PDA

View Full Version : Races for First Time Starters Only

thoroughbred
08-18-2006, 11:42 AM
Maybe this has been thought of before, but I haven't heard of it.

We have special categories for races, based on class, how often they have won, etc. Wouldn't it be a useful, and interesting thing, if there were races that were limited to First Time Starters Only?

In other words, the very first time a horse is raced, it has to be in a race where there are only first time starters.

If this were done, we would have a better idea of capability for their future races. And those who like to handicap First Time Starters, based on pedigree, trainers, workouts, etc. would still be able to do so in such races.

What think you?

Alan Wight
08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Makes sense to me. In fact, I'd like to see first time starters restricted to races for first time starters. Doesn't France already card races limited to first time starters? I don't think it's opposition from handicappers that prevents such races from being put on in the US.

stu
08-18-2006, 12:25 PM
While I worked at Prairie Meadows during the thoroughbred meet, I proposed this to Dan Doocy, the racing secretary. He thought about it for several days.

I thought that it would help get those just training out of the barn and on to the track. In the end, Dan decided not to try it. The fear was that it would then create a demand for maiden races restricted to second-time starters etc.

Stu

Valuist
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I believe France does have races limited to first time starters.

One thing I'd like to see is the training races for unraced horses. The Fair Grounds requires horses to participate in a training race before they make their debut in a pari-mutuel race. This definitely helps protect the public, as the insiders have a big edge with all the unknown quantities. In most parts of the country, workout info is questionable, at best.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about lumping all the FTS together. It would be very easy to pass wagering on these races but I do like races where there's a small number of FTS and they are getting heavily bet. In general, I think first time starters are overbet relative to their experienced rivals.

46zilzal
08-18-2006, 12:40 PM
One thing I'd like to see is the training races for unraced horses. The Fair Grounds requires horses to participate in a training race before they make their debut in a pari-mutuel race. This definitely helps protect the public, as the insiders have a big edge with all the unknown quantities. In most parts of the country, workout info is questionable, at best.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about lumping all the FTS together. It would be very easy to pass wagering on these races but I do like races where there's a small number of FTS and they are getting heavily bet. In general, I think first time starters are overbet relative to their experienced rivals.

agree 100% ...........maybe 150%

Tom
08-18-2006, 12:52 PM
What happens when you run out of full fileds?
Now you own a FTS and cannot run it because none of the races fill.
I think owners would not care for this.

Ron
08-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Would that be safe?

bigmack
08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
I think it's fairly safe but the side effects are brutal

http://images.bigoo.ws/content/clip/funny/funny_44.gif

Tom
08-18-2006, 08:03 PM
Talk about short fields! :p