PDA

View Full Version : Tunnels, Traffickers, Terrorists, and Talks

Indulto
08-17-2006, 04:17 AM
Feds Arrest Mexican Drug Tunnel Kingpin By Jesus Sanchez
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-081606felix,0,6485528.story?coll=la-home-headlines (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-081606felix,0,6485528.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

Anybody know what, if anything, the Israelis did about the Hezbollah tunnels in Lebanon and Israel?

Anybody know if the Frederick Forsythe novel about tunnels used by the Viet Cong was based on fact?

While contemplating this common, covert, challenge posed by convicted criminals, terrorists, and smugglers alike, it came to me why we can’t refuse to directly negotiate with our undemocratic adversaries. They don't really represent ALL the inhabitants they control any more than the Mexican Drug Lords represent the Mexican people.

For example, despite the reports of increased support for Hezbollah in Lebanon and elsewhere (some of which HAS to be propaganda), one has to wonder what ALL those people who are under Hezbollah’s domination would say about disarming them if they were truly free to speak their minds?

Talking to our enemies is NOT the same as giving in to them, and if the reasons for discussion are publicized as well as our point of view (once talks are underway), it sends a message to the intimidated and oppressed that we are aware of their plight. For those with any doubt about their current leadership, it feeds that doubt.

Most importantly, if there is any possibility for resolving our differences with Iran, an opportunity will not not have been overlooked. The President would do well to consider the advantage of being able to say “we tried, and now have no other options,” provided of course there is bi-partisan participation in such talks to verify that position.

Think of it as tunneling past the adversarial leadership in order to address the people. This time around we have to accurately assess what portion of the Iranian population would truly prefer to avoid war and give them every opportunity to prove it.

twindouble
08-17-2006, 09:15 AM
Feds Arrest Mexican Drug Tunnel Kingpin By Jesus Sanchez
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-081606felix,0,6485528.story?coll=la-home-headlines (http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-081606felix,0,6485528.story?coll=la-home-headlines)

Anybody know what, if anything, the Israelis did about the Hezbollah tunnels in Lebanon and Israel?

Anybody know if the Frederick Forsythe novel about tunnels used by the Viet Cong was based on fact?

While contemplating this common, covert, challenge posed by convicted criminals, terrorists, and smugglers alike, it came to me why we can’t refuse to directly negotiate with our undemocratic adversaries. They don't really represent ALL the inhabitants they control any more than the Mexican Drug Lords represent the Mexican people.

For example, despite the reports of increased support for Hezbollah in Lebanon and elsewhere (some of which HAS to be propaganda), one has to wonder what ALL those people who are under Hezbollah’s domination would say about disarming them if they were truly free to speak their minds?

Talking to our enemies is NOT the same as giving in to them, and if the reasons for discussion are publicized as well as our point of view (once talks are underway), it sends a message to the intimidated and oppressed that we are aware of their plight. For those with any doubt about their current leadership, it feeds that doubt.

Most importantly, if there is any possibility for resolving our differences with Iran, an opportunity will not not have been overlooked. The President would do well to consider the advantage of being able to say “we tried, and now have no other options,” provided of course there is bi-partisan participation in such talks to verify that position.

Think of it as tunneling past the adversarial leadership in order to address the people. This time around we have to accurately assess what portion of the Iranian population would truly prefer to avoid war and give them every opportunity to prove it.

Chamberlain believed that Germany had been badly treated by the Allies after it was defeated in the First World War (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWW.htm). He therefore thought that the German government had genuine grievances and that these needed to be addressed. He also thought that by agreeing to some of the demands being made by Adolf Hitler (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERhitler.htm) of Germany and Benito Mussolini (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWmussolini.htm) of Italy, he could avoid a European war.

The above says it all. I'm sure you realize is under dictatorships they have complete control over the media, there's no way to win the hearts and minds of the populations. Under Hitler if you were caught listening to western propaganda you could be shot on the spot. Hisbula is no different than the Storm Troopers or the SS of Germany, there's no question in my mind the president of Lebanon has to go along with Hisbula or he and his family will die. These Muslim fascist's operate the same way Stalin did, he had no qualms about killing millions of his own people to achieve his goals. There's only one way to rid the world of that cancer and you know what that is.

T.D.

Show Me the Wire
08-17-2006, 03:59 PM
TD:

Can just see Indulto's next posting.

TD can you prove that Hezbollah threatened to kill the Lebanese president and his family?

Indulto
08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
... I'm sure you realize is under dictatorships they have complete control over the media, there's no way to win the hearts and minds of the populations. Under Hitler if you were caught listening to western propaganda you could be shot on the spot. Hisbula is no different than the Storm Troopers or the SS of Germany, there's no question in my mind the president of Lebanon has to go along with Hisbula or he and his family will die. These Muslim fascist's operate the same way Stalin did, he had no qualms about killing millions of his own people to achieve his goals. There's only one way to rid the world of that cancer and you know what that is.You're probably right, but even if you are, if we want to regain the rest of the world's respect for the American people (and perhaps our own collective self-respect) -- and if only for the sake of national unity -- we need to make sure we walked that extra mile.

BTW Chamberlain's mistake was giving in, not in talking. ;)

twindouble
08-17-2006, 04:07 PM
TD:

Can just see Indulto's next posting.

TD can you prove that Hezbollah threatened to kill the Lebanese president and his family?

Well I tell you what, there's no way I would pack up my family go there and demonstrate against Hesbula. Would you?

T.D.

twindouble
08-17-2006, 04:30 PM
You're probably right, but even if you are, if we want to regain the rest of the world's respect for the American people (and perhaps our own collective self-respect) -- and if only for the sake of national unity -- we need to make sure we walked that extra mile.

BTW Chamberlain's mistake was giving in, not in talking. ;)

I don't know how many times he shuttled back and fourth, many I think. His last trip he come back with a flimsy peace of paper for an agreement that shortly was used to wipe his butt.

All the extra miles we walk with these animals the further intrenched they will get and like Hitler will become a huge problem. They are a big enough problem as it is, those that can't see or understand it compound the problem further. I'll stake my life on it.

Show Me the Wire
08-17-2006, 04:43 PM
TD:

I agree with you.

I was parodying Indulto's insigtful questions to me; "Is it really safe to assume that the voting majority “electing” the President of Iran did so based on conviction much less to “continue violence?”

Indulto asks the above question like it is not general knowledge that the majority of the Arab world wants to rid the region of Israel and some how the peace loving people of Iran are at odds with the general Arab philosophy.

twindouble
08-17-2006, 04:47 PM
TD:

I agree with you.

I was parodying Indulto's insigtful questions to me; "Is it really safe to assume that the voting majority “electing” the President of Iran did so based on conviction much less to “continue violence?”

Indulto asks the above question like it is not general knowledge that the majority of the Arab world wants to rid the region of Israel and some how the peace loving people of Iran are at odds with the general Arab philosophy.

I'm not good at connecting other peoples dots unless it's a horse race. :cool: