racing.

rrbauer
09-10-2002, 01:03 PM
I like YouBet as do most of the PA folks.

But, when you run the numbers it just doesn't work (for YouBet, TVG, etc.). 16.7 million in handle translates to about $1 million in revenue if you're getting to keep all of the approx. 6% commission. YouBet has to surrender part of its commission to TVG in order to get handle from the TVG-exclusive tracks so their revenue from the stated handle is probably less than $1 mil....for their best month ever!

In the period ended June 30, 2002, their average monthly operating expenses were over $2.5 mil.

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2002, 11:46 AM
Yes, I hope "success" stories such as this 'record handle for the month' isn't a case of too little, too late.....

==PA