PDA

View Full Version : WARNING! All FX users

Dick Schmidt
09-10-2002, 02:49 AM
To All users of Windows FX. All versions.

Just got off the phone with a friend who is a serious computer boffin, and he warned me that Microsoft just released a fix that everyone who used FX needs to get RIGHT NOW! I don't run FX, but I wanted to warn those that do.

Apparently the entire computer security community has known about this for weeks, but no one would talk about it because it is such a huge security flaw. Anyone who knows about this can wipe files off your hard drive if you click on a button on a web site or you receive an e-mail. And no, you don't need to open an attachment for it to do its dirty work, just receive it. On ANY e-mail program.

Today Microsoft released a fix, which is called Service Pack #1. If you are using FX, please go get this ASAP, because once the news is out, apparently almost anyone can create a program that can wipe out huge chunks of data. It can erase your Windows directory, which turns your computer into a doorstop, or anything else. Since it has now been talked about on newsgroups and the news, it is sure to spread like wildfire as the Destructo Kiddies find out about it and how easy it is to utilize.

Go get this from Microsoft. Service Pac(k?) #1. I'm told it is a big download, so set aside some time.

Dick

MikeDee
09-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Well I guess I'm not using it, since I don't know what FX is, at least I hope not.:confused:

andicap
09-10-2002, 08:36 AM
Ditto, what the heck is FX, other than Factor X (1st and 3rd fractions)?

:confused:

Larry Hamilton
09-10-2002, 11:07 AM
he means windows XP..and it takes a looooooooooooong time even with broadband to get it fixed up..on the screen you are on, go to tools, and click on "windows update"..you are going to be there a while-take awalk

of course, if he really means Windows FX, then he is actually talking about a Sartin calculation that only applies to Window's sprints.

GR1@HTR
09-10-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Larry Hamilton
of course, if he really means Windows FX, then he is actually talking about a Sartin calculation that only applies to Window's sprints.

For maidens and non maidens? What about sloppy tracks or big class droppers. I'm always confused by this especially when ther are layoff horses, strong winds and also high barometric pressures. Just don't know when to pass or play. Wonder what Brohammer thinks about this. If turn time was so important why did he create a factor that considers the all pace factors but the most important one...turn time...Maybe a better name for Fx should of been "AP minus Fr2"

Lefty
09-10-2002, 12:19 PM
I loved Dos. I went kicking and screaming into Windows only when I had to. My friends said, "But Chuck, you're gonna love Windows.
Yeah, right.

Dick Schmidt
09-10-2002, 06:23 PM
OOOps! I meant, of course, Windows XP, not FX. Oh well, we all make mistakes, and that was mine for the year. I must have been thinking of Factor X, one of the old Sartin ratings.

This is not a virus or worm security alert, it is instead a huge, gaping security hole in the XP operating system. It makes it easy for anyone to create a web site or e-mail that can erase parts of your hard drive. If you don't trust the service pack, you are leaving yourself wide open to every half-assed hacker out there.

Dick

so.cal.fan
09-10-2002, 10:14 PM
I just followed the update directions and downloaded and installed.
Is that all I have to do?
Thanks in advance.

Tom
09-10-2002, 10:18 PM
I like to wati a while before
i buy a new version of Windows@ - to giv ethem time to fix all the things they forget before the sell it - like security.
I just got Windows98 this year.....but I still got a copy of '95 stashed away just in case <G> (in my sock drawer,next to my Dos 3.2 disk)

PaceAdvantage
09-11-2002, 11:28 AM
I'm sort of in Tom's camp. I'm still on 98SE. See no need to upgrade yet.....

==PA

PS. Dick, thanks for the warning.....